Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So what? You know what I'm saying is true. I managed to get another poster on here so riled up that they refused to reply to me for fear of being banned. Means I hit close to him, which means they know I'm right and that the truth hurts. I used to be 120 pounds overweight. Unlike most obese Americans right now that think instead of making a BIG effort to lose weight, they come up with pathetic excuses like body shaming, glandular problem (please, 30-40% of the US population has a glandular problem? BS), and "fat acceptance movement". It's called get off your rump and walk and stop stuffing your face full of crap. If I can do it, then most people can. I still have 40 pounds left, but the fact that 30+% of the population either refuses to do it or have a defeatist attitude about it, then it's time more drastic measures are taken. If it means taking their excess sugar away, then it must be done.

Not only that, but these obese adults are passing their bad habits down to their children. Now children are fatter than ever before! When I was in high school, you just had the token fat kid of the class. Now it's like half the class is fat. That is ridiculous, and bordering on child abuse.
Their activities are on a computer, phone or x box.. they don't move anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:29 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
To eat healthy , walk around the outer perimeter of the grocery store.. stay out of the aisles..

Old 06-16-2016, 11:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When I was a kid in the 70's the common lunch included a bologna/ham sandwich with cheese, cupcakes, soda and a candy. I can show you pictures of my class and there was perhaps two or three kids that had any weight problem at all, one of them later turned out to be medical problem. The difference between my generation and generations now is we exercised daily, bikes, sports etc. It was always something. These kids lives now are so regimented and protected they can't or don't do that.

If it's the low income this is affecting the most, why are we not insisting food stamps can only be used to buy certain products?
My parents also told me portion sizes were a lot smaller back in the 60s. No 20oz soda bottles, 8-10 oz was the norm. Meat, fruit, and vegetables were not expensive compared to processed food back then. It's a common myth that kids exercised more and that is the sole reason why kids were skinny back then. You're also just talking about school lunches. What about breakfast and dinner at home? Kids don't eat one meal a day, well, usually.

Exercise isn't the only solution. Eating crap and exercising is a waste of time. Unless you are blessed with above average metabolism, eating 6 slices of pizza a day and drinking a half liter of soda (and juice) a day is still going to make you fat. Asian kids don't exercise as much because they are too busy studying. Why are they still skinny? Why now, when more and more Japanese are Westernizing their diets, is obesity now going up in Japan, too? We have an exercise problem, yes, but we also have a diet problem. What do health experts say to be healthy? Exercise and eat a balanced diet, not just exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
To eat healthy , walk around the outer perimeter of the grocery store.. stay out of the aisles..
This I do all the time. I very seldom buy anything from the aisles. But in the outer perimeter, I avoid the juice, iced tea, and soda sections. I have a soda or juice maybe once a month, same with beer or wine. I went almost cold turkey on anything that isn't milk or water, but the key is to eat less than 8 tsp of sugars a day. 1 serving of orange juice, grape juice, or Coke or Pepsi almost have 8 tsp of sugar in an 8oz glass. When my grandparents were growing up in the 1920s-1930s, it was very difficult to manage to eat 8 tsp of sugar a day. All this I'm saying were the old wise words of another era before they passed on. Me saying these "liberal control freak" things was what my grandfather who was born in 1920 taught me, not some 35 year old college professor lol

Old 06-17-2016, 12:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Better than increasing income tax.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:38 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Better than increasing income tax.
Yeah, God forbid we decrease spending.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:47 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Big cities are becoming more and more like nanny/police states. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to get my occasional big gulp mt dew from the local friendly convenience store.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Meat, fruit, and vegetables were not expensive compared to processed food back then.
Processed food is expensive, people buy it because it's easy. I can put a delicious wholesome meal on the table for 4 people that costs about $15. You need to shop right and put a little effort into preparing it.

Quote:
It's a common myth that kids exercised more and that is the sole reason why kids were skinny back then.
BS, myself and everyone I knew spent the after school hours riding bikes, playing sports or whatever. We were always doing something.

Quote:
Exercise isn't the only solution. Eating crap and exercising is a waste of time. Unless you are blessed with above average metabolism, eating 6 slices of pizza a day and drinking a half liter of soda (and juice) a day is still going to make you fat.
When I was in my teens eating a whole pizza was easy, I needed those calories. I used to buy two and sometimes 3 lunches and this was back when they were actually fattening and decent sized.

You avoided the question about food stamps....

Old 06-17-2016, 01:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you also oppose people don't dangerous sports?

I'm assuming you want to protect them from themselves and not tie up our healthcare system?

Lol, they probably do. It's a good thing I don't jump out of airplanes anymore, the way I did when I was young and foolish.

I can't believe people are still going off on health tangents here when that's not the issue. My husband and I are both healthy and quite thin (so are our kids), there's not a bag of chips or crackers in the house, and we don't drink "sugary drinks." Yet neither one of us would think of sticking our beaks into other people's food choices, or support additional taxes on junk. The world would be a better place if people minded their own damn business.

Live free or die.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Philadelphia became the first major American city with a soda tax on Thursday despite a multimillion-dollar campaign by the beverage industry to block it.

The City Council gave final approval to a 1.5 cent-per-ounce tax on sugary and diet beverages.

Only Berkeley, California, had a similar law. Soda tax proposals have failed in more than 30 cities and states in recent years. Such plans are typically criticized as disproportionately affecting the poor, who are more likely to consume sugary drinks.

But Democratic Mayor Jim Kenney sold the council on the idea with a plan to spend most of the estimated $90 million in new tax revenue next year to pay for prekindergarten, community schools and recreation centers.

"Thanks to the tireless advocacy of educators, parents, rec center volunteers and so many others,Philadelphia made a historic investment in our neighborhoods and in our education system today," the mayor said after the vote.

The tax, which passed 13-4, is a hard-fought win for the city. The soda industry spent millions of dollars in advertising against the proposal, arguing the tax would be costly to consumers. The plan also attracted national attention and dollars, with former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Texas billionaires John and Laura Arnold, advocates for less consumption of sugary drinks, funding ads in support.

Sounds like they're broke....

Philadelphia becomes 1st major American city with soda tax | Fox News
"Sugary drinks increase the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions."

"People who consume sugary drinks regularly—1 to 2 cans a day or more—have a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than people who rarely have such drinks."

"A study that followed 40,000 men for two decades found that those who averaged one can of a sugary beverage per day had a 20% higher risk of having a heart attack or dying from a heart attack than men who rarely consumed sugary drinks."

"Dr. Frank Hu, Professor of Nutrition and Epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health, recently made a strong case that there is sufficient scientific evidence that decreasing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption will reduce the prevalence of obesity and obesity-related diseases."

ex.ex.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutriti...s-and-disease/

It appears taxes like this save peoples lives, save everyone money on healthcare costs, and provide tax dollars to improve the community.

Last edited by chad3; 06-17-2016 at 02:35 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, God forbid we decrease spending.
You're expecting way too much of city government..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies