Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 12:43 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If the watch list is run like the "no fly" list, it won't be accurate. There is always someone, sometimes even a child on that list that doesn't belong. The late Senator Ted Kennedy was on the "no fly" list for years and had no idea why. So someone loses their rights because a clerk somewhere made a mistake,
Those same clerks are always putting live people on the deceased soc. sec. list and it can take months for them to get their income back.
Ted Kennedy should have been prohibited from owning automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 12:44 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Okay. But we are talking about "obtaining guns legally" here. Not "arresting"

Let's say John Doe is already on "watch list", then he should be immediately reported to FBI, so investigation should start promptly.

My argument is that anybody who are on "terrorism watch list" should NOT be allowed to obtain guns legally.

I understand what you're saying. The FBI already knows who is on the watch list - it's their list.

The point being, if you turn away someone who otherwise should be able to buy a gun, they will then KNOW that they are on the watch list, which they wouldn't have known prior. That would have an almost certain effect on their behavior and actions, they would cease to do anything that might incriminate themselves, thus hamstringing the investigation, making it impossible to gather enough information to make an arrest.

Quote:
We are happy to meet with Donald Trump. The NRA's position on this issue has not changed. The NRA believes that terrorists should not be allowed to purchase or possess firearms, period. Anyone on a terror watchlist who tries to buy a gun should be thoroughly investigated by the FBI and the sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing. If an investigation uncovers evidence of terrorist activity or involvement, the government should be allowed to immediately go to court, block the sale, and arrest the terrorist. At the same time, due process protections should be put in place that allow law-abiding Americans who are wrongly put on a watchlist to be removed.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...ror-watchlists

I don't know how you interpret the above NRA statement, but my interpretation is that anybody on watch list are not going to obtain guns legally UNTIL they are 100% cleared by FBI. Isn't that common sense gun law we are talking about here?

And we're right back to denying a citizen their Constitutionally protected rights without due process. They haven't been found guilty of ANYTHING if they're just on the watch list.

Should we deny them a trial by a jury of their peers, too, and just throw them directly in jail? Revoke their rights to assemble? Deny them the ability to vote? If we're going to abridge one Constitutional right based solely on suspicion, why not the entire BoR?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:46 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I understand what you're saying. The FBI already knows who is on the watch list - it's their list.

The point being, if you turn away someone who otherwise should be able to buy a gun, they will then KNOW that they are on the watch list, which they wouldn't have known prior. That would have an almost certain effect on their behavior and actions, they would cease to do anything that might incriminate themselves, thus hamstringing the investigation, making it impossible to gather enough information to make an arrest.

And we're right back to denying a citizen their Constitutionally protected rights without due process. They haven't been found guilty of ANYTHING if they're just on the watch list.

Should we deny them a trial by a jury of their peers, too, and just throw them directly in jail? Revoke their rights to assemble? Deny them the ability to vote? If we're going to abridge one Constitutional right based solely on suspicion, why not the entire BoR?
I am not talking about those who are wrongfully put on the watch list.

NRA is very clear on that

Old 06-17-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
well, then why are we arguing?

sale delayed while the investigation is ongoing To me, that is some common sense gun law right there. Nobody is saying once you are on watch list, you should LOSE your right forever.

How long does the typical investigation last? What's the average amount of time someone spends on the watch list?

Is it days? Months? YEARS? I don't know.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:49 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:

But they can be denied their rights for a long time until it is proved they are innocent.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Yes, you are. You said they should lose their right to legally buy firearms while they are on the list.

In order to be "wrongfully put on the watch list" you have to be....well.....ON the list. Right?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Yes, you are. You said they should lose their right to legally buy firearms while they are on the list.

In order to be "wrongfully put on the watch list" you have to be....well.....ON the list. Right?
I can't help you if you don't understand the point I was making.

I am saying they shouldn't be able to obtain guns legally UNTIL investigation is over.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I can't help you if you don't understand the point I was making.

I am saying they shouldn't be obtain guns legally UNTIL investigation is over.
Which could take years.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Which could take years.
well, then why should there even be such a "watch list." watch them for what?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
well, then why should there even be such a "watch list." watch them for what?
Good question. Mateen was on it more than once and they cleared him. As Tommy Lee Jones said in a movie, " the FBI could not find a hooker in a wh***house"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies