Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 01:19 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Unchecked illegal immigration, the proliferation of low life families, ah yes....America's future is so bright, we all need to wear shades...
Well, considering that people get this all the time when complaining about policy, and not even culture, I offer you a question:

What's keeping you here?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Why? Are their urges less fervent than a man's?
Nope - but then, there is EQUAL responsibility, isn't there?????

Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
The more of them I meet, the more repulsed I am by their whining, their "suffering", pleas for sympathy, weak excuses, and all the free handouts received.

Everyone makes mistakes, I understand poor decisions with unrealistic expectations. You make a poor decision, you suffer the repercussions of it, learn from it, and DON'T DO IT AGAIN. This is a simple equation.

Nature's sensible book of rules proves that if food is scarce in the area then breeding may cease altogether. Squirrels seem to understand this concept; humans do not, and are even rewarded for overbreeding without having resources to care for their young.

Here's a classic, personal example that could easily be any one of the millions of the new "single mother" class in the United States: Female, age 28, bordering on obesity, two children, two daddies, never married. Earns around $12/hr working full time (when she actually makes it in to work, there's always a new problem or crisis) Like a revolving door kids are perpetually sick, daycare rejects sick children, baby-daddy isn't showing up for his share of visitation, etc etc etc.

Her tough life includes making payments on a large, expensive SUV (why a young woman with two small children drives a huge truck with towing capabilities is unclear to me), making a dozen social chit chat calls every day on her cell phone when there is a (free) land line phone sitting on her desk, spending evenings playing video games on the latest game console or watching cable TV at home, and eating out for lunch every day at six to eight bucks a pop.

Wow, do I feel for her struggles and sacrifices. Of course all of this is made possible by the following rewards:
  • upcoming tax refund of $3500 per child (coming from a system that she contributed absolutely nothing to)
  • free groceries (courtesy of food stamps)
  • free medical care for the two offspring
  • discounted child care rates
  • free milk and cheese for the offspring
"I'd like to have more children someday."
"I can't pay my dentist bill because I'm a single parent and it was an expense I wasn't expecting."
"Oh, everything I eat is fattening! [insert giggle here]"

And the list goes on.

With the exception of women who are widowed or otherwise left alone due to death of the other committed parent, I have ZERO respect for single mothers. Worthless, lazy leeches. A true scourge of the industrious sector of society. Whenever I'm asked for help or a favor from one of these breeders, here's what I say: "No."

Shaking my head with disgust...
what about single fathers?, i know a couple?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
As do I.

Mom skipped town - leaving Dad with the kids

Old 02-17-2008, 01:33 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
You haven't met a lot of Army Wives.

And most people don't refer to situations as black or white. A two parent household is always preferable, providing the family is solid. If the family is toxic, it might not be the best thing for the kid. And my comment was a challenge to you assertion that a woman could not raise a little boy to be a man without a man, when in fact, they have been doing so since the beginning of time.
Anything is possible, and there are few rules without exceptions. Most drunk drivers never actually hurt ANYBODY at all, but sober drivers are preferable. Some sixth-grade dropouts become millionaires, but it's better to be educated. Some abused and sodomized children grow up into very compassionate adults, but that's not a recommended way to treat kids. Most unfaithful spouses are perfectly faithful, SOME of the time...

And some single mothers raise wonderful sons, but a father figure can be helpful on rare occasions....provide we can sober him up, pry him away from his mistress, or bail him out of jail in time for the kid's school play. A GOOD man, rare as these may be, is better than NO man...(but not much, I suppose)..

Old 02-17-2008, 01:39 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nope - but then, there is EQUAL responsibility, isn't there?????

That's exactly what I was saying as are the rest of the posters on this board in defense of the single woman GreatDay.. so your response of she could just say no didn't make sense..

If he wants to say yes.. then he can put on a condom and take care of HIS birth control.. she can take a pill to take care of HER birth control..

Etc, etc.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
I wonder how many of the cons are deadbeat fathers. Seems like a lot of blame and anger for the women, when as poster after poster keeps pointing out that it takes two to tango. Also, I wonder about all of this support that you are tired of giving to single mothers or even fathers. What dollar amount does the average citizen contribute to welfare? Just curious here.
I'm fortunate enough to be a professional with a college degree, but I have worked with families in housing and in my experience it's usually a traditional family unit that is receiving government assistance. But, regardless of the situation, I just cannot see how someone would choose that life for themselves. I would truthfully be terrified of living in housing with all of the drugs and weapons and I live in a small town. I can't imagine what it's like for those attempting to make a life for their children in a larger city. And you begrudge them food vouchers from WIC? Seriously?
It's easy to sit in your recliners sporting your beer stained shirts while nodding your head yes to whatever the latest report is concerning welfare, but unless you've spent some time in their environment, your condemnation is not valid.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:20 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I wonder how many of the cons are deadbeat fathers. Seems like a lot of blame and anger for the women, when as poster after poster keeps pointing out that it takes two to tango. Also, I wonder about all of this support that you are tired of giving to single mothers or even fathers. What dollar amount does the average citizen contribute to welfare? Just curious here.
I'm fortunate enough to be a professional with a college degree, but I have worked with families in housing and in my experience it's usually a traditional family unit that is receiving government assistance. But, regardless of the situation, I just cannot see how someone would choose that life for themselves. I would truthfully be terrified of living in housing with all of the drugs and weapons and I live in a small town. I can't imagine what it's like for those attempting to make a life for their children in a larger city. And you begrudge them food vouchers from WIC? Seriously?
It's easy to sit in your recliners sporting your beer stained shirts while nodding your head yes to whatever the latest report is concerning welfare, but unless you've spent some time in their environment, your condemnation is not valid.

Rep points from me on that one!!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Glad to hear from you again, Moosketeer. I think it's important to point out that SOME of us, while "chiming in" on this topic in particular, while ADMITTING as you say that there are certainly WORSE malefactors out there (the thread IS about single mothers), nevertheless draw a distinction. A mother abandoned, or who had to leave a faithless or abusive husband, or a widowed mother, in MY estimation, is not a "single mother". A single mother is one who sets out, by design or by 'accident', to bring a child into the world without the reasonable expectation of its having a 'father-figure'.

I realize this isn't considered a breath-taking 'sin' in much of the world today-just wanted to point out that distinction. And at the risk of revealing my very recent Cro-Magnon roots, I will venture "out on a limb", and make the assertion that though there are plenty of good women raising kids alone, I STILL say (stand by while I duck for cover) that I do NOT think a woman, by herself, can do a very good job of turning a little boy into a responsible man. They can try, they sometimes succeed after a fashion, but I think a male role model is EXCEEDINGLY important for the development of a boy....and those who doubt this have only to look at the problems of the "inner city", where, for one reason or another, small boys live in great abundance, but responsible, caring adult men are about as easy to find as intellectuals in the White House....
Well, you save me a lot of typing and made some of my points! I think when people say "single mother" derisively, they are referring to the women who get pregnant, while unmarried by the "it just happened" method. Usually several times by several men. These women GENERALLY are the ones who have their hands out, play the victim card, scream it takes two to tango (even though it is their body that they have complete control over) and generally are pretty irresponsible. My big beef with this group of women (again, in GENERAL) is when they actually do work and have excuse after excuse of sluffing off work, being late, making horrendous amounts of personal calls, crying and complaining LOUDLY to get sympathy, acting like it is everyones concern when they have personal problems, etc. My sympathy is about 0 for these women.

On the other hand I am quite compassionate for a woman that is raising kids alone after a divorce she didn't cause/want, being widowed, etc. They are two different breeds of person. One responsible the other a whiney victim that blames the world for their own poor choices.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
I think they should also be cut off from a life of welfare dependency, food stamps, WIC and housing.

You breed 'em, you feed 'em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies