Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times

Advertisements

No disgust for single mothers at all. I have disgust for the guys that don't own up to their responsibilities though.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Hey.. I've got news for men out there..it's not easy being a MARRIED woman and mother these days.. cause in alot of households the woman have to WORK TOO as Cost of Living is so high these days it takes 2 incomes to make it in the "middle class" class. AND us woman are expected to balance both work, taking care of the kids AND the husband!!

I couldn't imagine doing it all alone.. God bless those single moms out there and I hope I never have to be one.. (single that is.. I lvoe the mom part)
Having had my husband away for 6 months while he was serving in the military, and having him home now..... frankly, the difference of him being home or not as far as my level of responsibilities has not changed a whole lot.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:54 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
As for child care.. it's expensive.. heck where I live it can cost you about $400/week!! and if you have an admistrative job that pays only between $30 - 40K that's almost your entire take home pay a week! So I can see how a single mom, who has a blue collar secretarial job or office job may need the extra help with housing, food and daycare so that she CAN work.
That administrative employee is unlikely to qualify for childcare vouchers, unfortunately, but they are expected to pull some money out of their bum to pay for childcare while they work to pay their rent.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:20 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
To the OP, I take offense to your post. I was a single mother of 3 daughters. I never once asked for a hand out, applied to WIC or foodstamps. I did it on own, I sometimes worked 2 or 3 jobs to provide for my family. Sure I missed out on my kids soccer games, recitals, etc., because I was working. They didn't always have the latest trendy clothes to wear, but learned to appreciate what they had and they grew up to be very fine young women. It's people like you that I have no respect for, you DISGUST me!

Old 02-17-2008, 07:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise in Fla View Post
To the OP, I take offense to your post. I was a single mother of 3 daughters. I never once asked for a hand out, applied to WIC or foodstamps. I did it on own, I sometimes worked 2 or 3 jobs to provide for my family. Sure I missed out on my kids soccer games, recitals, etc., because I was working. They didn't always have the latest trendy clothes to wear, but learned to appreciate what they had and they grew up to be very fine young women. It's people like you that I have no respect for, you DISGUST me!
I'm affraid the OP's one of those people who puts the blame on the victims rather then where it belongs. Heaven forbid that the blame fall on a man.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:31 AM

22 posts, read 83,277 times
Although I can understand your disgust with the scenario you mentioned, you exercised poor judgment in classifying an entire group of people in this category.
Please do your self a favor and if you must judge, judge that person because everyone does not always fit into the same mold.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM

783 posts, read 2,586,739 times
ignorance started this thread. just my 2 cents

Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Ignorance, lack of compassion, sexism, I can think of alot of things like this that are reflected in the words that started this thread.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Having had my husband away for 6 months while he was serving in the military, and having him home now..... frankly, the difference of him being home or not as far as my level of responsibilities has not changed a whole lot.

Kind of a sad comment on just how much responsibility men are responsible for....

Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Single mothers got that way with somebody else's "help" ( or lack of thereof).

I am not sure why we single out single mothers as some kind of societal disaster and demonise them so much, when there are far worse offenders such as men who are quite happy to sleep with you but will abandon you as soon as responsibility beckon, tax dodgers, liars, cheats, corporate tax evasions experts, ( which costs the Nation far worse than all the "benefits" received by some people), corporate criminals etc..

Most single mothers do work, very hard and do take care of their kids , some in very difficult circumstances. Some are widowed, many were simply abandoned by feckless fathers.

I feel disgust for those who judge an entire class of people simply on hear-say, media hysteria and exaggeration etc..

There is nothing wrong with being single and a Mom , it's a very hard, demanding and important job which most do admirably and without much help. One I would never want to do and not be capable of.

I would certainly not begrudge them some help considering they are raising children. A fairly crucial and unappreciated task. And a thankless one at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies