Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The SNP are no longer a majority Government in Scotland, and have lost ground. Whilst the Scottish Tories have gained ground. This swing to the Tories and the fact Scotland voted No does not suggest the West is somehow collapsing.
So if you agree with me, that this is irrelevant, why are you doing the little rolleyes thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Geez...and here I am thinking that life is pretty good here in the West.

But I come here and realize that we're in the midst of an apocalypse.
How oblivious does someone have to be to think things are going well? Talk about bread and circuses. Both the left and the right agree that things are profoundly wrong. This isn't just in the US but throughout the Western world with the rise of both left-wing and right-wing parties. Do you actually believe that our political and economic systems still work as intended?

Very, very few people have faith in their governments anymore. The current generations expect future generations to do worse than them. Polling shows that most people think the country is on the wrong track. While I am probably one of the few that believes the West has begun it's implosion, I think most people have a vague sense that something isnt right.

If the US were Rome, it would be about 400 AD. I doubt the Romans thought Rome was about to fall. Surely Louis XVII didn't think the ancien regime would end. Things are great for the elites until suddenly they aren't.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 AM

91 posts, read 125,978 times
Interesting question, you would have to define the "West" first for most to be able to carry out this conversation.
Most people have little clue what western civilization actually means, where its foundation was laid and which aspects of society today reflect the philosophy of the West.
Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Aquinas...

Old 06-20-2016, 10:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
How oblivious does someone have to be to think things are going well? Talk about bread and circuses. Both the left and the right agree that things are profoundly wrong. This isn't just in the US but throughout the Western world with the rise of both left-wing and right-wing parties. Do you actually believe that our political and economic systems still work as intended?

Very, very few people have faith in their governments anymore. The current generations expect future generations to do worse than them. Polling shows that most people think the country is on the wrong track. While I am probably one of the few that believes the West has begun it's implosion, I think most people have a vague sense that something isnt right.

If the US were Rome, it would be about 400 AD. I doubt the Romans thought Rome was about to fall. Surely Louis XVII didn't think the ancien regime would end. Things are great for the elites until suddenly they aren't.
People have ALWAYS hated their governments. Nothing is new under the sun.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Geez...and here I am thinking that life is pretty good here in the West.

But I come here and realize that we're in the midst of an apocalypse.
We are headed there.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
We are headed there.
Sucks to be you I guess. I'm not headed there.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
People have ALWAYS hated their governments. Nothing is new under the sun.
I didn't hate my government till it started to rule for themselves instead of FOR ALL PEOPLE.

Both sides of the aisle had good presidents and both sides worked together. There was not the division as it is today. The hate is off the charts. Dividing us into race , gender, class and party division .. we can't even come together after a tragedy.. it is all politics.. all about advancing their cause politically. It has become sickening.

Can't we all get together with one mind and see us as all Americans anymore? I think it is dead.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Sucks to be you I guess. I'm not headed there.
With the weapons we have today and the instability we have around the world it is inevitable. I made my peace.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
the simple fact is that they just don't have an answer for the play and leadership of LeBron and Kyrie

Old 06-20-2016, 10:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the simple fact is that they just don't have an answer for the play and leadership of LeBron and Kyrie
Awesome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies