Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't care if you are right or wrong
Arguing for the sake or arguing is not a good idea.

Quote:
Now about that claim that I'm some extreme right winger because I correctly pointed out that you don't need a passport to take vacation and travel in the US. Thats pretty much inexcusable to call me out on that in order to try and make your points.
Nothing wrong with not having a passport. I simply mentioned that because many Americans are unaware that there are other parts of the planet that are also developed and quite civilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
"Put simply, independent contractors are cheaper for companies to hire. Employers don't have to offer them benefits like health insurance and 401(k)s, pay them overtime or give them paid days off. They don't have to pay into state unemployment insurance or worker's compensation funds on the contractors' behalf. And they don't have to cover the employer share of their payroll taxes or withhold income taxes. "

The only part of that that is really true is the bold. Employers don't have to offer anyone health insurance, 401Ks, or give them paid days off.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post

Nothing wrong with not having a passport. I simply mentioned that because many Americans are unaware that there are other parts of the planet that are also developed and quite civilized.
Its not arguing for the sake of arguing, its pushing for more fact based argument rather than emotional and anecdotal references.

There was nothing "simple" about what you said regarding the passport situation. You lumped my comment into a group of comments that you claimed were extreme right wing concepts and went on to imply that it was so wildly off base that one might think you were making it up. Unfortunately my own insistence on using facts seemed to backfire on me here because you reacted so adversely to the simple fact.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:17 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:

I think that's a stretch. Americans travel quite frequently. We are also a huge country with dozens of different ethnic regions all under one roof. No passport required.

The distance between Berlin and London is less than the distance between Southern California and Eureka, California. If you drive from Berlin west you pass through maybe four countries and take a tunnel. A passport isn't the sign of anything.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I think that's a stretch. Americans travel quite frequently. We are also a huge country with dozens of different ethnic regions all under one roof. No passport required.

The distance between Berlin and London is less than the distance between Southern California and Eureka, California. If you drive from Berlin west you pass through maybe four countries and take a tunnel. A passport isn't the sign of anything.
https://mic.com/articles/28780/why-6...u-s#.VYtdf8dOf

Quote:
Sixty four percent of the population of the richest and most influential country in the world have never been abroad.

Americans received an average of 12 days of vacation in 2012 (down from 14 in 2011), but used only 10. Moreover, 68% of American vacationers admitted to checking in with the office either “regularly†or “sometimes†during their vacations, which suggests that most Americans are still prioritizing work during their time off. From a cultural standpoint, we Americans are clearly a little overly concerned with our jobs.

(Before you defend our vacation masochism and accuse the Europeans of being lazy, according to a mounting body of research, failing to take vacation is counter-productive; see studies from each of these: The Atlantic, Time, BusinessWeek, Harvard Business Review, Ernst & Young, New York Times).

According to a 2012 LivingSocial study, three of Americans’ top ten dream destinations are right here in the United States, including Las Vegas and Disney World. Really? Of all the amazing places to go in the world, with seven continents and over 200 countries, we pick Disney World as a dream destination? Let’s dream a little bigger than that.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:27 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
But, if you do not visit other countries you will never get a clear picture. You need to go to Germany and the Netherlands and talk to those folks and see how they live.

Many of us (Americans) have this false concept that life is hell everywhere except the USA. It is hard to imagine that workers in other countries have it better than we do.

It would be great for some people and awful for others. I could not have the lifestyle I like in Europe. I have relatives in eastern and western Europe, have visted and know their lives, and they are used to it but like many Americans, I would not like it. I would prefer not to be a lifetime worker bee with cradle to grave government entitlements. Could not practice my hobbies there either, due to prices and regulations. I know lots of younger people would prefer Europe. I don't think US should go in that direction, it is unique and has opened up a lot of opportunities for people around the world to want to immigrate here.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It would be great for some people and awful for others. I could not have the lifestyle I like in Europe. I have relatives in eastern and western Europe, have visted and know their lives, and they are used to it but like many Americans, I would not like it. I would prefer not to be a lifetime worker bee with cradle to grave government entitlements. Could not practice my hobbies there either, due to prices and regulations. I know lots of younger people would prefer Europe. I don't think US should go in that direction, it is unique and has opened up a lot of opportunities for people around the world to want to immigrate here.
America continues to be a great country for those of us that are "upper middle class and above" with a solid education, good family, and a secure job. However, the larger fraction of Americans are struggling and now have a lifestyle that is below the middle class in Europe.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Halloween's a way off yet. It was YOUR argument, not mine, bub, that I disputed.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Halloween's a way off yet. It was YOUR argument, not mine, bub, that I disputed.
Halloween????????????????

Old 06-23-2016, 01:07 PM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
America continues to be a great country for those of us that are "upper middle class and above" with a solid education, good family, and a secure job. However, the larger fraction of Americans are struggling and now have a lifestyle that is below the middle class in Europe.
Struggling working/ middle class America is still not clamoring for European style government control. They just want jobs - vacation benefits is secondary. US can pull out of this with good, smart strategy, we don't need European role model, they have some serious problems now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies