Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:37 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,307,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How can you use "mandated" and "freedom" in the same sentence?
Why is it wrong to mandate someone to be happy and free with no work for two weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:41 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,830,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why is it wrong to mandate someone to be happy and free with no work for two weeks?
Your view of "happy and free" may not be the same as someone else's. By that logic you see no problem with mandating 60 hour work weeks because someone views that as what constitutes "Freedom and Happiness"

How about mandated sterilization because freedom and happiness from the stress and responsibilities of having and raising kids is awesome!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Freedom is the right to live as I see fit. Free to engage in any kind of employment I choose, whether as an employee of a large corporation, a small business or being a business owner myself.
Mandated time off does not alter any of the above and if anything gives you MORE FREEDOM.

Quote:
Freedom is being able to determine what I believe is important to bring me happiness, not having my choice of career or employment mandated by government.

Freedom is being able to change my job or my career or the state I live in because that is what I want to do and no regulations or government oversight can prevent that.
OK!

Quote:
To me freedom is having the ability to pay cash for a car, have the savings necessary to pay for my kids' college educations and to provide for a home in a nice, safe neighborhood.
That is a desire and it is not a GIVEN. This depends on your ability to secure a good paying job and to remain employed. IN my definition of freedom that dream is a given with no worries or concerns.

Quote:
To me Freedom is being able to secure my future with a robust savings account and investment portfolio so that if I or my husband should lose our jobs, we have 6 months of expenses available to keep us going without the stress and worry of losing our home.
That is what I called BAD freedom. Ending in dire straits is a possibility in your so-called free world. Within my definition of freedom I have a better chance to survive than you do. And the great thing is that I do not have to worry or stress about it. Getting up every morning and knowing all basic needs are available with no stress is true ultimate freedom. However, you must work hard for that freedom and at the end you may not make it. Not every hard working person in America gets there. In fact many are in dire straits and hope that Trump will help them.

Quote:
Freedom to me is hoping into the motorhome for a weekend or a week and driving someplace beautiful and relaxing.

Freedom to me is being able to live the life I choose and not having to explain it to anyone else!
No arguments here.

Great post, but there is more to ultimate freedom.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Your view of "happy and free" may not be the same as someone else's. By that logic you see no problem with mandating 60 hour work weeks because someone views that as what constitutes "Freedom and Happiness"

How about mandated sterilization because freedom and happiness from the stress and responsibilities of having and raising kids is awesome!
No one is required to take vacation. If you have a job that offers six weeks of vacation you are more than welcomed to continue to work. However, a good boss recognizes the importance of time off.

Sterilization is not a mandate, but it is available to anyone that wants it. What is your point? That makes no sense.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:29 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,690,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Uh huh. Lol, man you people are a piece of work. Negotiating for vacation. Sure.
It worked for me. Sorry if negotiating is not one of your skills.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It worked for me. Sorry if negotiating is not one of your skills.
People with negotiating skills get nice vacation.
People with no negotiating skills get no vacation.

Got it!

: smack:

Old 06-23-2016, 09:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
I mandate you all buy an AR-15 and go shooting. It's fun.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:02 PM

I mandate you all to buy an RV and see America. No passport required.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 PM

I mandate you all to work 60 hours a week. It's for your own good.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I mandate you all to work 60 hours a week. It's for your own good.
This may be incomprehensible to most right wing folks, but the work hours per week will continue to fall because most of the work will be done by machines.

Eventually, humans will not have to work at all. Therefore, the issue of vacation will be moot.

An not having to work to survive is ultimate freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies