Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:24 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm pretty sure no cop is going to walk up to you and smack you on the head for jaywalking.

'Violence' is a bit dramatic.
when did the topic change to jaywalking? And I wouldn't be so sure about a cop not getting phyisical over a jaywalking beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:25 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
when did the topic change to jaywalking? And I wouldn't be so sure about a cop not getting phyisical over a jaywalking beef.
You are equating law making to violence though, that's a hell of a stretch.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,421,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You are equating law making to violence though, that's a hell of a stretch.
No it isn't. What happens when a law is disobeyed?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Considering that the US has the least vacation time of any developed country in the world and the only country that doesnt guarantee workers at least some vacation time, do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
No. Government should never tell businesses how much vacation time or holiday time or sick time people get.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:45 PM

58,994 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
They have been taking worker's rights away, so I doubt what we think is fair or just will make a difference. As the jobs left the country, conditions got worse and the only hope to see an improvement is for jobs to return to the US at which time employers will have to compete against one another.

My husband got 2 weeks after working 2 years. Only one week can be taken at a time. Memorial Day holiday was cancelled 6 days before the holiday and this isn't unusual for a holiday to be taken away at the last minute. This company produces snack cakes & donuts, so it isn't like someone would die if a holiday was observed.

Years ago, after 8 years in Federal Civil Service, I had I think over 3 weeks of vacation and another 3 weeks for sick leave plus lots of holidays. You would think that civilian labor and benefits would be reflected in what our local, state and federal jobs had to offer. This is why politicians don't have a clue, as they don't live in the real world with the rest of us.
"You would think that civilian labor and benefits would be reflected in what our local, state and federal jobs had to offer."

Local, state and federal jobs are paid for with TAX DOLLARS.

They don't have to worry about the "bottom line".

Businesses do NOT have that luxury.

It looks like is is you, who " don't have a clue, as they don't live in the real world with the rest of us."

Old 06-20-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I absolutely support mandatory time off. Practically the only advanced country without guaranteed vacation?
" I absolutely support mandatory time off.'

Of course you do because YOU don't have to pay for it.

Your free to write a check to EVERY company in America to cover the costs.

I guess you are in favor of MORE jobs going overseas also.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:50 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Fine, cage, or death.

Unless you're in the government.

That was easy. Gimme something hard like what's the atomic weight of Cobalt? (without Googling)

Old 06-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I believe the Gov't defines that as a 40 hour work week or more with the same employer
I think, because of O Care, full time is now 35 hours per week.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:20 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,949 times
Quote:
Depends on the crime. Generally, unless it's capital punishment, there is no violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" I absolutely support mandatory time off.'

Of course you do because YOU don't have to pay for it.

Your free to write a check to EVERY company in America to cover the costs.

I guess you are in favor of MORE jobs going overseas also.
Most every other modern nation has these laws. Would you also argue for allowing sweat shops because the poor ole companies are losing money to those awful regulations?

Old 06-20-2016, 02:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,839,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Right wingers love family values, correct? And feel govt should protect family values. Yet, American families work incredibly long hours and have the lowest amount of vacation time in the developed world. Whats so great about this? Are you against all worker's rights? No weekend, no 40 hour work week, you want back to the 19th century?
WRONG! As a conservative, I believe that the government has the role set out in the Constitution and "protecting family values" is not listed anywhere within the Constitution.

Why are you equating lower vacation rates currently to the standards of workers during the Industrial Revolution? That is absurd!

Many people who are offered vacation do not use it because they cannot afford to take time off to travel, etc., and prefer working.

The goal in life is to pursue your happiness, and if lack of vacation days makes you unhappy, then find a new employer, find a way to make a living on your own terms and at the times you set out.

No one OWES you a job, much less paid time away from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies