Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:34 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
What ever happened to Majority rules?? Ohh I know..the past 7.50 years with GOP demanding super majority to get anything past will come back to haunt them!! Sure They can halt anything actually getting done..and blame Dems for it all..But that behaviour has actually pointed to just why things never get done in DC.. People will work across the aisle..BUT in the end it always comes down to SUPER Majority...MAn it's not surprising electorate nation wide are so angry!!

Politicians are suppose to compromise..but since BO got elected..that word was refused to be uttered by any Republican..and when John Boehner simply refused to utter that word post 2010 election and took over as House Speaker actually exposed what GOPer's were all about..Block/blame/refuse/cause Government shutdowns/The list is actually endless...

I am actually surprised.US was actually able to climb out of that DITCH he was left in back in 2009!! Business/high end rollers are profiting/Jobs ( tho lower end types majority) It's disgraceful really that BO was actually contained to the tenth degree..YET at least USA didn't suffer like other Countries..who used austerity measures..and then after 3-4 years..altered that because AUSTERITY does not work!!

BTW~~ Republican Congress caused implementation of all those major cutbacks due to inability to negotiate budget..and yet they have the nerve to blame BO..It's disgusting as I watched it..but selective memory actual enable some to BLAME BO for that..

GOP wants power..but it's been used to demonize and block any movement on everything..I'm afraid these folks have set a president they will regret..and Yes the past 7.5 years has Produced Heir Trumphft ..THAT's on GOP Congress 100%
Liberal definition of compromise = You do everything we want and we will do nothing that you want.
No thanks.

bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 05:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
What ever happened to Majority rules??

Ohh I know..the past 7.50 years with GOP demanding super majority to get anything past will come back to haunt them!! Sure They can halt anything actually getting done..and blame Dems for it all..But that behaviour has actually pointed to just why things never get done in DC.. People will work across the aisle..BUT in the end it always comes down to SUPER Majority...MAn it's not surprising electorate nation wide are so angry!!

Ohh where to start. Firstly most if not all of those 53 votes would have been from Republicans in favor of it.

Secondly the 60 vote threshold has been a agreed upon rule forever EXCEPT when the Democrats used the "nuclear option" a few years back. That is going to come back to haunt them.

Quote:
Politicians are suppose to compromise..
It was reasonable compromise, it helped address the concerns of stripping someone of their rights and would alert law enforcement to anyone trying to buy gun on that list so they could stop it in court.

I will add again the Democrats amendment would have a lot of difficulty getting past the courts, far more than this one.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-20-2016 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 05:45 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
"sensible gun laws..."
IMO, the basic question that must be asked to determine if a proposed law is "sensible" is very simple:
IF this law had been in effect a year ago, would any of the mass shootings been prevented?

If the answer is NO, then it is not a sensible law.
If the answer is "maybe", then it is probably not a sensible law.
If the answer is YES, then perhaps it is a sensible law.

From what I have heard and read, NONE of the proposed laws that were voted down would have prevented any of the mass shootings. In fact, many of the proposals are already in force!
By the way, I am NOT an NRA member, nor am I a GOA member, nor am I a member of any such organization. I am just one of those guys who makes a a habit of writing my representatives, telling what I think they should do. You know, like we ALL should do!

Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The most recent poll I could find, CNN/ORC Poll June 16-19/2016

55 % of Americans favor stricter gun control laws

54 % favor a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of semi-automatic assault guns, such as the AK-47.

Guns

Yeah - like a poll from the Commie News Net matters.

I just made up a poll that says 80% or Americans think everyone should have a gun available and training to protect themselves since the police can't and or won't.

And - glad to see all those knee jerk bills failed. Maybe there is a tiny bit of common sense left in Congress after all.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
From what I have heard and read, NONE of the proposed laws that were voted down would have prevented any of the mass shootings. In fact, many of the proposals are already in force!
I don't think any of these laws will stop these mass shootings. That said the Republican amendment that was shot down by the Democrats would have flagged the Orlando shooter because he was on that list within the last five years. This would have given law enforcement the opportunity to block the legal sale of any gun for 72 hours, emphasis on legal sale. They would of had to go to court to show probable cause.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:06 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think any of these laws will stop these mass shootings. That said the Republican amendment that was shot down by the Democrats would have flagged the Orlando shooter because he was on that list within the last five years. This would have given law enforcement the opportunity to block the legal sale of any gun for 72 hours, emphasis on legal sale. They would of had to go to court to show probable cause.
Coryn's bill required a hearing within 72 hours, that is not possible. On the surface it sounds reasonable but it would not work. Why 72 hours, why not 30 days.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:10 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yeah - like a poll from the Commie News Net matters.

I just made up a poll that says 80% or Americans think everyone should have a gun available and training to protect themselves since the police can't and or won't.

And - glad to see all those knee jerk bills failed. Maybe there is a tiny bit of common sense left in Congress after all.
Most agree with gun control, expanded back ground checks, closing gun show loopholes...

But then there is the politicians, did you ever watch the movie Ground Hogs Day?

Yes a knee jerk reaction to the last several mass shootings LOL

Old 06-20-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Coryn's bill required a hearing within 72 hours, that is not possible. On the surface it sounds reasonable but it would not work. Why 72 hours, why not 30 days.
Why don't we strip your first amendment rights for 30 days because someone in the government thinks you're a terrorist but can't prove it?

Let's understand something fundamental here, even the Republican amendment was going to have difficulty passing the Constitutional sniff test. If you are going to strip someone of their rights you better set a high bar and even their amendment may not have been high enough.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:22 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
FACT: Eliminating "Assault Weapons" will do nothing to stop the carnage.....13 were killed in Chicago over Father's Day bringing the annual total to 300....and not a word from the President, the well-intended on the left, BLM, etc....no liberals weighing in....apparently, this must not be stopped or they would say something...anything...
FACT: A Ruger 10/22 with high capacity magazines and/or drums would be equally effective and probably easier to control in rapid fire. Add Hyper-Velocity rounds (they feed fine) and you have near .22 magnum performance at that distance (less than 15 yards)...google it....
FACT: The President says NOTHING about the heroic efforts the SWAT and Police teams showed in their courageous battle with a very determined and sick foe
FACT: BLM, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, Sasha, Basha, and whatever who won't serve a day in the military, Biden, say NOTHING about the heroic efforts the SWAT and Police teams showed in their courageous battle with a very determined and sick foe
FACT: The police showed incredible bravery, removed a window AC unit and allowed 20-30 to escape....and not a word from the left about it.....How about the View? Nothing.....
FACT: Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people in a split second. He was a domestic terrorist that could not speak Arabic....33 were kids.....this death toll EXCEEDS THE TOTAL COMBINED KILLING IN THE TOP 6 MASSACRES IN US HISTORY INCLUDING ORLANDO, COLUMBINE, VIRGINIA TECH, NEWTOWN.....GOOGLE IT...
FACT: A glock pistol can accept 30 round magazines (9mm)....3 more than a high-capacity AR-15 albeit, not quite as powerful BUT, at that distance, +P hollowpoints would do tremendous damage and I dare say, the death toll would be as high and maybe quicker....AR's bolt a bit....can't put them down as accurately....bottom line, there are a myriad of ways to kill 49 people quickly. NONE of them good, just realize banning AR's and AK's will do NOTHING to stop a determined foe....qood training, better hired security, and NOT HAVING THE GD DOORS locked might have helped more.
FACT: Bombs kill more, more quickly. Focus on explosives...even this moron said he had 4 vests thus acknowledging he knew the force multiplier they would impart if detonated....I'm not sure he had them but, the mere mention recognizes his understanding of terrorist tactics
FACT: The left is throwing you a dodge....if they REALLY cared, they would push for more treatment for the mentally ill and both sides of the aisle SHOULD fund that!!!!

Now, for some COMMON SENSE gun laws.......

If you are like me, you have been shooting recreationally for decades. Probably had some military experience and realize that NOT everyone should own a gun!!!! Did I just say that???? You bet....many SENSIBLE Gun owners like myself have for decades believed that there should be a fundamental test of one's BASIC understanding of the gun laws in their jurisdiction/state, the moral and legal repercussions that may ensue upon engaging in a lawful or unlawful shooting incident, and BASIC proof that you know how to handle a weapon safely and securely. Demonstrate that you know how to load, unload, and secure your weapon(s).

After all, we do not give you a drivers license unless you can prove you know how to drive a car??? Have you ever been to a gun range? Believe me, there are enough idiots out there that simply purchase, receive no training, leave the thing loaded lying around where children may/may not get to it and are basically ignorant or wantonly stupid when it comes to firearms.

WE DON'T LIKE THEM....WE THINK THEY ARE DANGEROUS TO THE PUBLIC.....

Now, before the ultra right has a fit, LISTEN to what I just said....I'm NOT saying you can't own as many as you like. Free market and all that. I am NOT saying you should be unduly kept from purchasing.....what I AM saying is that you should be able to demonstrate a fundamental understanding of firearms and the grave responsibility you now hold when you own one. I envision a 25-40 question test covering laws, morality, legal, and most of safety....multiple choice.....and then, a 15-30 minute test with an instructor demonstrating you know how to handle SAFELY, load SAFELY, shoot safely, and finally unload safely and secure your firearm....it's not asking all that much.

Asking to bar all that want to buy a certain type of weapon, is insane.....just puts more people out of work as if the President hasn't already done a great job of that...... If you know how to handle them, you know how to buy them and then, by all means do so.....if you don't, get some TRAINING and come back???? Nothing would stop you....it's a sensible measure and request. Nothing more....and nothing more should be added to it!

After that, that's IT....no more regulations on how, who, when, etc.....if you can clear a background check, demonstrate the abilities I've shown, you are good to go...renew every 4-5 years....have at it....if you can't, no....you are simply a liability to all those around you....harsh? Maybe but, gun safety is nothing to be taken lightly....this is NOT cumbersome....this is NOT a huge distraction...demo ONCE and you can buy as many as your budget will allow...truth be known, 75 percent would pass first round....80 percent of those that fail would probably pass second round....

This is not a left wing thing....this is not a right wing thing....this is a common sense thing....F the right and left for their intrepretations.....seek and speak the truth....nothing more...these folks are simply trying to hedge an election either way....

Now, go back and read the facts...stopping the purchase of the "assault rifle" will do NOTHING to stop spree killers....you can't. Simple truth. And as much as I don't like our current administration, they can't stop it either. Nor can the right.....Sure, we can keep our eyes open, stop those on a watch list (how do you stop their friends from buying for them, aka the "straw purchase"....you can't), but, it will do little good.....all citizens keeping their f'in eyes open and reporting true suspicious behaviors will help more than anything...remember, when shots ring out, the police are only minutes away.....be prepared, protect you and your loved ones...watch out for those that can't help themselves, are targeted, are marginalized and you might go a long, long way in stopping the next whack job but, I doubt it....you see as evidenced by this nut job, they plan too and when they do, next time without an "Assault Rifle", they will simply use explosives next time. And THAT will kill exponentially more.....remember Oklahoma City.......Sad truth....but, there it is....

Want to curb the violence? Keep your eyes open, keep your ears open....as a sales manager once told me...."relaxed concentration"......situational awareness....be smart.....if you don't believe in gun ownership, that's cool. I get that. Get pepper spray? A baton (T-ball bat is wicked), pocket knife, something...anything....just don't lay down and die.....

Unlike our politicians. FIGHT BACK.....

Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
None of these proposals were broad enough for me anyway.

I'm a Republican. I would like to see clip/magazine fed automatic weapons, both long and short barreled, removed from stores and gun shows. They can save all that money on background checks and watch lists, and let people buy the things that will actually allow people to protect themselves and hunt legal game. Like ducks. Deer. Squirrels.
You can't buy an automatic weapon at a gun show or in a gun store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies