Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:50 AM

57,073 posts, read 26,036,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why don't we strip your first amendment rights for 30 days because someone in the government thinks you're a terrorist but can't prove it?

Let's understand something fundamental here, even the Republican amendment was going to have difficulty passing the Constitutional sniff test. If you are going to strip someone of their rights you better set a high bar and even their amendment may not have been high enough.
We don't have to worry about someone's first amendment rights endangering someone do we.

Yes any legislation would have a hard time passing, even expanding background checks. I don't think they could have ever been in this situation when they passed the 2nd amendment, defending the gun rights of probable terrorists. Maybe it's time for an adjustment of the 2nd amendment but that's just a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:56 AM

50,160 posts, read 46,820,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
We don't have to worry about someone's first amendment rights endangering someone do we.

Yes any legislation would have a hard time passing, even expanding background checks. I don't think they could have ever been in this situation when they passed the 2nd amendment, defending the gun rights of probable terrorists. Maybe it's time for an adjustment of the 2nd amendment but that's just a dream.
I know where we can get 80k felons off the streets per year.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:58 AM

40,937 posts, read 49,032,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Gun law changes are never going to happen, that's my conclusion. Let Americans enjoy all the violence and death.
Only complete confiscation will have any affect. Even then just the honest citizens will be armed.

If Democrats were serious, Cornyn's bill would have been something.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,899,877 times
Quote:
Michael Brown's stepfather: 'Burn this ***** down!' - CNN.com

Quote:
Yes any legislation would have a hard time passing, even expanding background checks. I don't think they could have ever been in this situation when they passed the 2nd amendment, defending the gun rights of probable terrorists.
It's not innocent until probably guilty. It's not even innocent until mostly guilty. It's still innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers in a court of law.

Quote:
Maybe it's time for an adjustment of the 2nd amendment but that's just a dream.
The process for change is defined in the Constitution.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:52 AM

57,073 posts, read 26,036,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Michael Brown's stepfather: 'Burn this ***** down!' - CNN.com

It's not innocent until probably guilty. It's not even innocent until mostly guilty. It's still innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers in a court of law.

The process for change is defined in the Constitution.
We should be erring on the side of safety and taking guns out of their hands but of course there's the constitution and owning a gun is a right. Remove the 2nd amendment, not happening but it would make a lot of sense. I don't want to see guns removed but situations like this just defy logic.

We don't have 30,000 people killed by the 1st amendment each year but thanks for the anecdote.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:07 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,873,772 times
Default Guns are not the solution.

Quote:
We should be erring on the side of safety and taking guns out of their hands but of course there's the constitution and owning a gun is a right. Remove the 2nd amendment, not happening but it would make a lot of sense. I don't want to see guns removed but situations like this just defy logic.

We don't have 30,000 people killed by the 1st amendment each year but thanks for the anecdote.
Guns is not the problem , bubblehead. Its the person behind the trigger. Are going you out Law cars because of accidents?

Omar purchased these fire arms in accordance to the law. However his background and every connected was afraid of the PC actions of reporting Omar.
The other question is who approved of his K license? this man was on a FBI watch list.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
illegal guns are sold all the time at garage sales, new laws won't change that. Most people that do that don't even know it's a law.

Shall we throw gramps in jail?
I'm just curious.......what sort of guns would these be?

Old 06-21-2016, 07:14 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:

Nothing in the Constitution allows anyone to take any ones else's life outside of self defense.

It allows the government to and I say that is what we should change.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,937,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm just curious.......what sort of guns would these be?
I have seen any type of gun you can name (other than a Barrett Big 50) garage sales! Yes, even the dreaded black plastic "military style" rifles.
In fact, a guy who lives about 5 miles away liquidated his entire collection over about a 5 years period by having one garage sale per year. Last year, another guy near here had a couple of .17 caliber rifles for sale in his garage sale. I should have bought one, but I didn't.
I bought a semi-auto Colt .380ACP pistol at an "estate sale" a few years ago.
Guns in garage or yard or estate sales is not at all uncommon around here. Our local newspaper even allows gun listings in the "For Sale" ads!
By the way, these guns are not "illegal", nor is the selling of them "illegal"! At the present time, there is no Federal requirement for a background check on private party sales of firearms. There is no such requirement in this State, either.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:36 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,057,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I have seen any type of gun you can name (other than a Barrett Big 50) garage sales! Yes, even the dreaded black plastic "military style" rifles.
In fact, a guy who lives about 5 miles away liquidated his entire collection over about a 5 years period by having one garage sale per year. Last year, another guy near here had a couple of .17 caliber rifles for sale in his garage sale. I should have bought one, but I didn't.
I bought a semi-auto Colt .380ACP pistol at an "estate sale" a few years ago.
Guns in garage or yard or estate sales is not at all uncommon around here. Our local newspaper even allows gun listings in the "For Sale" ads!
By the way, these guns are not "illegal", nor is the selling of them "illegal"!
I see this all the time, too. Usually estate sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies