Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:19 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times

Advertisements

Apparently my first thread took on a life of its own (seemingly not so good).

I'll be here until about 1AM ET. 2 hours from now.

Ask away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
if you put the bullets in backwards, is there a danger of shooting yourself?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 PM

I'll ask that all of you Pro-2A folk that respond to this thread after I'm gone, please be respectful. We all represent the Pro-2A community and snarkiness and poor attitudes reflect on us all. We must hold ourselves to a higher standard because our foes refuse to do so. This is a Constitutional Right we are defending. It's a Right under attack. Please be mindful of that.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Nope. You;ll just load the gun wrong. If you can even load it. Most magazines won't even allow such a thing to happen without a fight on the loader's behalf.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:38 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Is target shooting a good hobby? What should you learn to get into it more? I've gone a couple of times, but I'm thinking maybe a more formal firearms safety course would be valuable? And what type of guns are usually used for shooting targets or clay pigeons?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:46 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
No. The bolt wouldn't close because of the way the chamber and throat of the barrel interact with the round being chambered. Even if it were some oddball round that would chamber fully your firing pin would strike the bullet (projectile that shoots out), not the primer as is needed for ignition.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Is target shooting a good hobby? What should you learn to get into it more? I've gone a couple of times, but I'm thinking maybe a more formal firearms safety course would be valuable? And what type of guns are usually used for shooting targets or clay pigeons?

Multi-part question. I feel like I'm back in high school

Target shooting is a great hobby. It can help with concentration and provide immense enjoyment. I love punching holes in a target.

To get into any shooting sport, you should first learn gun safety. One should NEVER take part in any activity without first learning firearm safety. AFTER firearm safety, you can grow from there. Everyone can be a marksman. You must be safe first.

If you're thinking about formal training, your head is in the right place. Firearms can be dangerous. Any marksman will be safe first and foremost.

Should you choose to advance to the sporting clays, I would recommend a .410 or 20-gauge to start with, but on a range with a stationary target to become accustomed to the "kick" (recoil) of a shotgun. Once you have mastered firearm safety and become comfortable with any gauge of shotgun, you can advance to an aerial target, preferably under the supervision of an instructor, so you can learn to enjoy the sport of clays and pigeons.

Begin with a .22LR, if available. The smaller the caliber, the better, for a novice shooter.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:51 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Have you shot before?

What kind of target shooting are you talking about?

Something like Action Shotgun would use a Benelli M2, Stoeger 3500, Remington Versamax, or similar semi automatic shotguns.

Benchrest target are usually Savage or Remington 700 Chassis.

Action rifle is reigned by the AR-15.

Cowboy is a whole different ballgame of period correct arms.

Clays usually are shot by guys with over/under shotguns which can go to the moon in cost.

I would check out 3-Gun or similar action-shooting series' (USPSA for example is a great pistol league) if you are a younger guy.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
No. The bolt wouldn't close because of the way the chamber and throat of the barrel interact with the round being chambered. Even if it were some oddball round that would chamber fully your firing pin would strike the bullet (projectile that shoots out), not the primer as is needed for ignition.
You got pretty scientific on this one.

Load it backwards and it won't shoot. That's the short answer.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Have you shot before?

What kind of target shooting are you talking about?

Something like Action Shotgun would use a Benelli M2, Stoeger 3500, Remington Versamax, or similar semi automatic shotguns.

Benchrest target are usually Savage or Remington 700 Chassis.

Action rifle is reigned by the AR-15.

Cowboy is a whole different ballgame of period correct arms.

Clays usually are shot by guys with over/under shotguns which can go to the moon in cost.

I would check out 3-Gun or similar action-shooting series' (USPSA for example is a great pistol league) if you are a younger guy.
You're going to give a novice a bruise.

Begin your shooting sports career with any .22LR rifle. A Ruger 10/22 is a GREAT, inexpensive platform to learn safety and shooting.

Please DO NOT begin with a Remington 700 platform, or any shotgun. I say this as someone who wants new shooters to actually enjoy their trigger time. The 700 can kick like hell and turn off a new shooter, depending on caliber.

I recommend the Ruger 10/22 platform for the ease of use and the ability to customize it to your liking. It can be a range plinker or a tack driver. It's all up to you.

I've shot (at) clays with a Benelli Nova (12ga), but I don't recommend a new shooter go all out like that at first.

Find a smaller caliber/gauge firearm to learn on. You'll learn well and want to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies