U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 09:40 PM
NCN

21,132 posts, read 22,362,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There are thousands of gun laws prohibiting possesion, purchase, carry thereof and there have been bans...its naive to think that confiscation might never occur.
Yes, it is not the governments business to know what guns you own. It should never be the business of the government to know about your gun ownership. That is what the constitution is about in the first place. We should have a right to protect our home and property. I am more concerned about an overreaching government than I will ever be about someone shooting up the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:12 PM

15,130 posts, read 9,348,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Yes, it is not the governments business to know what guns you own. It should never be the business of the government to know about your gun ownership. That is what the constitution is about in the first place. We should have a right to protect our home and property........
I agree with that part. I have a gun and no one knows it but me. That's the way it ought to be. No registration. I do like the cooling off period, though.

The part where you and I disagree is with what kind of gun I can buy. I can defend myself and my home without using an assault weapon capable of banging out 5 rounds a second and being reloaded in 1/2 second. They should not be sold.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:38 PM

17,829 posts, read 12,413,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It is the middle of the night and SWAT teams wearing scary black helmets and armor are going door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood, breaking down people's doors, terrorizing families, and tearing through homes to confiscate any firearms they may have. This is what many conservatives fear that Obama and the Democrats ultimately want to happen.

Does this fear have any basis in reality at all? How does any mention of stricter background checks, a ban on certain types of clips, or closing the gun show loophole become a mass, nationwide gun grab by a totalitarian government?

To be honest, though I am more liberal on most issues I tend to lean conservative on Second Amendment rights, but I just don't understand where this paranoia is coming from. Nobody has proposed a gun grab that I am aware of. If anything, Second Amendment rights have increased over the past couple of decades.
any basis? does historical precedent count?

should we consider the sage advice , 'those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it...'.or should that advice be considered ridiculous and ignored?

Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 PM

5,804 posts, read 3,412,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There are thousands of gun laws prohibiting possesion, purchase, carry thereof and there have been bans...its naive to think that confiscation might never occur.
It has happened in Australia recently.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 PM

26,157 posts, read 15,967,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618
It is the middle of the night and SWAT teams wearing scary black helmets and armor are going door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood, breaking down people's doors, terrorizing families, and tearing through homes to confiscate any firearms they may have. This is what many conservatives fear that Obama and the Democrats ultimately want to happen.
Yes and fortunatly thier plans have been delayed!!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:55 PM

37,575 posts, read 33,754,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I agree with that part. I have a gun and no one knows it but me. That's the way it ought to be. No registration. I do like the cooling off period, though.

The part where you and I disagree is with what kind of gun I can buy. I can defend myself and my home without using an assault weapon capable of banging out 5 rounds a second and being reloaded in 1/2 second. They should not be sold.
Unless the guy "attacking" you has one right? Or multiple guys. Good math,,,,,or not.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:51 AM

13,900 posts, read 11,117,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Does this fear have any basis in reality at all? How does any mention of stricter background checks, a ban on certain types of clips, or closing the gun show loophole become a mass, nationwide gun grab by a totalitarian government?

To be honest, though I am more liberal on most issues I tend to lean conservative on Second Amendment rights, but I just don't understand where this paranoia is coming from. Nobody has proposed a gun grab that I am aware of. If anything, Second Amendment rights have increased over the past couple of decades.
No, it has no merit whatsoever, and BOTH sides like to use it as a political strawman to knock down. Democrats use it as a strawman so that they can make any and all arguments against gun control seem silly and unfounded, and Republicans like to use it as a strawman to shut the conversation down about gun control alltogether.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:57 AM

17,024 posts, read 9,852,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The issue has already been to the US Supreme Court. So you can quiet down now.
But don't you just love conspiracy stories?
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
the issue can be revisited by a more liberal supreme court

never say never

The issue can even be ignored by the SC for the same effect in some instances.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 AM

52,544 posts, read 28,115,375 times
None whatsoever.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 AM

17,024 posts, read 9,852,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The Senate can't even pass a law to keep guns out of the hands of terrorists---you really think they're coming for your guns?

You really think even for a moment that ANY Law would accomplish this?

If terrorists really wanted a firearm and no more were even being manufactured at all they could just make their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or