Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,748,673 times

Advertisements

It is the middle of the night and SWAT teams wearing scary black helmets and armor are going door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood, breaking down people's doors, terrorizing families, and tearing through homes to confiscate any firearms they may have. This is what many conservatives fear that Obama and the Democrats ultimately want to happen.

Does this fear have any basis in reality at all? How does any mention of stricter background checks, a ban on certain types of clips, or closing the gun show loophole become a mass, nationwide gun grab by a totalitarian government?

To be honest, though I am more liberal on most issues I tend to lean conservative on Second Amendment rights, but I just don't understand where this paranoia is coming from. Nobody has proposed a gun grab that I am aware of. If anything, Second Amendment rights have increased over the past couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 03:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,899,512 times
The left never tells you what their ultimate goal is upfront. If their ultimate goal is a gun ban, they will start with stricter background checks. When they get that, they will continue incrementally passing stricter legislation until they finally arrive at gun bans. But make no mistake, most lefties would ultimately like to see guns only in the hands of the State.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,534,005 times
apparently, it's only a terrorist attack if they hijack airplanes. if they use a gun, it's the guns fault.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:41 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,892,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The left never tells you what their ultimate goal is upfront. If their ultimate goal is a gun ban, they will start with stricter background checks. When they get that, they will continue incrementally passing stricter legislation until they finally arrive at gun bans. But make no mistake, most lefties would ultimately like to see guns only in the hands of the State.

The issue has already been to the US Supreme Court. So you can quiet down now.
But don't you just love conspiracy stories?

Old 06-20-2016, 03:51 PM

902 posts, read 1,094,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The issue has already been to the US Supreme Court. So you can quiet down now.
But don't you just love conspiracy stories?
the issue can be revisited by a more liberal supreme court

never say never

Old 06-20-2016, 03:55 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,820,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It is the middle of the night and SWAT teams wearing scary black helmets and armor are going door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood, breaking down people's doors, terrorizing families, and tearing through homes to confiscate any firearms they may have. This is what many conservatives fear that Obama and the Democrats ultimately want to happen.

Does this fear have any basis in reality at all? How does any mention of stricter background checks, a ban on certain types of clips, or closing the gun show loophole become a mass, nationwide gun grab by a totalitarian government?

To be honest, though I am more liberal on most issues I tend to lean conservative on Second Amendment rights, but I just don't understand where this paranoia is coming from. Nobody has proposed a gun grab that I am aware of. If anything, Second Amendment rights have increased over the past couple of decades.
That is NOT how gun confiscation works. Perhaps you should read some history from Germany circa 1930's.

First there is a move for background checks, then registration, THEN confiscation.

It is not paranoia that causes those of us who believe in the 2nd Amendment to be concerned, it is knowledge of history and human nature.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:58 PM

45,026 posts, read 26,183,883 times
There are thousands of gun laws prohibiting possesion, purchase, carry thereof and there have been bans...its naive to think that confiscation might never occur.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 17,029,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
That is NOT how gun confiscation works. Perhaps you should read some history from Germany circa 1930's.

First there is a move for background checks, then registration, THEN confiscation.

It is not paranoia that causes those of us who believe in the 2nd Amendment to be concerned, it is knowledge of history and human nature.
A little actual knowledge goes a loooooong way.

There was a total ban on gun purchases in Germany after they lost WW I. The Weimar Republic (1919 - 1933) established a more liberal gun registration policy in 1928, and that was the policy that the Nazis inherited. But only newly purchased weapons were registered; the stuff left over from WW I was never recorded.

In 1938, the Nazis loosened up gun ownership requirements. Now, anyone could own a gun. Anyone, that is except Jews - they were forbidden to be armed.

There absolutely was NO "move for background checks, then registration, THEN confiscation" in Germany.

It is worth noting that after WW II, even German police were not allowed to carry firearms. Private ownership of guns was not allowed until 1956.

Ya might read up a little bit.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:23 PM

25,368 posts, read 17,029,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Newp. None at all.

Ironically, Connecticut has some of the loosest requirements concerning personal carry, and they are home to some of the strictest assault rifle bans.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:32 PM

50,079 posts, read 46,654,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
the issue can be revisited by a more liberal supreme court

never say never
Better start saving now to build your new jails and prisons to house the new felons you want. 150 million semi-auto weapons. If I were you I'd either cut cable or quit eating out to do your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies