Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 04:02 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Is Prop 13 still in place in CA? I knew a guy who owned a property that was valued at $3 million and he was paying around $2K a year in property taxes. It would go up once he sold, but that was it as long as he owned it.

All I'll say about this *reporter* is that he's not well thought of. And from what I've heard, cops absolutely hate him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Is Prop 13 still in place in CA? I knew a guy who owned a property that was valued at $3 million and he was paying around $2K a year in property taxes. It would go up once he sold, but that was it as long as he owned it.

All I'll say about this *reporter* is that he's not well thought of. And from what I've heard, cops absolutely hate him.

Yes, Prop 13 is still in place. Incumbent homeowners will never voluntarily give it up, and since they are the majority, the minority is powerless to change it. Having said that, renters in California now are close to a majority.

While I expect any serious attempt to repeal Prop 13 would be met with a massive fear campaign - if Prop 13 is repealed, rents will necessarily skyrocket! - the original failure of Prop 13 to deliver the rent reductions promised by its supporters led to a renter backlash and the adoption of a number of local rent control ordinances. Which presumably would dampen the expected fearmongering.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:07 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:

Yep... applies equally to all assessable real property in California without distinction.

2% annual cap on increases plus whatever additional parcel taxes the voters may approve.

I bought a home for 600k with $8800 starting annual property tax... my sellers built the place in 1957 and were paid $1200....

Background checks are not only for weapons... also for ammunition in California if all goes as planned.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:13 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:

Not quite true. Property tax goes up every year, but is capped at 2%. I'm calling bunk on "that guy's" story. To have such low taxes, he had to have bought a long time ago. If that were the case, his taxes should have increased all those years.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:51 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Reporter should do a follow up story on how long it takes to buy a gun off a guy on the street on the south side of Chicago....no questions asked.

My guess, for him it would take a little doing since they don't know him but for a neighborhood "member"....probably 5 minutes.
You'll never see it. The media's objective is to demonize and disarm law abiding people. They DON'T CARE that criminals get guns by criminal means. Doesn't fit the objective.

This reporter is pathetic. Rather than simply admit that he is a loser with a history that prevents a responsible person from selling him a gun, and rather than admit that he was committing a crime, he plays the little victim card. "Whine-they won't sell to me because I'm a REPORTER". Loser.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:29 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
NICS looks for pending charges even if you have been cleared for a firearms id or permit to purchase a pistol. they want to know if you were a bad boy since being approved to buy a gun. same goes for dropping off a gun for a repair, before you get it back a nics check is run....at least in NJ

as the laws are so interpretive gun shops err on the side of caution as clear answers to many questions are intentionally vague due to legal interpretation you get when two lawyers stand before a judge months or years after a sale.
This is what so many people don't understand. If they've never tried to buy a gun, the only thing they have to go on is what the media tells them. It's too bad they never get the real story. I bought a Boy Scout 10/22 to give to my son when he gets his Arrow of Light. I bought it FTF (fact to face) in PA, which is entirely legal. GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE! Except that's not quite how it went. The vast majority of gun owners won't do FTF at all, and even those that do will put other conditions on the sale to insure the gun isn't being sold to just anyone. For this sale, the previous owner wouldn't sell to anyone that didn't have a license to carry. That license shows that you've been cleared by your county's sheriff. He also wrote up a bill of sale and required me to show him my driver's license, so he would have a record of who he sold to.

Good for this shop, and all the others out there that make these calls on a daily basis! And a big HA HA to that reporter.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
This is what so many people don't understand. If they've never tried to buy a gun, the only thing they have to go on is what the media tells them. It's too bad they never get the real story. I bought a Boy Scout 10/22 to give to my son when he gets his Arrow of Light. I bought it FTF (fact to face) in PA, which is entirely legal. GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE! Except that's not quite how it went. The vast majority of gun owners won't do FTF at all, and even those that do will put other conditions on the sale to insure the gun isn't being sold to just anyone. For this sale, the previous owner wouldn't sell to anyone that didn't have a license to carry. That license shows that you've been cleared by your county's sheriff. He also wrote up a bill of sale and required me to show him my driver's license, so he would have a record of who he sold to.

Good for this shop, and all the others out there that make these calls on a daily basis! And a big HA HA to that reporter.
To be frank, some face to face sellers don't require anything. I have quite a few in my possession. Personally I always require a driver's license to sell mine.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yep... applies equally to all assessable real property in California without distinction.

2% annual cap on increases plus whatever additional parcel taxes the voters may approve.

I bought a home for 600k with $8800 starting annual property tax... my sellers built the place in 1957 and were paid $1200....

Background checks are not only for weapons... also for ammunition in California if all goes as planned.

All they have to do is call me... FedEx ships anywhere.
Of coarse I have a mark up on my ammunition sales.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
To be frank, some face to face sellers don't require anything. I have quite a few in my possession. Personally I always require a driver's license to sell mine.
True that some don't, but in my experience, they're the exception, not the rule. It's also changed a bit over the years. You see a lot fewer gun owners now who are willing to sell without any kind of paperwork. At least from what I've seen in PA. Was browsing a classifieds section of a gun forum, and every single ad in the first three pages asked for LTCF, at a minimum.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
True that some don't, but in my experience, they're the exception, not the rule. It's also changed a bit over the years. You see a lot fewer gun owners now who are willing to sell without any kind of paperwork. At least from what I've seen in PA. Was browsing a classifieds section of a gun forum, and every single ad in the first three pages asked for LTCF, at a minimum.
Why would anyone want to sell a gun?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies