Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How many people in the US have radical Muslims killed with guns in the last 30 years and how many people in the US have radical Muslims killed by using something other than guns in the last 30 years?

I'd guess that they've killed many more without guns, but that's just a guess.

Can you give us the stats? If you don't have them, I'll take a guess on your part.
Yes, currently they've killed more via hijackings than by guns. But more domestic mass shootings have occurred than domestic hijackings.

So if you don't stop the mass shootings, the death toll of shootings will eventually eclipse the numbers of the 9/11 hijackings.

And additionally, there are laws in place to prevent further hijackings and bombings in response to Oklahoma City and 9/11. It is more difficult to pull off those kinds of attacks because there was a response afterward to controlling access to such weaponry after those attacks.

But now with mass shootings. There's been no change in guns laws. It's business as usual.

It's much harder to get on a plane with box cutters. It's much harder to amass fertilizer. Even if your intentions are not evil.

But you can still walk into a gun shop and get an AR-15.

Can I drop the mic now? I'm getting tired of you amateurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 08:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Let's take this slowly.

There's a difference in obtaining a gun legally and having to obtain a gun illegally.

Illegally obtaining a gun for a mass murder carries more risk of being discovered and therefore the murder plot thwarted than casually buying a gun legally at a shop.

Illegal possession carries risk and therefore risk of discovery and arrest before a mass murder can be carried out.

Legal possession carries no risk for a potential mass murderer.

It's very simple.

You have to commit a smaller crime, which might raise alarms or be discovered, before you can commit the larger crime.

Any other objections you want to throw at me?
Well, you finally came up with an actual valid point. Congratulations.

Illegally obtaining a gun does raise the chance of being discovered; howerver, with how small the actual number of deaths in the US from radical Muslims who shoot their victims, it's certainly not worth the trade off to ban weapons.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Well, you finally came up with an actual valid point. Congratulations.

Illegally obtaining a gun does raise the chance of being discovered; howerver, with how small the actual number of deaths in the US from radical Muslims who shoot their victims, it's certainly not worth the trade off to ban weapons.
But my point is why ban Muslims either? If it's so small, why talk of banning Muslims?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, currently they've killed more via hijackings than by guns. But more domestic mass shootings have occurred than domestic hijackings.

So if you don't stop the mass shootings, the death toll of shootings will eventually eclipse the numbers of the 9/11 hijackings.

And additionally, there are laws in place to prevent further hijackings and bombings in response to Oklahoma City and 9/11. It is more difficult to pull off those kinds of attacks because there was a response afterward to controlling access to such weaponry after those attacks.

But now with mass shootings. There's been no change in guns laws. It's business as usual.

It's much harder to get on a plane with box cutters. It's much harder to amass fertilizer. Even if your intentions are not evil.

Freedom comes with a price.

The largest number of daths from mass killings in the US comes from people who are either mentally unstable, Muslim or politically disenfranchised.

Do you propose we take away the rights of people with mental illness, practice the religion of Islam and speak out against the government and conduct surveillance and searches of them and their homes without warrants or probable cause in order to keep them from harming others?

Your assault on the 2nd is no different. Bearing arms is a right no different than speech or the right to be secure in your person from warrant less searches.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
But my point is why ban Muslims either? If it's so small, why talk of banning Muslims?
I don't want to ban Muslims. I want to ban refugees from the US regardless of religion, race or origin. I also don't want to grant legal immigration or visas to those who have not been properly vetted.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:

The only amateur in this discussion is you. You said you wanted to use common sense, so use it.

Let's say the gov't bans all guns in the U.S. The law abiding citizens no longer have access to a firearm to use in defense situations. What happens to all of the undocumented firearms that are still here in the hands of criminals? Oh... that's right. THEY STILL HAVE THEM. And now, when a criminal chooses to commit a crime of any sort, they know the only people with firearms are other criminals. So now the criminals have no concerns of anyone having any chance of defending themselves against a gun. If a couple of criminals got together with the intent of killing a lot of people quickly they can still do the same thing because they have undocumented guns.......

The ONLY thing that prevents this from happening even more is that you never know which law abiding citizen you are approaching is carrying a firearm and will fight back. Criminals have to think twice before acting. Unless you can somehow ban ALL guns and banish them from existence all over the earth, you can't take them away from citizens who have a legal and constitutional right to have them. Unless of course, your entire intent is to make us all sitting ducks. I'd love for guns not to exist at all. But they do, and you can't only be concerned with the ones criminals are going to purchase in the future. You have to remind yourself that many criminals already have them. You cannot afford to overlook that key piece of information.

Unless you've had a criminal stick a gun to your nose and threaten to kill you and your entire family (I have, btw) unless you give them everything you have you will never understand the desire to keep guns. I and many others choose not to allow our fate to be decided by some crazy person who doesn't care whether anyone lives or dies.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:06 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
You didn't read my post, did you?

Not all perpetrators of mass killings are Muslim but virtually all weapons in mass killings are guns.

Think about it.
9/11. Oklahoma City bombing. Boston Marathon bombing. Happyland Social Club (arson). Etc., etc.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 AM

50,267 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
9/11. Oklahoma City bombing. Boston Marathon bombing. Happyland Social Club (arson). Etc., etc.
Plus, look at how many other attempts to use bombs failed.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
96 olympics

Old 06-22-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I don't want to ban Muslims. I want to ban refugees from the US regardless of religion, race or origin. I also don't want to grant legal immigration or visas to those who have not been properly vetted.

Okay do all that and we still will have mass shootings. Now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies