Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 02:50 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Anyone advocating 'banning all Muslims' is infringing on the constitution.
Anyone advocating 'banning all guns' is infringing on the constitution.

Both are bad answers in an open society.
Exactly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 02:58 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I know you're very desperately trying to make a point, but you keep moving the goal posts and deflecting.

I suggest you move on because you're having a hard time convincing anyone but yourself (and perhaps few stragglers) that guns are evil and if we somehow eliminate the 2A, we won't have anymore mass killings.
What are you talking about? YOU shifted from guns to hijacking planes. This is a thread about how to stop mass shootings, not the much rarer hijackings.

Maybe you should move on.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:59 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,797 times
Removing African Americans from this country would reduce our crime levels to below western European levels; however, that's not a realistic or reasonable approach to gun violence in America just like banning all Muslims.

We need to get rid of the guns...........

Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
What are you talking about? YOU shifted from guns to hijacking planes. This is a thread about how to stop mass shootings, not the much rarer hijackings.

Maybe you should move on.
In all fairness, you did mention 'mass killings' multiple times.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:49 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Removing African Americans from this country would reduce our crime levels to below western European levels; however, that's not a realistic or reasonable approach to gun violence in America just like banning all Muslims.

We need to get rid of the guns...........

You cant take guns away from good and reasonable people, because the bad guys will find a way to get them.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:46 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
If one looks most Muslims who have accomplished death and destruction in America are of the Sunni persuasion. Maybe Americans should be asking why we're not going after such organizations as the Wahabists who support it and make it possible.

Seems to me we need to ask ourselves why America is supporting terrorism in secular countries in favor of the likes of ISIS. Seems to me that perhaps Iran, Syria, Russia isn't our real enemy. I think our politicians have been bought and really do not want to stop this terrorism.

I think those in power use things like this to keep us talking and fighting, not acting or thinking too much.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:50 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You cant take guns away from good and reasonable people, because the bad guys will find a way to get them.
Did you even read my opening post?

Old 06-21-2016, 04:51 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
But don't unstable countries naturally see more of their citizens flee for their safety?

Would you have banned Jewish people from Nazi Germany from entering the United States too?
Oh, I don't support a ban from these countries. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. I think we should accept refugees, but I don't think adding additional securities, and possibly slowing down the process for a short time to sort that out, is overly unreasonable. It keeps everyone safe, including those trying to enter the country.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:54 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Oh, I don't support a ban from these countries. Sorry, I should have made that more clear. I think we should accept refugees, but I don't think adding additional securities, and possibly slowing down the process for a short time to sort that out, is overly unreasonable. It keeps everyone safe, including those trying to enter the country.
Only question I'd have for that 'additional vetting' is, are they interned on a compound or .... Everyone keeps saying additional checks but there is no context.

Normal immigration, they live with a sponsor.

Old 06-21-2016, 04:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Only question I'd have for that 'additional vetting' is, are they interned on a compound or .... Everyone keeps saying additional checks but there is no context.

Normal immigration, they live with a sponsor.
I don't know. I'm not above admitting that.

I'm no expert on immigration, so I won't pretend to know how the best way to go about this is. I don't think we should be putting them is what is basically a prison, if that's what you're asking. They should be in relatively good conditions, and if this means some sort of public housing, so be it.

My primary point was more about how talking about potential threats from certain countries in a current state of stability is completely reasonable, but talking about 'their skin is this' or 'they worship that' is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies