Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I don't know. I'm not above admitting that.

I'm no expert on immigration, so I won't pretend to know how the best way to go about this is. I don't think we should be putting them is what is basically a prison, if that's what you're asking. They should be in relatively good conditions, and if this means some sort of public housing, so be it.

My primary point was more about how talking about potential threats from certain countries in a current state of stability is completely reasonable, but talking about 'their skin is this' or 'they worship that' is not.
Look at post number 2.

And I'm an independent who left the republicans when McCain was nominated.

It might be reasonable to do the exact thing we did with the Hmong boat people after Vietnam. I'm only vaguely familiar with how we handled that.

For all the hand wringing, and I looked it up last week, we've only accepted like 1800 out of obamas proposed 10000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 05:10 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
I use the phrase "banning all guns" for balance in this examination, obviously real gun control would not ban all guns.

So let's proceed.

Some say the key to stopping mass killings is to ban all Muslims entry to the country.

Others say the key to stopping mass killings is to ban guns.

Let's quickly look at the roles each of these two variables play in mass killings.

All mass killings require both a combination of a perpetrator and a weapon to be carried out.

Perpetrator = In some mass killings in the United States, the perpetrator(s) has been Muslim, but not all mass killings. Some mass killings have had non-Muslim perpetrators.

Weapon = In virtually all mass killings in the United States the weapon used has been a firearm. Some contend other weapons can be used, and to a limited extent, things like hatchets and knives make up a small percentage of mass killing weapons. But they tend not to be as efficient as firearms and therefore are usually serve as a second choice. An example of an attempt at a mass killing using a knife outside of the United States involves a knife-wielding perpetrator in China who stabbed 20 school children of which all survived.

So based on the above, if we look for the most common denominator to decide which one we want to ban to control mass killings, the most obvious answer is guns. It's guns and not Muslims because guns are the most common denominator involved in mass killings, not Muslims. It's not Muslims because we know that in some cases the perpetrator is non-Muslim. But the weapon is seldom non-gun.

The most common denominator in mass killings is guns because we know in most cases of mass killings a gun is used as a weapon but a Muslim is not always the perpetrator.

So wouldn't you want to ban the most common denominator in mass killings?

Now some will object to banning guns by saying criminals intent on killing lots of people won't care about guns laws and get guns anyway.

However, if guns were made illegal for civilians (specifically assault weapons) potential mass killers would first have to commit a crime to obtain a gun to use in a mass killing. It follows that if guns were illegal a potential perpetrator of a mass killing could be caught in the act of trying to obtain an illegal firearm before a mass killing and thus be thwarted in performing that future mass killing.

But with guns legal, a potential mass killer criminal can obtain a gun legally without committing a crime to obtain that firearm and proceed to perpetrate a mass killing.

At least with guns illegal criminals would have perform that extra criminal act of obtaining an illegal firearm before they commit a mass killing. Criminals would have to risk getting caught first in obtaining an illegal firearm before a mass killing could occur. And that one crime, if detected, could be enough to deter a mass killing.
What firearm was used on 9/11? What firearm was used at the Boston Marathon terrorist attack? What firearm was used in the Oklahoma City mass killings? What firearm was used in the Atlanta Olympics mass killing?

Hint

History of bombings in the US, including famous attempts that failed since the late 1800s | Fox News

Old 06-21-2016, 05:13 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Firstly banning Muslims or more precisely keeping adherents of Islam within a certain population percentage argument is not just related to mass shootings, it's a much bigger topic.

Islam is anti-Women, LGBT and Minoritites.

Freedom ends, where Islam begins.

Can someone explain to me how a devout muslin that adheres to sharia law can assimilate into a western country that lives by laws that are so different from barbaric Sharia? seems impossible to me..

Old 06-21-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
Can someone explain to me how a devout muslin that adheres to sharia law can assimilate into a western country that lives by laws that are so different from barbaric Sharia? seems impossible to me..
Accept sharia isn't practiced outside your home... And if any of the fringe aspects like honor killing (Phoenix about -0 years ago when dad killed his 2 daughters for being to western) you'll be prosecuted inder our law.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Anyone advocating 'banning all Muslims' is infringing on the constitution.
it isnt about banning all muslims, you are right that would be an infringement of the constitution. HOWEVER you CAN ban immigrants from certain countries and certain areas of the world, and you CAN ban people of a certain faith from entering the country, since until they actually get into the country and past customs, they are not covered by the constitution, and thus there is NO infringement of the constitution.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it isnt about banning all muslims, you are right that would be an infringement of the constitution. HOWEVER you CAN ban immigrants from certain countries and certain areas of the world, and you CAN ban people of a certain faith from entering the country, since until they actually get into the country and past customs, they are not covered by the constitution, and thus there is NO infringement of the constitution.
I understand your perspective. Legally, however, I just don't agree. Unless in a declared war, let each countries quota be filled accordingly.

Note, declared war. Not war powers act or congressional auth.

I fought 'terrorism'. I understand exactly what I'm saying. And I'm not voting for either candidate.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Alright leave the goalposts. Throw in planes. Do you see many 9/11's? Do you expect to see a 9/11 every month?

Don't you think that at the rate mass shootings are occurring by gun, those numbers won't eclipse 9/11 soon enough?

And that's not even counting the 30,000 that die in all gun related deaths per year in the U.S.
And how many people would be killed by one nuke?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I understand your perspective. Legally, however, I just don't agree. Unless in a declared war, let each countries quota be filled accordingly.

Note, declared war. Not war powers act or congressional auth.

I fought 'terrorism'. I understand exactly what I'm saying. And I'm not voting for either candidate.
except that we set the standard for who we let into this country, and thus we can stop immigration from certain areas if we so choose.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:30 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
At an average, there are 87 people killed daily in gun violence. This is about 31,000, yes, THIRTY ONE THOUSAND a year.
Most of these, IMO, are drugs and gang related.

How does ban on immigrants help this situation?

Old 06-22-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
except that we set the standard for who we let into this country, and thus we can stop immigration from certain areas if we so choose.
Then redraw the quota to zero. There's a word for it but I forgot. 'Banning' is, quite frankly, dumb.

All they have to do is reinstate the Johnson Reed Act

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_Act_of_1924

My point is, as it stands now, it's illegal. There's a quota. But laws can be changed. Not by presidential decree however. Pres. can sign it, not mandate.

The Secretary of State is responsible for overseeing it.

Jiminy crickets. Just like the states acquiescing all their power to the Feds, now all my history is further cementing just how much power congress has ceded to the president!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies