Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 03:56 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,402,982 times

Advertisements

If Brexit loses today, that loss will be a strong indication Trump will lose. Voters hate change even when they are unhappy with the current state of affairs.

Americans can be a timid bunch, much like the British, preferring to be the frog in a pot of boiling water rather than leap from the pot to the unknown.

I am looking closely at this referendum by England to leave the EU. Who wins will telegraph our vote in November, in my opinion. England stays in the EU, it is Clinton. If they leave the EU, it will be Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,557,484 times
interesting theory, but I don't think so.

the world is changing very fast, like it or not.

I've always believed the saying "when the US sneezes, the world gets a cold".

I don't believe we would follow any action the UK takes.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:04 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If Brexit loses today, that loss will be a strong indication Trump will lose. Voters hate change even when they are unhappy with the current state of affairs.

Americans can be a timid bunch, much like the British, preferring to be the frog in a pot of boiling water rather than leap from the pot to the unknown.

I am looking closely at this referendum by England to leave the EU. Who wins will telegraph our vote in November, in my opinion. England stays in the EU, it is Clinton. If they leave the EU, it will be Trump.
I think there is a lot of credibility in this post. I hope it doesn't go exactly like you said but I'm afraid you're right.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:06 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,402,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
interesting theory, but I don't think so.

the world is changing very fast, like it or not.

I've always believed the saying "when the US sneezes, the world gets a cold".

I don't believe we would follow any action the UK takes.
I didn't say we will follow the British. We Americans have a similar mindset with the British.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
It could be that the British failure to get out will be the encouragement for Americans to get it right and elect Trump in a landslide. We have a history of doing what the British don't support. Being a sovereign independent nation is one of them. The British didn't know how bad it would be to join the EU.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:11 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,949,203 times
Quote:

Looks to me voters are being blind......if people think President Obama and Hillary are not changing things they have their heads in the sand. I think people wanting out of the EU are the exact same people voting for Trump........people who are wanting America to go back before President Bush.

If Hillary wins it just shows many American voters are ready for a Queen and next they will ask for a King.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
Quote:
I didn't say we will follow the British. We Americans have a similar mindset with the British.
I have voted out. I am 62 years old, with two nice pensions, arriving in my bank every month. I own my home, and have a good life. I would give it all up,and end on the streets to save my country.

We don't know the result of this election yet........ it is going to be a long night, But, the overwhelming population of the UK is the English. Yet, we could lose this vote on the result of how the Scots, Welsh, and Irish vote.

I only found out today, that 400,000 citizens of Ireland have a vote in this election. I am not talking about northern Ireland, which is a part of the UK, but independent country southern Ireland. Their citizens reside in the UK, and have a vote on this massive event affecting by a large majority, the English.

If we lose this vote, and end up remaining in the EU because of citizens of another country, Ireland, we will be very angry.

The Scottish, who last year narrowly decided to remain in the UK, are expected to vote remain in the EU. This nation, don't miss a chance to tell the English they don't like us much. They take English taxpayer money to help sustain their economy, but are not fond of us at all. This group, could end up helping to keep the UK in the EU.

We English are getting pretty fed up of this situation. If this vote is close making us remain in the EU, then it is not over, especially if the majority of the English vote out.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:22 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,961 times
^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^ I would listen to...

Old 06-23-2016, 04:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,953,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have voted out. I am 62 years old, with two nice pensions, arriving in my bank every month. I own my home, and have a good life. I would give it all up,and end on the streets to save my country.

We don't know the result of this election yet........ it is going to be a long night, But, the overwhelming population of the UK is the English. Yet, we could lose this vote on the result of how the Scots, Welsh, and Irish vote.

I only found out today, that 400,000 citizens of Ireland have a vote in this election. I am not talking about northern Ireland, which is a part of the UK, but independent country southern Ireland. Their citizens reside in the UK, and have a vote on this massive event affecting by a large majority, the English.

If we lose this vote, and end up remaining in the EU because of citizens of another country, Ireland, we will be very angry.

The Scottish, who last year narrowly decided to remain in the UK, are expected to vote remain in the EU. This nation, don't miss a chance to tell the English they don't like us much. They take English taxpayer money to help sustain their economy, but are not fond of us at all. This group, could end up helping to keep the UK in the EU.

We English are getting pretty fed up of this situation. If this vote is close making us remain in the EU, then it is not over, especially if the majority of the English vote out.
If I were English, I would be supremely annoyed that the Welsh and Scots have their own parliaments AND get to vote on matters that only concern England.

And I agree with you - the Scots are largely a country of welfare scroungers at this point.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:25 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,557,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

bummer. i hope the English vote prevails.

sounds kind of like the situation we have where territories such as Puerto Rico don't pay federal personal income tax, but get to vote in our elections.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies