Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 09:07 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The gun control topic to me is the best indication that this country is in a serious state of decline. The inability for a nation-state to conform with times and address key issues is the markings of a failing state. Historically powerful empires often get politically and socially stagnate. They think what worked for them before will work for them now and in the future.

Other first world nations have successfully dealt with the gun issue with largely no fuss. Our gun crime rates are at a third world level and its beyond embarrassing that all we can do is throw are hands in the air and pretend like there is no solution. This nation dammed the Colorado River and put a man on the moon yet can't sort out its gun issues. Beyond pathetic.
We've managed some pretty impressive moments of silence though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:13 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times
Nothing will work to fix the problem, but our governments stalemate on the issue and their apparent ineptness to work in a bi-partisan effort to effect change on the issue means the government needs more fixing that any of they issues they deal with. Whatever move is made, the people on one side of the fence will be angry.

All I can think of is an increase in required education and a certificate of completion of gun safety classes approved by the government and maybe the NRA and other groups. I'm a CPA, and I had to take a 3-day exam to prepare taxes which required extensive studying beforehand. Now I have to complete 80 hours of continuing education every two years and renew my license. Why not something similar for gun ownership? I guess taxes are more lethal than guns.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It's a simple answer. Our entire society is sick, not just a few individuals. Just look at what our society considers entertainment for example... Sex, drug abuse, and violence. What successful movie has come out recently that doesn't contain at least one of those elements? The bloodier the better. We've reached a point where promiscuous behavior is the norm and abstinence is considered awkward. Smoking a joint is depicted as something that should be glamorized and promoted as a part of everyday life. Long gone are the days where kids were encouraged to "Just Say No"... Youth are trained from a young age to think that they are entitled to the life they want without having to work for it. We live in an age of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" and "micro-aggressions". Young people are completely unable and unwilling to deal with adversity or people who think differently than they do.

Our morals, values, and decency as a people have given way to complete depravity, and the more depraved we get, the more we accept depravity as normal behavior and the lower our standards become. So it should come as no surprise that young people who are already on the edge, when life doesn't go as they think it should, sometimes slip off as society accepts the idea that violence, for instance, is entertainment, and that life itself has no value.
Winner of the depressing comment of the day award!

Curious though, on the one hand there are those who will be quick to point out that gun violence in America today is not really a problem, quick as well with all the statistics to put those numbers into perspective. I wonder if in the same way we Americans tend to view all our problems a bit out of proportion, then pretty well just get back to our daily lives rarely to encounter these problems that others also claim are simply being "politicized."

For example, outside of the news and these threads, about my only REAL encounter with guns in my daily life these days is thanks to some nut case that likes to shoot his off in the middle of the night for no apparent reason, especially as 4th of July approaches and then a good while afterward. Our dog comes out of her skin, the neighbors phone the cops who don't even bother anymore, and year after year this idiot continues to fire his gun into the night...

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Nothing will work to fix the problem, but our governments stalemate on the issue and their apparent ineptness to work in a bi-partisan effort to effect change on the issue means the government needs more fixing that any of they issues they deal with. Whatever move is made, the people on one side of the fence will be angry.

All I can think of is an increase in required education and a certificate of completion of gun safety classes approved by the government and maybe the NRA and other groups. I'm a CPA, and I had to take a 3-day exam to prepare taxes which required extensive studying beforehand. Now I have to complete 80 hours of continuing education every two years and renew my license. Why not something similar for gun ownership? I guess taxes are more lethal than guns.
Most of us older people had gun safety classes as a child, then the Left decided that they were not politically correct.

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Mateen had gone through a somewhat rigorous training and safety regimen. How did that work out?

Old 06-24-2016, 09:19 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Learn me... Gun safety on schools? I brought it up. It's not my idea, I just used it as 1 possible mitigation.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:21 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Reminds me of the comedy movie, "He's Just Not that Into You."

Gun enthusiasts don't seem to understand that most average Americans are just not that into guns.

Hard as that may be for some to imagine...
Will ya, we do. I personally like that. There's only something like 5000 Deer tags for all of S Cal and there's 3 million people.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:22 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Learn me... Gun safety on schools? I brought it up. It's not my idea, I just used it as 1 possible mitigation.
The Left won't allow it. We had it when I was a kid.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You miss the point. Until you can stop ALL gun violence and 100% eliminate any chance of a criminal getting their hands on one, we don't want guns taken away. None of us want to be that one person who falls victim to a lunatic who got his hands on a gun when we can no longer have one. A gun is the great equalizer, allowing law abiding citizens the ability to protect ourselves against those who we may not normally be able to protect against. They have their role.

If you don't think they are capable of mass shootings in Spain, you're sorely mistaken. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean that it can't. People purchase illegal firearms every day. And Spain has enough issues with violence as it is.

There are a lot of issues in the US today. A gun itself is not an issue. The mentally unstable people that appear to be popping up from the woodwork is the real issue.
"A gun is the great equalizer?" Maybe if you have been invited to a duel, otherwise give me a break, pahleese!

One need only consider the police killed by armed criminals, or drive-bys, or acts of terrorism in which innocent victims are killed without seeing what's coming, armed or not, and more guns in the mix hardly "equalizes" anything other than maybe the body count of one gang vs another...

Or maybe a police force against the criminals, but civilians with guns hardly amounts to anything positive other than entertainment and sport for gun enthusiasts, including the many who love pretending wild wild west and war game scenarios.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:28 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The Left won't allow it. We had it when I was a kid.
The past is a great indicator, or harbinger, depending on perspective.

I didn't grow up with legal guns. I grew up where the movie traffic was filmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies