Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianThomas View Post
Banning Black people from firearms would be huge. Any Black caught with a firearm would be thrown in prison.

This would reduce murder by massive numbers.

This has been the intent of our federal government, since the end of the civil war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 04:28 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And the top murder perpetrators are often individuals who are the most likely to break the law. Gun laws mean nothing to them. Baltimore has some of the strictest gun laws in America. Murder rate is among the worst in the USA. Criminals don't care.

Someone on this thread recommended that Blacks be banned from owning guns. If that is done, only Black criminals would get the guns while law-abiding Blacks would be even more afraid and unable to defend themselves. Of course, that was the goal of Jim Crow.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:38 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the top murder perpetrators are often individuals who are the most likely to break the law. Gun laws mean nothing to them. Baltimore has some of the strictest gun laws in America. Murder rate is among the worst in the USA. Criminals don't care.

Someone on this thread recommended that Blacks be banned from owning guns. If that is done, only Black criminals would get the guns while law-abiding Blacks would be even more afraid and unable to defend themselves. Of course, that was the goal of Jim Crow.
100% correct.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:42 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I think a law to make it illegal to kill people would work, wouldn't it?
Slight problem: Democrats are usually against the death penalty. People who go around committing murders should get their just due.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:54 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post
Slight problem: Democrats are usually against the death penalty. People who go around committing murders should get their just due.
In some states yes. Calfornia has the death penalty. So does Colorado, Washington, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oregon, and Nevada.

Interestingly, Louisiana will execute people, and it leads the nation in murder. Sounds like the death penalty doesn't scare some people. Not saying they aren't getting their just due. However, just due doesn't seem to scare some people. I believe that the point of punishment is not only for justice. It is to set an example and to tell others "hey, this will happen to you if you do what he/she did".

Old 08-10-2016, 04:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurn350 View Post

There is a good reason there were public hangings. They were not cruel and damn sure were not unusual.
Embarrassment and death on the same day.....
People watched and learned what happens, if they ever lost self control like those hung did.

The public stockade was another good deterrent by embarrassment, that made the bad element leave town soon after release.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We have 99 pages of you getting the facts, but cannot accept them. So we go off in some delusional scenarios, to justify a point that would never happen in 100 million years.
Interesting, don't you think, that I feel essentially the same way about you and others commenting in this thread, specially you, and again with the "troll" business. Give it a rest already. I've done nothing but consider these comments, all of them in this thread I started, and I have offered my thoughts and opinion in return, along with the facts and information to help explain myself. If that is "trolling" to you, then why are you forever returning for more? Just to annoy? Surely you can do better...

Old 08-11-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
I can tell you ignore the data in the graph, as well as the questions I've posed to you. So here's one in simple terms that shows the folly of ONLY looking at gun deaths:

Which is better? Please select one.

[ ] 300 people murdered, 200 by gun and 100 by other means
[ ] 300 people murdered, 100 by gun and 200 by other means, and an extra $550 million spent

300 graves are still filled with murder victims. Just a different type. And that cost $550 million to circle a different murder weapon on a form?

Epic failure.
I have ignored nothing. In fact, I have addressed the data in your graph, both directly and with other information, opinion, facts to consider. Yet, I'm the one doing the ignoring? Why don't you ever specifically address those opinions, comments and data that describe Australia's gun control measures as some success rather than "epic failure?"

Nevertheless, somehow I am called upon to address these sorts of comments over and over as if they are the essential point of focus. Why should I when nothing I seem to explain gets even a nod of understanding?

Why, because I want to at least show I am not ignoring anything!

So, here we go again, with YOUR point of focus...

Is it "300 people murdered" or "300 people murdered and a cost of $550 million?" Really?

How about the actual numbers instead?

"There were 282 victims of homicide in 2007: a 12 percent decrease from 2006 and the lowest number recorded in the past 12 years."

Again, these numbers don't compute for you? Don't even exist?

Australian Institute of Criminology - Victims of violent crime statistics

Another question for you as well, how does the homicide rate compare between Australia and the U.S.?

I'll tell you...

The U.S. (3.9) about 4 times that of Australia (1.0)/100,000. These statistics are also not shown on your ONE graph...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Also BTW, about the "cost" of $550 million. With a small tax hike to help finance the buy-back, this was money paid to gun owners as required by the Australian Constitution, money from government coffers and put back into the Australian economy via the pockets of those gun owners, with approval by most Australians. Not exactly money that went up in smoke! In fact a return of money from the government is considered a win by many people. In this case many Australian gun owners...

Those are the facts plain and simple. Whether that all means "epic failure" to you or something else to others, Australians, why another spin around that circle, right? What I do also recognize as fact is that what the Australians did is not viable for America for a few significant reasons, including a much lower level of gun ownership in Australia to begin with, so I'd say a little too much time focusing on Australia either way. What extra time I have taken has only been to point out that maybe "epic failure" is not entirely fair or correct.

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-11-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
So you request facts, and when they're presented (e.g. the AIC graph), you ignore it.

Hypocrisy at its finest.
You too need to think again, please.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No it would not. It would only prevent law-abiding Blacks from having guns. It would prevent law-abiding Blacks from being able to defend themselves. Is that something that you want? Of course, considering earlier posts you have made, I'm not surprised you made this post. Banning Blacks from banning guns would only create an underground market for guns. Most murders committed by the gun are committed with guns that weren't obtained legally.

Something else. The USA leads the 1st world in murders committed with hammers, knives, and bats.

There is such thing as the Constitution, and the 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to own a gun. If you are in favor of Blacks being banned from owning guns, you are against this nation's Constitution.
Funny, even racist comments get more respect and attention...

Again, the truth of the matter is that incarceration rates (for crime) for people of color is just as extraordinarily high as gun ownership and gun homicide rates in America. About 30 percent of the population account for 60 percent of those imprisoned. Why? Not sure we've got the ability to consider these facts and the causes with any thinking that goes much beyond the standard here when all we've got to do is repeat that "guns don't kill, people do," flash the same graph, over and over, and of course, the 2A...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies