Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 09:03 AM

29,435 posts, read 9,617,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Rules and regulations are in place to prevent those who would suppress and impose the freedom from others, not the other way around.
You will have to define you version of freedom because as it is this nation right from the beginning it was never %100 free to begin with.
What's this? Can it be? Critical thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Much like the problem isn't drugs. It's the people using them and how.
So, the answer is to ban all drugs?

Good point, we know that druggies steal drugs from those with prescriptions and they rob pharmacies, so let's ban all drugs. Sure the people who legally use them will no longer have them, but that is what must be done.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times
Quote:
Closer to the count of 50 is this question about the "evil black rifle." Doesn't ever get old? Talk about the good laugh in any case!
That is brought up because that is what the 1994 law banned. The law was based strictly on looks, not function. Put a few accessories on a muzzleloader and it became illegal. Take a few things that did not affect function off an AR15, and it is no longer on the list. The government only banned "scary black rifles".

Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
That is brought up because that is what the 1994 law banned. The law was based strictly on looks, not function. Put a few accessories on a muzzleloader and it became illegal. Take a few things that did not affect function off an AR15, and it is no longer on the list. The government only banned "scary black rifles".
Well, many of the gun ban crowd were only interested in things that looked scary, so...

Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM

29,435 posts, read 9,617,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You DON'T deserve ANY mercy.

Whether you originate a post of respond to another, you IGNORE facts presented to you and claim "learn me"

How many time have you been told that the AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle? And you keep on blathering away?

You use recognized VERY biased sites as your sources then deride reputable sources that counter your sources claims?

I honestly believe you are very immature and ONLY post to "stir the pot" and see how much crap you can bring up.
I ask what specific information you are questioning and this is your reply?

When did I make the case that the AR-15 is an assault rifle? I devoted an entire thread to how weapons should be defined without using the term "assault!" Is that what you mean by "blathering away?" I think you are simply lost in an exchange of opinion that you can't follow. Which sites do you take issue with and why? More importantly, what information are you questioning?!?

If you honestly believe I am very immature, why are you forever bothering with these comments?

"Freedom" also means you can engage in this forum (or not) wherever, whenever and with whomever you wish!

For example, I have no more time for more of this sort of nonsense this morning, and no need to reply if you cannot track and/or suffer from such heartburn!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:13 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,522,222 times
Quote:
Interesting...

First, people all too often confuse what is a "right" based solely on what is written in the Constitution. Of course we have a right to "travel freely" whether by horse or by plane, but the founding fathers did not write these obvious rights into the Constitution because they are just that -- obvious -- and/or our founding fathers had no notion that man would someday also fly.

Agreed that any "no buy list" that becomes the law should become the law only if deemed Constitutional by way of the process also set out by our founding fathers who also had no notion that man would someday have the gun problem in America that we have today.

As for the "scary black rifle part," just how many times can we stroke ourselves with that sort of rhetoric, I surely don't know...
It's also obvious to the founding fathers that keeping and bearing arms including machine guns, cannons and warships was an existing right that did need to be specified in the Constitution. Therefore, they wrote a specific restriction to the government, not to the people, to restrict the government from infringing upon this right of the people.

The second amendment does not grant people's right to keep and bear arms, not at all! That right is obvious and already exists. The second amendment is to limit the government not the people.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:08 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,079,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There was a bunch of conservative Democrats better known as blue dogs that didn't want to push many liberal agendas because they feared losing their jobs. They've almost all been swept away when the Tea Party came in...
So they chose to represent their constituents because to betray them would result in being voted out.
They are obligated to represent their constituency.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:58 PM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
There was a bunch of conservative Democrats better known as blue dogs that didn't want to push many liberal agendas because they feared losing their jobs. They've almost all been swept away when the Tea Party came in...
Excuses never stop do they....

And actually, you must have forgotten the 2102/2014 elections, the dems were swept away, in a pretty brutal beat down....

Old 06-30-2016, 02:01 PM

46,217 posts, read 26,980,998 times
Quote:
Closer to the count of 50 is this question about the "evil black rifle." Doesn't ever get old? Talk about the good laugh in any case!
Figures you would laugh at what needs to happen, like it or not....typical leftist anti gunner....

Old 06-30-2016, 02:16 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,729,578 times
Quote:
RE 1.) Agreed, a nonstarter, impossible really.

RE 2.) Entirely disagree this is makes matters better rather than worse or that there are not other alternatives.

Though we might IMAGINE proper gun training for everyone, it is shear fantasy to think most people will do the right thing with a gun when they feel a threat, real or imagined. IMAGINED is just one of the problems. Vigilantism another. I do, however, agree that gun owners need to be trained to reduce the numbers of accidents that kill or injure themselves and others, most certainly including children within reach of guns.

I have asked repeatedly for solid data that indicates people with guns have actually prevented crime or gun violence to offset by any negligible degree what bad people do with guns. All I get in return are anecdotes.

Other options are as mentioned in the article at the start of this thread...

"The best approach is to zero in on that small number of high-risk people who are using guns to harm themselves or others."

"Law enforcement, mental health professions, and schools can help “connect the dots” about risky behavior and get help for young men in crisis. Sandy Hook Promise, founded by families of the Newtown school shooting victims, have worked to train schools and students to be aware of potential threats of violence and to say something – at least one school shooting appears to have been prevented because a student acted on the training."

Also as I have mentioned before, expect more and more security check points where metal objects are detected and cleared before entering public places like stadiums, schools, air ports, etc.
Here are 10 quick examples and included in the article is a link to the crime prevention research site. Should give you all the solid data you need.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ass-shootings/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies