Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2016, 03:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Even then, crime will continue. (Especially considering all the defenseless victims.)
It's not the crime or lifesaving the liberals are worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 03:48 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
"What could happen" Has taken the most liberty of all.

I want to be held accountable for what did happen.
Sterling should have been in jail for crimes already committed.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:54 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"What can be done to address this much larger toll of gun violence, which leaves nearly 100,000 Americans killed or wounded each year?"

Go back in time and convince the slavers that importing Africans to America is a long-term disaster.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Sterling should have been in jail for crimes already committed.

Then incarcerate them for life, or kill them, if they are not worthy of liberty.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:47 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Virtually every idea in that article could be viewed as a violation of the 2nd amendment or 4th amendment.

Gun nuts are fine with the status quo. That's the bottom line. You can't limit their access to firearms in any way, including ammunition. You can't deny anyone the right to buy a gun without a court case.

Bottom line, you aren't allowed to do anything about anything because 10% of the hard core, militant, gun worshipping country wants it to be exactly as it is, of worse. And when you realize that a good chunk of that 5% are far right survivalist types waiting for a race war, it makes further sense.
Reading the crazy news columns I see. So by your statement of 5% of America being survivalists types waiting for a race war, that would be around 18 million. Or the population of Los Angeles and Houston put together. Where are they hiding all their bunkers????

If you're going to spout off pseudo statistics, please provide a link, or a least a receipt for your tin foil hat...

Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Meant to post this here and leave the Assault Trucks thread...

Gun control still 'not the issue' for law enforcement despite police attacks

“When you are around gun violence all the time and you see this stuff, I think it shapes the way you think about your personal safety when you’re off duty,” Jim Bueermann, a former police chief and the president of the Police Foundation, a research and training group. He said street-level officers are more likely to support gun rights than the police chiefs who oversee them.

“You’ll hear this from street cops: ‘I don’t go anywhere without my gun’,” he said. “Police chiefs tend to take a much more strategic view of crime control than line-level officers do.”

After the Dallas attack, police chief David Brown, suggested that policymakers should “do their job” and do “something on guns”.

“There’s too many things we all agree on on both sides of the aisle that we haven’t gotten done,” he said at a press conference. Brown resisted addressing any specifics of what laws he might favor, saying that he did not want to “get in that debate and get swallowed up by both sides who are entrenched in their positions”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...open-carry-law

Old 07-21-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
How is that a straw man?

Somehow I don't think your quite clear on the definition.

Let me google that for you

Which is exactly why it's a non-starter in any discussion with the Left about gun violence.

Anything that requires processing the concept of personal responsibility just doesn't register.

You can't legislate it but you can certainly try to influence it in a more positive way and hold parents more accountable.
Are you suggesting I don't know what a straw man argument is? And then you link me to Google rather than the definition? That's not a straw man argument tactic but more waste of time just the same...

A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not advanced by that opponent.

When someone keeps repeating what THEY want to represent what "libs" think instead of the comment at hand, I for one have the choice of either ignoring an argument that is not the one I'm making or calling out the straw man argument for what it is, as defined above. Understand?

Also, be specific! What, exactly, is a "non-starter in any discussion with the Left about gun violence?"

Typically, anti gun control advocates are the ones going on about how we need to teach our children to become good adults. True, but that's not really a matter of public policy, because parenting cannot be legislated. Best we can do in those regards is public messages, perhaps, and what we teach kids in school, if their family life makes that possible.

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-21-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
The liberals would have a stroke. They have pushed to do away with gun safety classes for years and have almost succeeded.
Call me lucky or call me a liberal who doesn't want a stroke, but I raised my kids without guns being part of life other than as introduced in movies and video games. They have had good healthy productive lives, enjoying the likes of swimming, camping, riding bikes, not guns. They went to school and have had good friends, good times, school sports, music, etc., not guns.

Last thing I think we need when it comes to promoting a quality of life for all Americans is more about guns rather than less.

Still today, me and my family lives our lives without guns on hand or on the brain. We enjoy what we can of life in every way we can, including whatever makes good sense from the standpoint of avoiding danger as appropriate, not paranoid, though we all know we are forever possibly in danger if we are in the wrong place at the wrong time; walking, driving, flying, armed or not.

Fact is, I won't have a stroke about bringing guns into the class room, but I think it's a dumb idea just like many gun control measures are dumb. Hopefully better minds will prevail on all counts for all concerned, best we can manage anyway...

Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
If you read the statistics from Australia about their gun ban, you see that it did not work. There is no solution, except that gun violence is already declining on its own.
Consider the level of gun violence (homicides, not suicides) per capita by country, and you see the United States ranks too high, certainly higher than Australia. Those are the statistics that tend to be concerning, though no matter of concern can solve the problem it seems, we agree about that at least.

As for gun violence in decline, the ebb and flow of gun violence changes over time, going up and down for reasons the experts are not always so well able to understand, but I think economics plays a significant roll, nationally and especially at a local level. Drugs too, incarceration rates as well. This too has been covered to some extent in other comments and statistics presented in this thread.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Reminds me of the time I called the police for a hit-and-run. A guy severely back-ended me and then actually got out of his car and ran away. I called the police. They arrived after a good while, took some notes. I tried to chat with them and mentioned, "I have a cousin who's a cop."

The officer said, "'Cop?' That's drug talk!" And next thing I knew, I was cuffed and stuffed into the back of their squad car. And I'd called them.

I had an uncle tell me long, long ago:

"The police are not looking for justice, they are looking for an arrest. If they find a reason to arrest you, you'll do as well as anyone else. The DA is not looking for justice either, he's looking for a conviction. If he finds something to convict you on, you'll do as well as anyone else."

This is the thing: The so-called "criminal justice system" is not a justice system. It's certainly not a system designed to protect you as a citizen or individual.

It's a system designed to maintain social order.
Why do I sense there is a bit more to this story not being told?

Like every felon in prison will tell you they aren't guilty, right? I've had both good and bad experiences with "cops," mostly good but some bad, and here again it's pretty hard to brand all cops in the same way, just like we make the mistake of doing with race and religion and cultural background right?

In any case, if I call the "cops" for help, and they arrest me instead simply because I said the wrong thing, there would be Hell to pay, or is this a simple case of profiling, just what blacks have been complaining about for a long time now...?

You black?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies