Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 03:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Call me lucky or call me a liberal who doesn't want a stroke, but I raised my kids without guns being part of life other than as introduced in movies and video games. They have had good healthy productive lives, enjoying the likes of swimming, camping, riding bikes, not guns. They went to school and have had good friends, good times, school sports, music, etc., not guns.

Last thing I think we need when it comes to promoting a quality of life for all Americans is more about guns rather than less.

Still today, me and my family lives our lives without guns on hand or on the brain. We enjoy what we can of life in every way we can, including whatever makes good sense from the standpoint of avoiding danger as appropriate, not paranoid, though we all know we are forever possibly in danger if we are in the wrong place at the wrong time; walking, driving, flying, armed or not.

Fact is, I won't have a stroke about bringing guns into the class room, but I think it's a dumb idea just like many gun control measures are dumb. Hopefully better minds will prevail on all counts for all concerned, best we can manage anyway...

When your kids turn 18, what stops them from buying a shotgun? Now they have a gun and no one has educated them about the use, function and accuracy.
Once an adult, you the parent have no say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 03:36 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Criminology has already answered this question.

A small percentage of citizens (regardless of race, creed or color, but primarily male - aged 16 to 30) commit an outsized percentage of all crimes.

Lock them up when they offend (what we call 'incapacitation') and they can't commit crimes anymore. The crime rates drop like a stone, the violence level drops precipitously, and the victimology rates drop proportionally. The down side is that incarceration rates rise. We saw it between the late 1980s and 2010.

That, however, is politically unpallatable. Hence, the recent revision of sentencing guidelines that releases these offenders early; the prohibition on 'stop and frisk' procedures and the refusal to engage in other 'broken windows' community policing schemes. Not surprisingly, crime rates have risen; violence levels have skyrocketed and victimology rates are headed north.

This ain't splitting atoms - it is actually pretty simple. The problem is that everyone wants to inject race, sexism, drugs, gun control, ill-defined assault weapons, police behavior, and all of society's other conundrums into the mix, which confounds the issue enough so that anyone with an agenda can twist it to their fit their argument - whatever that may be.
Well, you haven't factored in the definition of "crime." Are the things that really cause chaos in society the things that are defined "crimes?"

Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When your kids turn 18, what stops them from buying a shotgun? Now they have a gun and no one has educated them about the use, function and accuracy.
Once an adult, you the parent have no say.
How many kids turn 18 and decide they want to buy or use weapons yet have had zero experience using them. All they hear from their Parents are guns = bad and evil.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:18 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
My kids and grandkids have all learned gun safety.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:43 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How many kids turn 18 and decide they want to buy or use weapons yet have had zero experience using them. All they hear from their Parents are guns = bad and evil.

More than one might think. Not so much the girls, but the boys will be boys. The tough guy deal.
My daughter has had a .38 special in her truck, since she started driving.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:16 PM

593 posts, read 1,377,896 times
If you want to stop gun violence, first all guns must be confiscated from the civilian population so that only the military, the police, and the criminals have them. Second pass more laws and other words on paper and signs that the authorities wont enforce or cant enforce. Like gun free zones and convicted felons not allowed to keep/own guns. That will fix it!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Homeboy View Post
If you want to stop gun violence, first all guns must be confiscated from the civilian population so that only the military, the police, and the criminals have them. Second pass more laws and other words on paper and signs that the authorities wont enforce or cant enforce. Like gun free zones and convicted felons not allowed to keep/own guns. That will fix it!
You are being sarcastic right? No one could be that stupid.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Call me lucky or call me a liberal who doesn't want a stroke, but I raised my kids without guns being part of life other than as introduced in movies and video games. They have had good healthy productive lives, enjoying the likes of swimming, camping, riding bikes, not guns. They went to school and have had good friends, good times, school sports, music, etc., not guns.

Last thing I think we need when it comes to promoting a quality of life for all Americans is more about guns rather than less.

Still today, me and my family lives our lives without guns on hand or on the brain. We enjoy what we can of life in every way we can, including whatever makes good sense from the standpoint of avoiding danger as appropriate, not paranoid, though we all know we are forever possibly in danger if we are in the wrong place at the wrong time; walking, driving, flying, armed or not.

Fact is, I won't have a stroke about bringing guns into the class room, but I think it's a dumb idea just like many gun control measures are dumb. Hopefully better minds will prevail on all counts for all concerned, best we can manage anyway...
That explains a lot, just another ignorant liberal who "learned" everything he knows about guns from Hollywood and video games and thinks that's all he, and worse his kids, needs to know.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:16 AM

13,235 posts, read 7,290,839 times
Freedoms vr security is always going to be something we Americans will struggle with. It's no different then mass wire tapping to try and mitigate the next terrorist attack. Violence is a direct result of poverty if you look at what areas of the country are the highest crime rates are it's relational. What needs to change is getting these populations educated and working instead of containment is what we have now. Education doesn't have to be college either, but I don't see governments helping. Trade schools cost is way up and there is no programs to get it done. Some gun control is good like an instant background check, but we hear only a small % of the states share 100% of their information. Maybe some sort of safety course you can't get a hunting license without taking a safety course. I have been to ranges seen some really un-safe handling of a firearm. People are still going to die by a firearm but should be restrict it so much to try and keep people alive I don't think we should live without American Freedoms.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Given the recent acknowledgement that some police shoot unarmed citizens how will eliminating private ownership of guns stop violence? The most it will do is stop people from defending themselves from police assault. Maybe?

I would like to reduce ALL forms of violence between people. Violence is a people problem and the guns are only the tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies