Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 05:05 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've followed this issue for a while now, also by way of more than a few gun threads, and though I have not been altogether against gun control, I have come to accept there isn't much that can be done to stop gun violence in America or even to lessen the body count by any acceptable level.
The gun control topic to me is the best indication that this country is in a serious state of decline. The inability for a nation-state to conform with times and address key issues is the markings of a failing state. Historically powerful empires often get politically and socially stagnate. They think what worked for them before will work for them now and in the future.

Other first world nations have successfully dealt with the gun issue with largely no fuss. Our gun crime rates are at a third world level and its beyond embarrassing that all we can do is throw are hands in the air and pretend like there is no solution. This nation dammed the Colorado River and put a man on the moon yet can't sort out its gun issues. Beyond pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 05:45 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
T This nation dammed the Colorado River and put a man on the moon yet can't sort out its gun issues. Beyond pathetic.
That's because, it's not really a "gun" issue. The problem is that the veil of civility in this country is tearing at the seams. Guns don't make people kill people. The easy access to guns in this country has always been there - the current level of violence and acting out of rage has not.

I believe our legislators are becoming afraid of the populace. Afraid that the some of the disastrous policies they have made are coming back to haunt, and threaten them. They are not truly concerned with the well-being of good, average, law-abiding working people. They are only concerned about themselves. So, they latch onto every mass shooting as an opportunity to control us, to tell us what's "good" for us. Yet, they are protected by all kinds of security themselves, and that includes firearms.

I don't own a gun. Yes, I realize we have a problem with crime and violent behavior. But I do not want THIS sham of "leadership" we currently have in Washington making decisions about gun control for us. That frightens me more than the average thug on the street.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What do you mean it's not worth the trade off? What's the trade-off? NOT having criminals roaming the streets? It's not worth that?
Economic damage of those people lost from the economy, even as relatively low producers in the black market economy, they are an economic loss and their loss to their families is a rippling loss.
Damage to our own civil rights and freedoms by streamlining the criminal justice system to put people in prison more effectively with less safeguards and less rights.
Damage to our reputation as a country from incarcerating in such huge numbers.

There are lives saved as a direct result, though many of those lives saved (maybe most) are instead in prison anyway.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You are exactly correct - let's start with the Government Definition with "mass shooting death" -- it's 3 people.
And don't forget that the Mass Shooting Tracker, the one that so much of the media uses for their huge numbers, defines a mass shooting as 4 casualties. You could have no one die, you could have 4 graze wounds, and it is a mass shooting for the Mass Shooting Tracker.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
That's because, it's not really a "gun" issue. The problem is that the veil of civility in this country is tearing at the seams. Guns don't make people kill people. The easy access to guns in this country has always been there - the current level of violence and acting out of rage has not.

I believe our legislators are becoming afraid of the populace. Afraid that the some of the disastrous policies they have made are coming back to haunt, and threaten them. They are not truly concerned with the well-being of good, average, law-abiding working people. They are only concerned about themselves. So, they latch onto every mass shooting as an opportunity to control us, to tell us what's "good" for us. Yet, they are protected by all kinds of security themselves, and that includes firearms.

I don't own a gun. Yes, I realize we have a problem with crime and violent behavior. But I do not want THIS sham of "leadership" we currently have in Washington making decisions about gun control for us. That frightens me more than the average thug on the street.
There are mentally unstable, uncivilized folks in every nation on earth. The difference between lets say Spain and us here in the states is that in Spain mentally unstable lunatics cannot get a hold of guns very easily. Hence they are not capable of mass shootings because the instrument required is unavailable. We will never rid the world of crazy people but we can reduce the damage they can inflict upon us.

If we want to protect the working class, we can protect them from predatory businesses and from the mirage of financial scams that hold them down. Find a way to bring more jobs back to blighted areas. We can change government to allow for our voices to be better heard. None of the issues that inflict the working class in the 21st century will require the use of a weapon to be fixed.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
The gun control topic to me is the best indication that this country is in a serious state of decline. The inability for a nation-state to conform with times and address key issues is the markings of a failing state. Historically powerful empires often get politically and socially stagnate. They think what worked for them before will work for them now and in the future.

Other first world nations have successfully dealt with the gun issue with largely no fuss. Our gun crime rates are at a third world level and its beyond embarrassing that all we can do is throw are hands in the air and pretend like there is no solution. This nation dammed the Colorado River and put a man on the moon yet can't sort out its gun issues. Beyond pathetic.
Take away Suicides and gang on gang killings and we are very low in the world.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:04 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Bingo...we have a winner...and correct.. but this never gets a word in the media
Suicides and accidents dont make good news, and neither does ghetto killings. without those three there are a couple of thousand killings a year.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:43 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
It's not "gun violence", as our politicians would like you to say, it's "people violence". The "guns" aren't committing the violence. People are.

Tougher sentences and punishments for repeat perpetrators of violence and crimes may help. Bring back the chain gangs and make imprisonment a real punishment, not a place for free food, work-out rooms, and health care.

For those that lash out in unpredictable domestic violence acts and random mass shootings, the real question here is why are people so sick in our society? Not something that is easily answered, solved, predicted, nor "legislated".
It's a simple answer. Our entire society is sick, not just a few individuals. Just look at what our society considers entertainment for example... Sex, drug abuse, and violence. What successful movie has come out recently that doesn't contain at least one of those elements? The bloodier the better. We've reached a point where promiscuous behavior is the norm and abstinence is considered awkward. Smoking a joint is depicted as something that should be glamorized and promoted as a part of everyday life. Long gone are the days where kids were encouraged to "Just Say No"... Youth are trained from a young age to think that they are entitled to the life they want without having to work for it. We live in an age of "safe spaces" and "trigger warnings" and "micro-aggressions". Young people are completely unable and unwilling to deal with adversity or people who think differently than they do.

Our morals, values, and decency as a people have given way to complete depravity, and the more depraved we get, the more we accept depravity as normal behavior and the lower our standards become. So it should come as no surprise that young people who are already on the edge, when life doesn't go as they think it should, sometimes slip off as society accepts the idea that violence, for instance, is entertainment, and that life itself has no value.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:44 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:

Question for you. Do you care about violence in general, or do you only care about "gun violence"???

Old 06-24-2016, 08:24 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:

Translation:

I'm afraid of guns and want to ban them and don't care about the millions of law abiding people who own them. They need to be punished, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies