Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
The car analogy is almost as bad as your argument here, and please..., to make the lame claim so typical that I'm proving your point, when obviously disagreeing with you, that really work for you?

That "squirming" as you put it, rather than just accept I'm trying to explain something to you, is also more posturing that hardly serves any productive purpose, but do you really think that because I can't give you a "complete list of gun laws," you've proven anything? All you prove, again, is that you can't understand a thing I went to some effort to explain to you.

Look, I have agreed there is not all that much that can realistically be done about violence and/or gun violence that will EVER satisfy anyone, but I don't think this means some levels of gun control are not appropriate and worthwhile.

As to your test, as I've also asked before..., if you want to be specific, offer up what specific gun law you want opinion about, or what specific legislation is actually in Congress, please, rather than these nebulous objections to all gun control considerations.

This request or perspective also too "odd a world view" for you?
We already have gun laws. I think we have enough now. You want more? Give us the complete list so we can be done and move on. That's not too much to ask.

Any reply you give that doesn't include that complete list is squirming.

If I went to a store and asked how much something costs, if their answer is "just keep handing me more money", I ain't buyin'! Just like I'm not buying your additional gun reform until you give me a total bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A lot of women are raped by men who have no weapon whatsoever--nothing but their own masculine speed and strength. I have myself been attacked by a gang intending to stamp me to death with nothing but their shod feet. What's nonsense about that?

And when you know that is the case, and you know that police will not arrive in time to save me (and in fact, courts have ruled the police don't even have that responsibility), then, yes, your intention to deny me the choice of how I protect myself is, indeed, a deliberate denial of my right to personal safety. You might as well deny a woman the right to an abortion to save her own life.

Okay, you're on the record of being willing to stop banning firearms just short of muskets. Keen.
I suppose we need to accept that we don't make much sense to one another. You certainly don't make much sense to me...

One problem at a time, shall we? Rape is an entirely different subject, also a significant societal problem, yes having to do with the ability of one person to dominate another, and do harm, whether with a gun or without. Violence of this sort or any other sort is obviously at the root of all our concerns, all the more so when weapons are involved, particularly guns. Right?

Are you here to write your comment today because your enemy chose to stamp you to death rather than just shoot you?

Do you think I don't understand the various examples of danger you or anyone can muster up, for me and my family? We simply choose to address those fears and concerns in different ways, that's all. That doesn't make you any more right or wrong than me when it comes to those fears and concerns or how to address them.

Listen, I'm not advocating you not do as you feel you must, with guns, as is legally your right. Either address my comments directly, specifically, or take up your arguments with those making them, not me!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Regardless of facts , right ? And that is why the Anti crowd and the Pro crowd will never come to a compromise.
Not so much regardless of facts, more like the inability to make sense of them, but yes..., the "reasonable approach" requires not only the effort to maintain balance of perspective, avoid the rhetoric and nonsense, and do the best with the facts by way of sound reason and logic, AKA critical thinking. What is the alternative to no compromise, for example? Often a result that is even less palatable for either side...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is, but in this forum, understanding left from right is enough a challenge at even the most fundamental levels.

Someone who doesn't understand what I'm talking about, can you please explain what it is about blacks that cause you to think race is the cause of violence? Please. Is it in the DNA then? Please explain yourself!
Nobody said race is the cause of violence, except in your accusation. Go back and re-read those posts.

The indisputable fact is certain demographics have a higher propensity to be involved in crime. That's not racist, that's fact. The overwhelming majority of people with ovaries are female. Is that "sexist"?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I don't have to explain a thing. I never brought up race.
Seemed to me you were agreeing with whomever did bring up race (comment 829). You're comment 833 wasn't exactly that?

Who do you think you are kidding or what did you mean then?

Either way, my request was to whomever believes violence is a function of race and how that works. We all know the statistics, just curious how those who blame blacks explain why that is, that's all. For example, is it in the DNA or what?!?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:49 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Most gun violence is happening in states with the strictest gun laws. Just saying!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
We already have gun laws. I think we have enough now. You want more? Give us the complete list so we can be done and move on. That's not too much to ask.

Any reply you give that doesn't include that complete list is squirming.

If I went to a store and asked how much something costs, if their answer is "just keep handing me more money", I ain't buyin'! Just like I'm not buying your additional gun reform until you give me a total bill.
Nice try, but the nice thing about a forum like this is that you don't make the rules. You only comprehend others (or not) and express yourself as you wish, and if that means your condition of a "complete list," fine. If you can't be specific as to your heartburn, that seems more like squirming to me...

If you want to talk about buying groceries at the store, please don't waste my time. If you want to talk about legislation and/or public policy about some of our most significant societal problems, like; education, health care, national security, our economy, violence..., I'm afraid you won't get a simple "bottom line" as it seems you require.

Maybe best you stick to buying groceries and simple stuff like that. Do yourself the favor, for me too...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Most gun violence is happening in states with the strictest gun laws. Just saying!
Maybe they aren't strict enough then, possible?

Kidding! Just kidding!!! No more time for gun fun today, maybe tomorrow! Be sure to keep your powder dry in the meantime...

Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Some people believe that the 2nd Amendment to our Constitution gives them a right to be armed. I disagree. Being alive gives me the right to defend myself from assault. The society does not have any right to tell me what knowledge or technology I know or use to do that defending. It is my life I am protecting and, if circumstances demand, possibly yours as well.

When society decrees that it, thorough its police, private guards or other security agents, does NOT have the responsibility of defending me it has absolutely no right to restrict how I decide to protect myself. How when and where is MY decision not theirs.

I understand why some people believe we would all be much safer if there were no guns available to anyone. They do not realize that a deadly assault does not require any weapons at all. They have probably been protected by their parents, their schools and, they think, the police. They have not but they have been just plain lucky if they have not been attacked. They seem to believe they will never be attacked and if they are the authorities will intervene and protect them. They ignore the fact that the authorities said they do not have the responsibility to protect anyone but themselves. You are on your own. Many people would much rather deny that fact then accept just how frightening having to defend yourself is.

Instead of confiscating the "scary looking", let alone all, guns I suggest that firearm safety and use be taught as early as Jr. High to every child in the country including girls, minorities, handicapped, and religion. This would remove the fear of guns from most people as well as teaching them that they are, once they are adults (?), full responsibility for defending themselves. I consider giving a HS graduate a concealable pistol or a rifle at graduation a proper way to show them they are now adults. I believe the results would be beneficial as we would then have a properly trained armed citizenry ready and able to actually defend themselves.

The remaining criminals that have existed as muggers, robbers, rapists, home breakers and similar thuggish behavior would soon learn that this generation of American are no longer easy meat and may just take up less dangerous forms of criminality as real estate speculation to earn their livings. This would apply to the survivors anyway. The criminals that are killed by someone defending themselves from an attack are of no importance.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Nice try, but the nice thing about a forum like this is that you don't make the rules. You only comprehend others (or not) and express yourself as you wish, and if that means your condition of a "complete list," fine. If you can't be specific as to your heartburn, that seems more like squirming to me...

If you want to talk about buying groceries at the store, please don't waste my time. If you want to talk about legislation and/or public policy about some of our most significant societal problems, like; education, health care, national security, our economy, violence..., I'm afraid you won't get a simple "bottom line" as it seems you require.

Maybe best you stick to buying groceries and simple stuff like that. Do yourself the favor, for me too...
Still no complete list.

Squirm away! We're not buying until you show us the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies