Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 12:30 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times

Advertisements

I just caught a movie on cable, Liberty Stands Still with Wesley Snipes and Linda Fiorentino. It's not about the movie itself or what you think of it, but it's the content that's relevant today (and probably tomorrow too).

Short synopsis from the web:
As the heir and current marketing director for one of the nation's biggest gun manufacturers, Liberty Wallace (Linda Fiorentino) is indifferent to the atrocities made possible through her business and her CEO husband, Victor (Oliver Platt). On her way to see her actor lover, Liberty ends up chained to a food cart full of explosives -- all at the insistence of "Joe" (Wesley Snipes), a sniper whose young daughter was a victim of gun violence, and who now has Liberty in his sights.

Sixteen years later, seeing where we are today with sit downs in Congress to force gun control legislation to be voted on, the NRA, people arguing about their 2nd amendment rights.....etc...This issue has been a slow burn for many many decades, and to date it's just one big hamster wheel with government and the people on that wheel running nowhere.

So what next? Those crying rights will continue to do so. THose pointing at guns and terror watch lists and more legislation will continue to do so. All the while, terrorism continue to grow, innocents continue to be killed by guns, and people continue to buy guns.

Will this be a forever standstill? I wish I had a solution but I don't. Yes I would like to see action in congress, but I honestly can't define what I believe that action should be.

Last edited by metalmancpa; 06-23-2016 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 02:25 PM

991 posts, read 628,728 times
A gun walks into a bar ...

Which brings up a possible, behind the scenes scenario:

LORETTA LYNCH vs. OMAR MATEEN

MATEEN: "I shot up the Pulse Club because I am a member of ISIS."

LYNCH: "No you're not."

MATEEN: "Wait, what? Yes I am..."

LYNCH: "No, this has nothing to do with Muslim terrorism. I have no idea why you did this, but it wasn't radical Islam."

MATEEN: "WHAT!? Did you read what I told the 911 operator? I gave explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and homosexuals."

LYNCH: "No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You are not a true Muslim, and you defame a great religion by saying so."

MATEEN: "Who are you to tell me I'm not a true Muslim!? Islam is literally at the core of everything I do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts, the Quuran. It is my very reason for being."

LYNCH: "Nope. We're still trying to figure out why you did this. I bet it's because of White Men. It's because you were disenfranchised. We're sorry."

MATEEN: "What? Why are you apologizing? I just slaughtered you mercilessly by the dozens. I targeted unwitting civilians and gays - disenfranchisement doesn't even enter into it!"

LYNCH: "Easy access to guns is what drives your anger."

MATEEN: "It's not the guns! We will knife you, hang you, burn you, run you over, and bombs are easy to create in our kitchens! We don't care about the guns! In fact, civilian gun ownership might actually make it difficult for us!"

LYNCH: "Obviously we need to ban all guns. We need to overturn the Second Amendment."

MATEEN: "By Allah, you are a motherless tool! The weapon is not the issue! Our Holy Jihad against you is the only thing that is important!"

LYNCH: "Climate Change is the reason you rage against us. We deserve it."

MATEEN: "What does Climate Change have to do with this???"

LYNCH: "Because of Climate Change, the oceans will rise by one-tenth of one inch, and that makes you furious...."

MATEEN: (facepalms)

LYNCH: "You see no future for your children because of Climate Change so you strap bombs on them and send them into shopping malls.

MATEEN: "NO ... It has NOTHING to do with Climate Change or Gun Control or ANYTHING like that! It is because we follow the teachings of the Prophet Mohammad, who tells us to put all unbelievers to the sword! We are commanded by Allah to kill you all!"

LYNCH: "This is all caused by the fact we bullied gays and transgenders in our past. If we hadn't been so mean, and accepted Bruce Jenner for the amazing woman he was all those years, you would not be trying to kill us. Please forgive us."

MATEEN: I targeted gays for slaughter! We kill gays the moment we find them! We hang them by their necks any chance we can! Islam hates homosexuality!"

LYNCH: "Listen, it's our fault. We resisted resettling you in our country. We should have given you more welfare and food stamps. We don't blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out."

MATEEN: "Stop taking credit for this!
I worked really hard to pull this off, and I'm not going to let you take it away from me."

LYNCH: "No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame."

MATEEN: How many people do I have to kill to get my message across?""

LYNCH: "Gun control will fix this."
(compliments of Lazamataz)

Old 06-23-2016, 07:19 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,212,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
A gun walks into a bar ...

Which brings up a possible, behind the scenes scenario:

LORETTA LYNCH vs. OMAR MATEEN

MATEEN: "I shot up the Pulse Club because I am a member of ISIS."

LYNCH: "No you're not."

MATEEN: "Wait, what? Yes I am..."

LYNCH: "No, this has nothing to do with Muslim terrorism. I have no idea why you did this, but it wasn't radical Islam."

MATEEN: "WHAT!? Did you read what I told the 911 operator? I gave explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and homosexuals."

LYNCH: "No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You are not a true Muslim, and you defame a great religion by saying so."

MATEEN: "Who are you to tell me I'm not a true Muslim!? Islam is literally at the core of everything I do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts, the Quuran. It is my very reason for being."

LYNCH: "Nope. We're still trying to figure out why you did this. I bet it's because of White Men. It's because you were disenfranchised. We're sorry."

MATEEN: "What? Why are you apologizing? I just slaughtered you mercilessly by the dozens. I targeted unwitting civilians and gays - disenfranchisement doesn't even enter into it!"

LYNCH: "Easy access to guns is what drives your anger."

MATEEN: "It's not the guns! We will knife you, hang you, burn you, run you over, and bombs are easy to create in our kitchens! We don't care about the guns! In fact, civilian gun ownership might actually make it difficult for us!"

LYNCH: "Obviously we need to ban all guns. We need to overturn the Second Amendment."

MATEEN: "By Allah, you are a motherless tool! The weapon is not the issue! Our Holy Jihad against you is the only thing that is important!"

LYNCH: "Climate Change is the reason you rage against us. We deserve it."

MATEEN: "What does Climate Change have to do with this???"

LYNCH: "Because of Climate Change, the oceans will rise by one-tenth of one inch, and that makes you furious...."

MATEEN: (facepalms)

LYNCH: "You see no future for your children because of Climate Change so you strap bombs on them and send them into shopping malls.

MATEEN: "NO ... It has NOTHING to do with Climate Change or Gun Control or ANYTHING like that! It is because we follow the teachings of the Prophet Mohammad, who tells us to put all unbelievers to the sword! We are commanded by Allah to kill you all!"

LYNCH: "This is all caused by the fact we bullied gays and transgenders in our past. If we hadn't been so mean, and accepted Bruce Jenner for the amazing woman he was all those years, you would not be trying to kill us. Please forgive us."

MATEEN: I targeted gays for slaughter! We kill gays the moment we find them! We hang them by their necks any chance we can! Islam hates homosexuality!"

LYNCH: "Listen, it's our fault. We resisted resettling you in our country. We should have given you more welfare and food stamps. We don't blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out."

MATEEN: "Stop taking credit for this!
I worked really hard to pull this off, and I'm not going to let you take it away from me."

LYNCH: "No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame."

MATEEN: How many people do I have to kill to get my message across?""

LYNCH: "Gun control will fix this."
(compliments of Lazamataz)

You have a very strange but eerily accurate sense of humor.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
epliny - That is hilarious, and not far off point

Old 06-23-2016, 11:14 PM

39,851 posts, read 26,477,889 times
If you want to watch a movie about gun control, watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4JIAqOme0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies