Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:19 AM

35,683 posts, read 21,035,253 times

Advertisements

what no fly list?- did someone say there is a no fly list?- who said it? there is no such thing- except people say there is one- who admitted to that? Need to know basis if here was one- but who said there was? Do you need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:31 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
The OP did have a good question.
If someone is deemed to dangerous to fly... I'm assuming it is due to their background and possible links to terrorist organizations then what are they doing walking around?
As we have seen numerous times one determined guy with a gun can do alot of damage, one guy with a truck and a fertilizer bomb can do even more.

It makes sense that if you are on the "no Fly" list that you should also be on a "no buy" list as well but the big problem is who is making up these lists and if you are mistakenly put on one how do you get off of it. If you are on the lists for a reason then what are you doing walking around with us?

A determined terrorist will find a way to kill and he doesn't need a airplane, a gun, or a truck bomb.

There is such a thing as Due process in America and it all sounds so Communist to have a list of people that are not allowed to do certain things even though we all know they should not be.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Other than the rather foolish typographical error (at least, I hope it was a foolish error), that is a very good question!
the same applies to the "Terrorist Watch List".

Personally, I find it more than a little frightening that there are so many citizens willing to give up their
Constitutional rights. Perhaps it is because of the feeling that "It isn't MY rights being violated, it is those other people!" I wonder what they will say in the unlikely event that THEY find their name on such a list, and THEY lose their rights!
I rather imagine that there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth!
It is amazing the {D} leaders are fighting against due process and the constitution and some from the left are cheering. They could have had a gun control bill with due process and they did not want it. They are not protesting for a gun bill they are protesting against due process. I find it sad that others would support giving our corrupt gvt that much power and have no concern of the gvt abusing that power. This country seems to be stuck on stupid.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
These suspected individuals are not send to jail. You can't send to jail someone who didn't act yet. But if you know what they are planning or intend to do, better be cautious. No fly an no weapon licence is not terrible. Better be safe then sorry.
Good point. Please be sure to forward a list of all your Japanese friends and neighbors to your local government representatives, they have an excellent "opportunity" for them to go to summer "camp"

Constitution and rule of law don't really mean anything anyway, its just a sheet of paper.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:53 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Good point. Please be sure to forward a list of all your Japanese friends and neighbors to your local government representatives, they have an excellent "opportunity" for them to go to summer "camp"

Constitution and rule of law don't really mean anything anyway, its just a sheet of paper.
Again, the parallel to Japanese "relocation camps" misses the point. The FBI has these people under surveillance without my (or your) help. It is about not giving them firearms license. That is all. Unless you wish we get to the point where Americans are too scared to continue everyday life. If we have to choose between the principle of "firearms to all" and public safety, the later comes first. Sure, you can dramatize the situation and compare it to Nazi Germany or Stalin, but if you live in reality....
By keeping the mad dogs away from weapons we won't have to charge them later. If the Orlando mad dog was not allowed to carry weapons (as per 2ed amendment) 50 lives could have been saved. And that's hardly the end. Wait for more "constitutional" acts to follow. So yes, not letting them carry guns is a reasonable price to pay.

Last edited by oberon_1; 06-24-2016 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 03:48 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Are some of you thinking of the Terrorist Watch List? There are over 1.5 million people on that list. Globally, not just in the U.S.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:43 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,973,785 times
Quote:
Again, the parallel to Japanese "relocation camps" misses the point. The FBI has these people under surveillance without my (or your) help. It is about not giving them firearms license. That is all. Unless you wish we get to the point where Americans are too scared to continue everyday life. If we have to choose between the principle of "firearms to all" and public safety, the later comes first. Sure, you can dramatize the situation and compare it to Nazi Germany or Stalin, but if you live in reality....
By keeping the mad dogs away from weapons we won't have to charge them later. If the Orlando mad dog was not allowed to carry weapons (as per 2ed amendment) 50 lives could have been saved. And that's hardly the end. Wait for more "constitutional" acts to follow. So yes, not letting them carry guns is a reasonable price to pay.

7 Ways That You (Yes, You) Could End Up On A Terrorist Watch List

3. Or somebody else could just think you’re a potential terror threat.
The guidelines also consider the use of “walk-in” or “write-in” information about potential candidates for the watch list.

5. Or you could just know someone terrorist-y, maybe.
the immediate family of a suspected terrorist — including spouse, children, parents and siblings — may be added to the Terrorist Identities Datamart Environment (TIDE), a broad terror database that feeds into the TSDB, “without any suspicion that they themselves are engaged in terrorist activity.”

Also
In one highly publicized incident in 2005, a 4-year-old boy was nearly barred from boarding a plane to visit his grandmother.

Edit - just realized this is for the terrorist watch list, but I'm leaving it here because I'm still opposed to the functioning of the no fly list for similar reasons. If its not clear how you are put on, or what the process is for getting off, its a highly questionable method for taking away someones rights.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what no fly list?- did someone say there is a no fly list?- who said it? there is no such thing- except people say there is one- who admitted to that? Need to know basis if here was one- but who said there was? Do you need to know?
joking?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...o%20fly%20list

https://www.aclu.org/infographic/gro...fe-no-fly-list

Old 06-25-2016, 02:21 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,541 times
Rep Lewis Was Once On The No-Fly List He Wants To Use To Restrict Gun Rights

Quote:
Democratic Rep. John Lewis was erroneously put on the no-fly list he now wants to use to restrict gun ownership for U.S. citizens.

Lewis staged a “sit-in” at the House of Representatives Wednesday to call for a law barring people on the federal no-fly list from purchasing guns. But Lewis himself was erroneously put on the list at one point for an entire year, meaning he would have been unable to buy a gun had his new proposal been law.
Rep Proposing 'No-Fly No-Buy' Was Once On The No-Fly List | The Daily Caller

Old 06-25-2016, 01:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
These suspected individuals are not send to jail. You can't send to jail someone who didn't act yet. But if you know what they are planning or intend to do, better be cautious. No fly an no weapon licence is not terrible. Better be safe then sorry.
I refuse to compromise my liberty, for safety. For then I would get neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies