Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,078,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There's huge difference between having some on hand and giving people their entire supply, including the portion they use at home.

Schools have had pads and tampons on hand for surprises forever. This article is about the losers that can't afford $7-10 per month because they already blew that money on booze, drugs, lotto tickets or whatever it is that the irresponsible spend their money on.
Here in the city I live in, it's next to impossible to find public toilets. If there were enough of them around that homeless women could use them and use feminine hygiene products as needed, I'd see your point.

But as that's not usually the case, it's cheaper and easier to just provide the feminine hygiene products themselves than to build more public toilets equipped with them.

Every day, I see (often having to literally step over) homeless people lying in their own body fluids (of various types). It's just not hygienic or healthy -- for them or anyone else who might come in contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:13 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,453,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I'm informed it's quite common for school restrooms to have soap next to the sink. One of them hygiene things.
You seem to be a bit confused about what needs to be stocked in every restroom versus personal hygiene items.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
What annoys me is the government involvement. It's one less thing for people to be responsible for.

This is my complaint exactly. Where does it end?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Here in the city I live in, it's next to impossible to find public toilets. If there were enough of them around that homeless women could use them and use feminine hygiene products as needed, I'd see your point.

But as that's not usually the case, it's cheaper and easier to just provide the feminine hygiene products themselves than to build more public toilets equipped with them.

Every day, I see (often having to literally step over) homeless people lying in their own body fluids (of various types). It's just not hygienic or healthy -- for them or anyone else who might come in contact.

So you're taking it a step further and want them made available for free in all public restrooms?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:20 PM

46,756 posts, read 25,667,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You seem to be a bit confused about what needs to be stocked in every restroom versus personal hygiene items.
I am not sure the confusion is on my part, truth be told. What makes a tampon a "personal hygiene item" as opposed to a roll of toilet paper?

Old 06-23-2016, 06:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,831,897 times
They better have them in the mens rooms too!

Old 06-23-2016, 06:25 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,831,897 times
But I have nothing against this. I do view it as the same as toilet paper as well. Besides, menses STINKS! The less of that smell wafting in your direction in crowded public places the better. Same with feces and butts.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am not sure the confusion is on my part, truth be told. What makes a tampon a "personal hygiene item" as opposed to a roll of toilet paper?
Toilet paper, soap, paper towels to dry ones hands are all necessary to use the ladies room by all women each time they use it. It's not expected that individuals walk around with their own supplies.

It was my understanding, at least up until some years ago when I last had this discussion, that there are machines in school bathrooms and public bathrooms where one could purchase such items, in addition to keeping them in ones purse or backpack.

The government shouldn't be mandating any more hand holding when they're not doing anyone any favors in doing so. Calling for personal responsibility at some point would give them more credibility than doing things like this or calling men who stay with their families "heroes".

Give me a break.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:35 PM

46,756 posts, read 25,667,740 times
Quote:
Toilet paper, soap, paper towels to dry ones hands are all necessary to use the ladies room by all women each time they use it. It's not expected that individuals walk around with their own supplies.
"It's not expected" is not an argument, it's just a call on tradition.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,078,179 times
Quote:
So you're taking it a step further and want them made available for free in all public restrooms?

Or at least have them available in dispensers for a low cost each.

TP, toilet liners, soap, and paper towels are already provided. So what's the issue with feminine hygiene products?

I'm assuming you're male, but as a woman myself, I know how impossible it is to buy individual tampons. If you need one, you have to buy a whole box of them, and they're around $4-8 for the smallest package of them.

What would be more affordable to a homeless woman? $6 or $0.25?

Plus this would be more portable than having to lug around things in bulk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies