Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Congrats to Great Britain on their Independence Day!
Indeed! God bless our brothers and sisters over there. A wave of freedom has been unleashed, and it is being felt right here. We will have our voices heard in November, and it will be deafening to the establishment elites! As the Brits have voted Britain first, we shall vote America First.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Markets are not waiting 2 years for this to sort out.

World markets are plunging.
They always pitch a fit when they do not get their way.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:44 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,601,343 times
Congrats UK from "across the pond"

Old 06-23-2016, 10:47 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
So. A group of countries who, over the last thousand years or so, have regularly attacked, invaded, and waged all-out war against one another roughly every 3 and a half months decides to form a confederation of nations and work together to advance their common interests.

And then one morning they all wake up and remember why it was that they have spent a millennium waging war against one another.

Well, I give them credit for trying, anyway.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:49 PM

891 posts, read 1,054,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
So. A group of countries who, over the last thousand years or so, have regularly attacked, invaded, and waged all-out war against one another roughly every 3 and a half months decides to form a confederation of nations and work together to advance their common interests.

And then one morning they all wake up and remember why it was that they have spent a millennium waging war against one another.

Well, I give them credit for trying, anyway.

Well, its a lil more complex than that, but yea, thats the jist of it......

Old 06-23-2016, 10:50 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,509 times

France is on its death bed. The country has instituted currency controls and there's a massive war on cash. I was in both Corsica and Tropea (Calabria) last year and the indigenous Corsicans despise the French Government and want autonomy. Every French themed/language road sign throughout the Island is shot up with buck shot. - To send a message.

The EU's end is on the horizon.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Once the EU ends, America will be so powerful again.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt .45 View Post
Well, its a lil more complex than that, but yea, thats the jist of it......
You're right, of course - it is an extreme oversimplification. But as you also say, I think it does speak to what was always the achilles heel of the EU - these are countries that go back many, many centuries, with their own deeply established values, traditions, cultures, and priorities. Obviously they all have many common purposes - but when push comes to shove each of them is always going to put their own country first, influence the process to produce an outcome that is as favorable as possible to their own interests, and hold a grudge when they get pushed into doing something that turned out not to be to their advantage.

It was a noble experiment in human social evolution, and I wish it would have worked, but I think it was always just a matter of time before it couldn't hold itself together anymore. It's like two positive magnetic poles - they can co-exist just fine when they're on the same table, but the closer you try to force them together the more they're compelled to push themselves apart. In retrospect, I'm really not sure if the EU ever could have worked, and I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:42 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
My post header was clear: Progressive leftists don't get their world government just yet.
Clear, yes. But that doesnt mean it makes sense.

This was a vote that crossed party lines in the UK.

The Conservative party leadership was clearly against this, where as a large chunk of the Labor Party was for it. Scotland and Northern Ireland both voted to stay in which are both pro Labor

Old 06-24-2016, 01:27 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Gota say....I'm completely shocked. I never thought they would allow them to escape. Never thought the bulk of the British People would have the stones to vote to leave. I was critically wrong and I am very impressed with their resolve.
Britain has been Great a lot longer than any other Euro nation. I'd say they developed their resolve when they made the invading Romans lives hell, and finally drove them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Clear, yes. But that doesnt mean it makes sense.

This was a vote that crossed party lines in the UK.

The Conservative party leadership was clearly against this, where as a large chunk of the Labor Party was for it. Scotland and Northern Ireland both voted to stay in which are both pro Labor
This was a vote against the establishment, and the failing policies of the progressives. Sometimes common sense and personal freedom trump the herd perspective. Brits are waking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
I traded out of both my miners and two shale oil producers by 1 :00 pm today.
I may just ride it out now that the futures are coming back. Good thing you got out of the miners, as they are being hammered.

I wish I had the foresight to load up on USD/GBP...man talk about a ride up

Last edited by steven_h; 06-24-2016 at 01:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies