Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 08:41 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do you think they should have the right to leave with a majority vote?

Legally, no but even aside from that states seceding by a simple majority vote would cause havoc. They asked to join the union and they need to comply with the ground rules. They would have some rather large problems if they were able to become a country.

Quote:
Yet even before Texas formally rejoined the nation, the U.S. Supreme Court declared that secession was not legal, and thus, even during the rebellion, Texas continued to be a state. In the 1869 case Texas v. White, the Court held that individual states could not unilaterally secede from the Union and that the acts of the insurgent Texas Legislature — even if ratified by a majority of Texans — were "absolutely null."

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06...united-states/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Trying to have Obama strong-arm Texas into shutting up? And you think that will work?
Not really "strong arming." More like bringing up a very real fact about what would happen if Texas were to theoretically secede.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

<snip>

The Amish don't have to worry about war, nor have they generally been affected by famine. So, that leaves childhood disease and plagues. And as many might know, the Amish don't generally get vaccinated.

Most disease is the result of densely-populated cities, and long-distance merchant trade.

If everyone lived like the Amish, I would bet the life-expectancy would be ~70+.

From this link...

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ld_Order_Amish

"Analyses were conducted on 1,655 individuals, representing all those born prior to 1890 and appearing in the most widely available genealogy, surviving until at least age 30 years, and with known date of death. Mean age at death (SD) in this population was 70.7 plus or minus 15.6 years, and this did not change appreciably over time."
About 70% of Amish people vaccinate.
Anecdotal Amish-don’t-vaccinate claims disproved by fact-based study | The Panic Virus

Current life expectancy in the US is 79.68, almost 80. The Amish are such a small group, their numbers don't even make a difference.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I despise talking politics with women. I have never met a woman in my entire life who knows much of anything about politics, except what they personally feel based on what they've heard or been told.

I have never met a woman for instance, that has read any books on political theory, or history, or economics. I've never even met a woman who has watched a long political video on youtube(think "Zeitgeist: The Movie" for reference).
Excuse me?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
You are misrepresenting the numbers.

Going by your link, "Before the U.S. measles vaccination program started in 1963, about 3-4 million people in the U.S. got measles each year; 400-500 of them died, 48,000 were hospitalized, and 4,000 suffered encephalitis (brain swelling) due to measles."

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Measles/FAQ Disease & Vaccine

Compare that to the flu...

"5% to 20% of the U.S. population will get the flu, on average, each year."
"200,000 Americans are hospitalized each year because of problems with the illness."
"3,000 to 49,000 people die each year from flu-related causes in the U.S."

Flu Statistics: What Are Your Odds of Getting the Flu?

Even if you adjust for population size, the flu killed somewhere between 4 and 80 times more people every year than measles.

So yes, the measles vaccine was certainly beneficial, but when contrasting 400-500 measles deaths, to the 16,000 homicides, or the 30,000 automobile-related deaths, you're talking about a drop in a bucket.

I'm not opposed to vaccines by any means, but the dangers of most diseases are incredibly exaggerated.

"During 2012, 48,277 cases of pertussis were reported to CDC, including 20 pertussis-related deaths."

Pertussis | Whooping Cough | Outbreaks | Trends | CDC

What I quoted, was that rates of death from heart disease rose steadily, and peaked in 1968. Thus people were less-likely to die of heart-disease before 1968, as well as after 1968.

But let us not forget, everyone has to die of something. If you increase the likelihood of dying of one thing, then you decrease the likelihood of dying of another. People are dying of heart disease and cancer more, because they aren't dying of other things.

Did you even read your own link? If you read the section called "Amish suffer genetic problems for a few reasons", it says...

"Small founding groups - individual Amish communities typically originate from relatively few families. Genetic isolation - converts to the Amish have been rare, and Amish only marry other Amish. This practice of endogamy, with few new bloodlines entering the population, has led to limited variation of genes. These two factors combine to create a “founder effect”. A founder effect means that genetic variation is lost over time due to a limited number of founding individuals."

I literally said, " The genetic diseases are not because of current inbreeding. Rather it is because all of the current Amish came from a relatively small number of immigrants from Central Europe. It is actually caused by something called the "founder effect"."

The Amish are basically as inbred as the Jews, who have Tay-Sachs.
I agree that lots of people die from flu every year. Flu, in fact, is the vaccine-preventable disease that causes the most deaths in the US. There is also a vaccine for flu. However, if vaccination were discontinued, the deaths from the other VPDs would come right back. And it would be kids, not mostly senior citizens (as in the case of flu) dying.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
I know the supreme and district courts would be glad if Texas seceded, it would reduce their cases in half.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:32 PM

719 posts, read 1,058,841 times
I am from South Carolina (the guys who invented this secession stuff) and this isn't even interesting. Everyone here knows that federal money keeps SC running and we don't complain. Republicans here keep ahead of the Democrats by making sure that money keeps coming in for things such as deepening the channel into the Port of Charleston. It's not a secrete and no one talks about reforming the CSA.

Last edited by senecaman; 06-27-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 01:08 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
I am from South Carolina (the guys who invented this secession stuff) and this isn't even interesting. Everyone here knows that federal money keeps SC running and we don't complain. Republicans here keep ahead of the Democrats by making sure that money keeps coming in for things such as deepening the channel into the Port of Charleston. It's not a secrete and no one talks about reforming the CSA.

The Sons of Confederate Veterans certainly do. I would like to see a poll of Republicans in the South vs the North and see the % of those for and against their state seceding. Wanna bet the numbers are far higher in your neck of the woods?

It is no secret that Southerners still hate the Fed Govt and don't even really believe in it. In their minds, it blocked their independence in the 1860's, and for decades has challenged the abuse of American citizens living in said southern states.

The South idolizes a traitor named Robert E Lee, while many up here find it despicable that the man swore an oath at West Point, broke said oath, and took up arms against his own country. Disgusting man.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Default Brexit like event will happen in US

Brexit like event will happen in US, whether with Trump or through other means will happen here. There is no happiness with either presidential candidate but the one that resonates the issues that affects majority of the voter will get the nod. America has voted for disrupters in the past and not afraid to throw a monkey wrench at the incumbent's party.

Biggest issues with Brexit is the same here:

1. Immigration
2. Over-reaching central government over local government
3. globalization disrupting local workforce and trade
4. refugee crisis

These are the top issues that affects Britons and Americans.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I think the biggest threat is the overreaching federal government. The others points you listed are exacerbated by an activist government or a government taking the wrong policies. Cut the federal government back and "optimize" it on more appropriate issues, and many of the concerns we're facing today will essentially resolve themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies