Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 06:57 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,092,794 times

Advertisements

After the "remain" side lost there was instant sour grapes from the losing side. "72.2% is not a big enough of a voter turnout. It needs to be 75%." "52% is not a big enough of a majority, it needs to be 60%." "Look we quickly got 3 million signatures for a revote!"

Except much of the 3 million signatures are turning out to be fake.

39,411 signatures are from the Vatican City -- total population 800, hmmm.

23,778 signatures came from North Korea -- right.

South Georgia and the Sandwich Islands, which has ZERO year round population somehow produced 3,000+ signatures.

The British Antarctic Territory has 400 scientists and ZERO settled population, but somehow produced 2,700 signatures.

Etc.....

Sour grapes rigging in abundance.

Second referendum petition: Concern as call for new Brexit vote gains more than 39,000 signatures *from Vatican City - population 800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 07:25 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
2 million yesterday (now 3 million petition signatories)--in this short a time--is a massive bs red flag. The 2 million supposed signatures yesterday--one day after the results--reeked of 'off,' left field, scripted, unusual.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 AM

27,658 posts, read 16,151,349 times
This comes as no suprise. Tear it up. Move forward with the exit.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
It's getting more difficult for the Ministry of Truth to manipulate us in the Tech Age.
Of course the Low Information crowd will continue to believe the Fairy Tales.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:43 AM

572 posts, read 280,262 times
Since 48% of voters wanted to remain, it seems well over 3 million people in the UK support that position regardless. And it only takes 100,000 signatures for the petition to be recognized. It seems more likely that someone would want to sabotage the petition than add unnecessary signatures to it.

I don't understand why anyone would think that this is 'the will of the people' as a whole and there's some massive conspiracy to suppress people's voices. Unanimous decisions aren't even how democracy works.

On an issue as heated as this, it isn't completely unrealistic to expect people to demand a do-over... I doubt it will happen, but acting like this is a huge controversy or some sort of attempt to undermine the will of the people is dumb.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's getting more difficult for the Ministry of Truth to manipulate us in the Tech Age.
Of course the Low Information crowd will continue to believe the Fairy Tales.
It's this kind of crap that has helped cause all of this. I fully support Brexit and those trying to over throw the establishment here in the U.S. but that doesn't mean others have absolutely no legitimate concerns.

Dismissing those concerns with insults is not how to get people to see and understand your concerns.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
Since 48% of voters wanted to remain, it seems well over 3 million people in the UK support that position regardless.

I don't understand why anyone would think that this is 'the will of the people' as a whole and there's some massive conspiracy to suppress people's voices. Unanimous decisions aren't even how democracy works.
In a democracy there is always winners and losers. Nobody ever said it was the will of the people overall. What is being pointed out is that people voted to leave in part because of B.S. trickery like we see here.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:44 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's this kind of crap that has helped cause all of this. I fully support Brexit and those trying to over throw the establishment here in the U.S. but that doesn't mean others have absolutely no legitimate concerns.

Dismissing those concerns with insults is not how to get people to see and understand your concerns.
It's not an insult to point out that some folks are totally clueless and believe any Tweet the read. Anyone who is not "concerned" is an idiot. This is a Major Event that is shaking Financial matters Worldwide.

Do FAKE online petitions help in any way? I don't think so, but that's just me. I much prefer to know what is really happening instead of what is a scam.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It's not an insult to point out that some folks are totally clueless and believe any Tweet the read. Anyone who is not "concerned" is an idiot. This is a Major Event that is shaking Financial matters Worldwide.

Do FAKE online petitions help in any way? I don't think so, but that's just me. I much prefer to know what is really happening instead of what is a scam.
The petition does appear to be a scam but there are people with legitimate reasons to not leave the E.U. They lost but that doesn't mean some of their concerns aren't legitimate.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:49 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
I would think a revote is likely. The next year will disclose the reality of the situation. And the mass of that information is going to be perceived as negative. The immigration situation, a big motivator, is likely to remain mostly unchanged for instance. And a hard stand by the UK can have draconian consequences.

And the real issue is what does it take to make a net change of 2%. Less than a million votes out of 35 million.

I would describe the decision as tentative until it survives for a while and the turmoil clears.

On the other side of course the EU may also go unstable making it a very interesting year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies