Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:09 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Hmm.. . okay. but what happens to the diabetic or the cancer patient that goes through the $5K pretty quickly.. would they then have to pay for everything out of pocket.. and how would they do that ?
A cancer patient can go to a public hospital, plus since cancer is not over a lifetime, a lot of their costs might be covered by rolled-over monies.

As for diabetes, not sure. But if you don't think health care rationing would occur in a government system, you're seriously wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 02:18 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
A cancer patient can go to a public hospital, plus since cancer is not over a lifetime, a lot of their costs might be covered by rolled-over monies.

As for diabetes, not sure. But if you don't think health care rationing would occur in a government system, you're seriously wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean by rationing..

Im' one that would support a ssytem similar to that in France and UK. One in which we all have UNIVERSAL coverage (which covers anything and everything) funded out of our tax dollars.. and for those that want "extra" insurance (like for elective surgeries or to pay for private rooms in hospitals etc.) then they can go ahead and get private insurance.

I've had this discussion so many times on another thread, I can't really get into it here.. but it's called "Fear of Universal Healthcare Thread" that talks about the British system in particular.. started by a Brit.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:33 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,459 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by rationing..

Im' one that would support a ssytem similar to that in France and UK. One in which we all have UNIVERSAL coverage (which covers anything and everything) funded out of our tax dollars.. and for those that want "extra" insurance (like for elective surgeries or to pay for private rooms in hospitals etc.) then they can go ahead and get private insurance.

I've had this discussion so many times on another thread, I can't really get into it here.. but it's called "Fear of Universal Healthcare Thread" that talks about the British system in particular.. started by a Brit.
Universal healthcare is rationed healthcare by definition.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Universal healthcare is rationed healthcare by definition.
NO it is not.. you dont' get a "voucher' that limits you to one or two visits. AT ALL!! To me rationaing means you only get one or two loaves of bread etc. And to say that it is rationed is absurd.

UHI means that if you get sick. you go to the Dr. and you are covered.

You get cancer, you need treatment, you are covered.

means if you get hurt and loose a finger.. it won't cost you 10K to attatch said finger etc. Your finger will be fixed.

it means if you happen to need heart medication you don't have to go to the poor house to afford it. it's covered (maybe a small copay)

Oh.. and it's NOT FREE because the taxes you paid out of your paycheck went into the pot..

Old 02-17-2008, 03:39 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Good post!

It makes you wonder why Federal government wants to make things so complicated.

They could complicate 'intercourse' with their train of thought.
Maybe because it was the federal government that relaxed the regulations on the insurance companies and allowed them to start defrauding their policyholders in the first place.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
GreatDay ..you confuse me..on one hand you talk about insurance being able to cross state lines as one of the reasons healthcare costs are high.. yet now you talk about each state mandate their own healthcare (or I should say health insurance) regulation.. so which is it?
Personally - I would love to take the health insurance issue out of the Federal Governments hands and put it with each state.

Let each state provide for their citizens.

That to me is the optimum.

Absent that happening, then, change the laws to allow insurance to be sold across state lines.

Read the 10th.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
^ yes then states with great healthcare benefits will see a huge influx of those seeking care and an exodus of those with crappy care. This isn't a political issue about state's rights it's about providing equal healthcare throughout the nation.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
The problem with our health care system is not that it doesn't work. The problem is that it works too well. It is very good...such that people with diseases that would have killed them long time ago continue to survive. Americans are living longer. This is a good thing...but it brings with it a new set of issues. Our expectations of what a good health care system ought to be has changed. It is no longer enough to control your diabetes and prevent kidney failure. We must also be able to treat the erectile dysfunction that comes with diabetes so that guys can continue having and enjoying sex well up to their 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies