Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 12:19 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We have laws for clinics that do "boob jobs" and "lip injections", but don't dare restrict the right to kill a baby by insisting on some standards of care for the patient.
Then why didn't Texas require that ALL outpatient surgical procedure providers follow those same standards?
Why only hold abortion providers even NON SURGICAL abortion providers to a higher standard than all other clinics that offer outpatient surgical procedures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 12:20 PM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
"But what about the wimmens!!!!!!"
Liberals clearly don't give a damn about women. As long as they can get subpar abortion medical care, all's good.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:21 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The physician in charge of the facility does indeed have admitting privileges, and while surgery centers do have high standards they have to meet, they are not required to provide hospital-like OR standards.
This is the very first time I ever heard the term 'surgery center'. You've mentioned it several times.

Fancy term for 'clinic'??

Old 06-27-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That's your excuse for acquiescing to have women treated as 2nd class citizens? Well, he did it, so I can, too?
How is it second class to be treated as all other outpatient procedures are treated?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Liberals clearly don't give a damn about women. As long as they can get subpar abortion medical care, all's good.
How is it subpar to have the SAME requirements as other outpatient surgical procedure providers?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:24 PM

89,001 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A patient who takes an abortifacient under the direction of a physician goes home to take the drugs and await expulsion of the products of conception.
And when that's incomplete? What happens then? Like I said, a surgical abortion must be performed, and that procedure already has complications.

Why insist on treating women like 2nd class citizens when there's clearly no need to? No one's wailing and hand-wringing about lack of access to surgery centers that must meet the higher standards.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Public hospital? You mean like Stroger in Chicago? I'm calling BS on that as a public facility cannot impose religious beliefs on those they serve.
Nope. Not Chicago. And, yes, the Board of Directors has strong-armed doctors willing to provide abortion. The controversy continues to this day. I just read an article about the local abortion clinic potentially having to close its doors despite three OB-Gyns stepping up to meet the admitting privileges requirement. The Board rejected the proposal out of hand, but the fight to keep the clinic open continues. I am not bull-****ting you. Many members of my family have worked both in medical and non-medical roles at that hospital, including one of my parents, although he is long retired. When I needed an abortion for severe fetal defect, I could not receive treatment there, which is how I ended up in another part of the state. The whole thing is disgraceful, and it's one reason I will never, ever, move back.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
Quote:
No, I'm disgusted that so many of you are willing to accept substandard conditions at women's abortion clinics. Why do you so strongly believe women should be treated like 2nd class citizens in regards to their health care needs?
You believe in being informed, correct?

This is a 90-minute film recently shown on PBS.
Inform yourself.

Trapped - ITVS

Old 06-27-2016, 12:32 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Gotta love Gov Abbott's response and his tireless mission to protect women's health.

Quote:
Governor Greg Abbott today issued the following statement on the Supreme Court’s ruling on HB 2:
“The decision erodes States’ lawmaking authority to safeguard the health and safety of women and subjects more innocent life to being lost. Texas' goal is to protect innocent life, while ensuring the highest health and safety standards for women."

Old 06-27-2016, 12:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Why do you think women should be treated as 2nd class citizens in regards to their health care needs?
Quote:
If you believe women should be treated as 2nd class citizens, yes. Why should abortion clinics have to meet high medical standards, right?
Frankly, I think that women in general - this thread notwithstanding - are smart enough to see through the phony "concern" that was the basis of these laws, and see that those backing such laws thought women too stupid to realize what was going on.

If interested, for further reading see the joint amicus brief from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the American Medical Association. Personally - and I'm not saying this to offend anyone here - I would take their medical expertise over that of anyone participating in this online discussion, including my own admittedly non-existent medical expertise.

Excerpt:

Quote:
Women should have access to all needed medical care — ranging from mammograms to prenatal visits to reproductive care — based on the latest medical developments and scientific facts. Women who live in Texas are no exception. Yet, Texas’ House Bill (“H.B.”) 2 imposes government regulation on abortion care that is not based on scientific facts or the best available medical knowledge.

Putting aside the legal and constitutional infirmities presented by H.B. 2, there is simply no medical basis to impose a local admitting privileges requirement on abortion providers or to limit medical abortion to specific regimens, especially when scientific progress has demonstrated that other regimens are safer and more effective. H.B. 2 does not serve the health of women in Texas, but instead jeopardizes women’s health by restricting access to abortion providers and denying women well-researched, safe, evidence-based, and proven protocols for the provision of medical abortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies