Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 07:50 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I guess I should have said "adequate" emergency care. The law requires an abortion clinic be within 30 miles of a hospital with emergency surgical care.
No the law requires the abortion provider to have admitting privileges in a hospital within 30 miles of their office. Most complications do not happen in the office, they happen in the week after when the woman is at home. If the woman is at home the distance from the office to the hospital doesn't matter she will be calling an ambulance that will take her to the nearest hospital to her home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 PM

15,622 posts, read 10,378,651 times
Abortion would not be my choice, but my choice does not overrule my opinion of a woman’s right to choose. And, of course, I respect the opinion of those who disagree.

You are not going to change my mind and I am not going to change yours.

This is one part of the Republican platform where I am not in agreement. The party should leave this issue alone.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That response is rather creative, closing all abortion clinics in an area the size of Connecticut doesn't prevent a single abortion. Maybe they just need to travel to Mexico or self abort. They closed over half of the clinics in Texas, I don't know how you can make that statement.
Look, there are a number of laws which have closed businesses. I mean, you don't think the regulations on automobiles didn't either close many independent manufacturers, or prevent new ones from entering the market? You don't think food-safety regulations didn't close down businesses, or prevent new ones from starting up?

The law requires the abortion clinics to meet higher standards, and if they cannot meet those standards, then they cannot operate. It is no different than any other safety-regulation which has ever been passed.

The only question is whether or not those increased standards are necessary. Which leaves us with the real question, would those higher standards save any lives?

If they could save even one life, then you could argue that the standards are necessary.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Look, there are a number of laws which have closed businesses. I mean, you don't think the regulations on automobiles didn't either close many independent manufacturers, or prevent new ones from entering the market? You don't think food-safety regulations didn't close down businesses, or prevent new ones from starting up?

The law requires the abortion clinics to meet higher standards, and if they cannot meet those standards, then they cannot operate. It is no different than any other safety-regulation which has ever been passed.

The only question is whether or not those increased standards are necessary. Which leaves us with the real question, would those higher standards save any lives?

If they could save even one life, then you could argue that the standards are necessary.
Quote:
We add that, when directly asked at oral argument
whether Texas knew of a single instance in which the new
requirement would have helped even one woman obtain
better treatment, Texas admitted that there was no evidence
in the record of such a case.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...5-274_p8k0.pdf

Old 06-28-2016, 08:05 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No the law requires the abortion provider to have admitting privileges in a hospital within 30 miles of their office. Most complications do not happen in the office, they happen in the week after when the woman is at home. If the woman is at home the distance from the office to the hospital doesn't matter she will be calling an ambulance that will take her to the nearest hospital to her home.
Absolutely true. Just a few hours after my abortion (at a hospital, btw, just not the one in my hometown), I returned home. Were I to have had complications, I would have called emergency services and been transported to the hospital just a few miles from my house, the same one that had denied me a medically-warranted termination despite having appropriate facilites and the willingness of my obstetrician, who had privileges. If this is the battle I faced as the daughter of a physician and with plenty of healthcare contacts, can you imagine what a young woman out in the boondocks with no knowledge of the system faces in seeking an abortion?

Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,201,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We add that, when directly asked at oral argument whether Texas knew of a single instance in which the new requirement would have helped even one woman obtain better treatment, Texas admitted that there was no evidence in the record of such a case.
If the law would protect no women, then it is frivolous and unnecessary.

My only point was that, based on Obama's own logic, if a law would save a single life, then it is necessary.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:17 PM

57,213 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:

Regulations for automobiles were consistent across the industry, the laws in Texas relative to abortion clinics would amounted to just requiring Fords to have catalytic converters.

Those additional standards are unnecessary, the AMA and other medical organizations have indicated such.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:

My only point was that, based on Obama's own logic, if a law would save a single life, then it is necessary.
And even Texas couldn't point out how the law would have made it safer than it already was. That is part of the reason it was overturned.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

57,213 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:

The lawyer representing Texas was asked that very question, he did mot have one example.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:35 PM

37,091 posts, read 41,220,763 times
Quote:
I'm not debating whether abortion is more safe than pregnancy. The question is whether the government should have the authority to make abortion(as well as pregnancy), as safe as possible. Does it have the right to regulate abortion clinics, and hospitals, and doctors, to require them to meet certain standards, which make these procedures safer, and thus save lives.

The law requires abortion clinics guarantee that their patients will have access to emergency care. And we know that hundreds of thousands of women have needed emergency care after their abortions. And we further know, that if they didn't have access to emergency care, many more of them would have died.

The law, taken by itself, does not prevent a single abortion.
In essence what you just said is that there is already access to emergency care, which is true and the reason that more stringent laws are unneeded for safety.

By limiting access - forcing abortion providers to close because they cannot afford to comply - the law does prevent abortions. That was its sole purpose.

Abortion down 14 percent in Texas since new restrictions closed clinics | | Dallas Morning News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies