Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2016, 02:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's untrue.

People with Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia have functioning brains. A brain might be damaged by disease or by some physical act, but it is still functioning at some level, and the person still has a personality, is still conscious of a self.

They aren't comparable with a fetus.

Really? My mother suffered from Frontal lobe dementia and could only answer questions of basic information. She forgot to eat for days and days at a time, so needed round the clock assistance. She had no personality other than to repeat herself and ask the same questions over and over. She was incapable of maintaining her personal hygiene or even the basics of using the restroom without assistance. She was basically a shell of her former, vital self.

The description you gave as to the reason to terminate is the exact description of my mother for the last 4 years of her life. So should she have been terminated and if so, would that be deemed murder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Surgery is cutting the skin, which is typically not done for an abortion. Circumcision cuts the skin. Plastic surgery cuts the skin. Breast augmentation cuts the skin. Shall I go on? Do pediatric or plastic surgeon offices operate under those same stringent regulations? What about varicose vein treatment? Same regs?

This SCOTUS ruling is a victory for women.

This SCOTUS ruling is a victory for women. who desire the ability to terminate human life when they deem it in their best interest.

FIFY

Old 07-01-2016, 02:51 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
This SCOTUS ruling is a victory for women. who desire the ability to terminate human life when they deem it in their best interest.

FIFY
Yes. That's the law of the land.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:06 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Surgery is cutting the skin, which is typically not done for an abortion.
Oh, for pete's sake. PLEASE become better informed:

Surgical Abortion (First Trimester)
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/treatment...rst_trimester/

Surgical Abortion (Second Trimester - limited to 15 to 23 weeks after last menstrual period)
https://www.ucsfhealth.org/treatment...ond_trimester/

SCOTUS has ruled that abortion centers that perform outpatient surgical procedures on women don't have to meet the same state medical and facilities standards that are required of ambulatory surgery centers that perform outpatient surgical procedures on men.

Plain as day: 14th Amendment equal protection clause. Either the state standards apply to all facilities performing outpatient surgery, or they apply to none.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:07 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In FACT, they did not. You are lying.
Nope. Already proved you WRONG:

Abortion centers that perform outpatient surgical procedures on women don't have to meet the same state medical and facilities standards that are required of ambulatory surgery centers that perform outpatient surgical procedures on men.

Plain as day: 14th Amendment equal protection clause. Either the state standards apply to all facilities performing outpatient surgery, or they apply to none.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Really? My mother suffered from Frontal lobe dementia and could only answer questions of basic information. She forgot to eat for days and days at a time, so needed round the clock assistance. She had no personality other than to repeat herself and ask the same questions over and over. She was incapable of maintaining her personal hygiene or even the basics of using the restroom without assistance. She was basically a shell of her former, vital self.

The description you gave as to the reason to terminate is the exact description of my mother for the last 4 years of her life. So should she have been terminated and if so, would that be deemed murder?
She was still functioning at some level. Ask a 12-week fetus a question.

I didn't give a description as a reason to terminate. You must be confused.

I personally do have instructions regarding such a situation, however. I had an uncle who had a head-on collision with a semi-truck when he was riding a motorcycle. The police officer was scraping up brain matter from the pavement at the scene of the accident. However, the hospital, which was part of a Catholic network, put him on life support at the hospital, and it took three painful days to get the hospital to turn the machines off. In a situation where my brain function is absent, where doctors hold out no hope for recovery, I do not want to be kept artificially alive.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:

FIFY
Because women certainly should not be able to evaluate what is and isn't in their best interests. That role should fall to men, right?

Old 07-01-2016, 03:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Simply nonsense. The issue is the right of a women to control tissue growing in her body as she sees fit. It has nothing to do with why she thinks that. Eventually it becomes a human being whose rights must be respected but that is not how it starts.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:27 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

That's just a tiny fraction of the whole list. The only reason Gosnell got caught at all was by accident on a tip to authorities that controlled substances and/or illegal drugs were being sold by Gosnell's abortion clinic. So it got raided and all the rest of the mess was found.

Whether I agree with abortion or not, abortion really is an outpatient surgery and should be expected to have the same standards for sanitation as any outpatient surgical facility. Governments are specifically told to leave them alone and not inspect them. That's how Gosnell got away with everything he did. Texas was probably trying to make it harder to get an abortion, but they're 100% right in principal. An abortion clinic shouldn't be some massively unsanitary "chop shop" for women's uteruses. Just because I disagree morally with a woman getting an abortion doesn't mean she deserves to get AIDS or syphilis as a punishment.

Yes they should and do if they're performing surgeries. Pediatric clinics are inspected regularly. They don't get a pass on standards for sanitation or other medical regulation. Government regulators aren't afraid of being punished by federal courts for inspecting pediatric clinics.

I don't know about the cases you're talking about. Our son's circumcision was performed at the hospital he was born in on the day he was born.
It's asinine to use Gosnell as an example of the typical abortion provider. PA dropped the ball by not enforcing its existing laws.

Texas has had to concede that applying ambulatory surgery center standards to abortion facilities would not do anything to make abortion safer, because it is already so safe.

Abortion facilities in Texas were already being inspected. Please show us the evidence that they were unsanitary prior to the current law.

Neonatal circumcision sometimes is not done until after the baby goes home. Pediatricians do the procedure in the office. Should the pediatrician's office have to have a pre-op holding area and a post anesthesia intensive care unit?

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 07-01-2016 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies