Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Nope. When my kids (girls) were young, "safe handling of a gun" meant locking up their Dad's guns in a combination safe. Same for myself. They didn't know the combination, gun safety, and neither did their Mom.

Our daughters are now adults and out of the house. My husband's guns are still locked up in a safe. Lock them up is still Grandma's "safe handling of a gun" with no young children around but for her own safety. I do not want some intruder coming into the house, finding a gun, and using it on ME.

Do you really think that every adult, let alone children, in a gun household knows gun safety, or wants to know? Lock them up is the best safety there can be.

Just some insight into one Liberal's views who lives with a Conservative gun owner. Keep your guns but keep them away from me, and the children when they were living with us.

Whether you are going to keep the guns locked up is personal choice and has to be carefully considered whether you have kids or no kids. If you have kids their age, maturity and the circumstances of where you live are all considerations.

You taught your kids about sex presumably? It's the same thing with guns especially if they are in the household. It's not something you want them learning on the street or unprepared for. Just because you have them locked up doesn't mean they will never encounter one or someone with one. Knowledge is never a bad thing as long as it's age/maturity appropriate, it may just save their life or someone else's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 02:15 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny how that works, isn't it?

They fit reality into a preconceived moral framework. They use boat anchors for tail wings, and they put catsup on chocolate cake. They put a camel and a penguin in a pen and feed them both dog food. They chew their water and drink crackers if they must.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
So where does this guy official stand? I see his name pop up time to time and sometimes he seems like a liberal and at others he is moderate. I don't know if anyone would consider him conservative.
Maher used to be more critical towards both parties back in the day. He has mellowed and become more partisan over the years. He has embraced identity politics and hopped on team Obama in 2008.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The #1 for me is when you lay out actual facts about something and they say, "Well, we need to do it anyway".
THAT is a fine example of the herd mentality. They don't have a clue why something is actually wrong, or even how/if the "fix" works... but they are told what to believe, they do, and then become Parrots for the fix-it squads.

It's a layer cake of ignorance with irrational icing. Mmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Maher used to be more critical towards both parties back in the day. He has mellowed and become more partisan over the years. He has embraced identity politics and hopped on team Obama in 2008.
Identity (ideology) politics (us vs, them) are what is dividing this nation.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:43 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Many people don't know anything about guns. For example: myself.
Its a tube and a hammer basically, and any machine shop can make one. The real tech behind it is the nitro cellulous which can be found in ping pong balls, or made with cotton and Nitric acid (made from ammonia via Ostwald reaction).

That why we who know know its the quality of the citizen that counts and why the only thing more dangeous than an atomic bomb is an ignorant liberal.

Reminds me of banning alcohol which I can make with air and Mulberry or maple trees. Yeah , tried to ban it too. Have to ban canned fruit in syrup and garbage bags too.

Of course once the under ground culture is created , it will never be suppressed anymore than a meth lab.

http://www.guns.com/2014/01/15/uk-cr...homemade-guns/

Banning does not work for long....cept for maybe tough immigration laws.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:48 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its a tube and a hammer basically, and any machine shop can make one. The real tech behind it is the nitro cellulous which can be found in ping pong balls, or made with cotton and Nitric acid (made from ammonia via Ostwald reaction).

That why we who know know its the quality of the citizen that counts and why the only thing more dangeous than an atomic bomb is an ignorant liberal.

Reminds me of banning alcohol which I can make with air and Mulberry or maple trees. Yeah , tried to ban it too. Have to ban canned fruit in syrup and garbage bags too.

Of course once the under ground culture is created , it will never be suppressed anymore than a meth lab.

UK: criminals still get guns even after bans

Banning does not work for long....cept for maybe tough immigration laws.

yeah. Interesting and good post. Thanks

Old 06-28-2016, 02:56 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was taught firearm safety when I was 7 years old. the lecture focused on all guns are loaded unless you have checked and never point the gun at something you could not afford or want to shoot. I spent the next few years sniping rats at a local dump. later on I learned how to shoot a handgun. I got good enough with a 1911 Colt semi auto to impress a Chief Gunner's Mate in 'Nam.

I still own a couple of guns and know how to store and shoot them. All children should be taught how to be around weapons and the difference between a water squirt gun and a real firearm. Ignorant people around guns is a recipe for disaster. All people should know how and when to use a gun. That would make all of us safer.
I grew up with guns all around me, they where seen as tools and not toys. They served there purposes and only their purposes and nothing else. I have never witness such a divide in thinking associated towards firearms or their usage until I moved to the USA. I remember when I first moved down here one of the constant topics brought up to me was my hunting and my firearms and this odd fascination towards them.

To me they are and always have been tools to use, but to others it's pretty apparent they are (and embody) much much more than a simple tool.

I couldn't begin to deseminate the layers of problems and issues revolving and regarding them here. It's not just a simple X vs Y situation.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:58 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,847 times
You can turn in your guns as soon as Hildog turns in her bodyguards' ones

Old 06-28-2016, 03:12 PM

29 posts, read 24,169 times
THE PROBLEM WITH LIBERALS BEING DUMB, that's different with, say, extreme right wingers being dumb, is Only liberals claim to be the very most, and best, educated. they KNOW EVERYTHING. ---AND no one else can have their own opinion. now, this is still a free country(a little) so a right winger has the right to be dumb, as much as a liberal does.

but LIBERALS WANT TO SHUT EVERYONE ELSE UP, AND GET RID OF THEM. EVERYONE!! even we independents!! liberals want facism, their way!!they want to bring back nazi-facist, no choice-dictatorship, and no free speech. no religion. no right wingers!!!

LIBERALS WANT THEIR OWN FACIST GOVT. --and country. no more choices!!!--only liberalism, mein herr!! yah!!NO FREEDOM OF CHOICE ANY MORE. ---and they'll try to do that; get rid of choice. get rid of opposite opinions. get rid of anyone else but them.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM

29 posts, read 24,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Whether you are going to keep the guns locked up is personal choice and has to be carefully considered whether you have kids or no kids. If you have kids their age, maturity and the circumstances of where you live are all considerations.

You taught your kids about sex presumably? It's the same thing with guns especially if they are in the household. It's not something you want them learning on the street or unprepared for. Just because you have them locked up doesn't mean they will never encounter one or someone with one. Knowledge is never a bad thing as long as it's age/maturity appropriate, it may just save their life or someone else's life.
(I am an old lady, with disabilities, and i live alone; no kids ever come here.i get burglarized here, they try, so i have my handgun in my drawer, easy to get out.I was burglarized years ago, was attacked, beaten, wound up in hospital. i vowed never to let it happen again. --they break in, i kill em. period.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies