Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:47 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,277,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Since thousands walk across the desert to get in, does that mean, according to your theory, that here is no front door?

Let me know if this is too confusing for you.

Death in the desert: The dangerous trek between Mexico and Arizona | Al Jazeera America
Sorry for the confusion, front door means through border checkpoints and airports. I thought that was clear....I guess not....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 12:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,183,899 times
Quote:
Since seat belts don't save everyone, are they a waste?
Since hospital emergency rooms don't save everyone, should we stop wasting money on them?

Those are dumb arguments. Seat belts and hospital emergency rooms belts save many lives every year.

You can't seem to differentiate between something that works but not 100% vs something that rarely works. Your twisted logic says that if something works 90% of the time, it is the same as something that works 10% of the time.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I disagree. While people (crooks) can break windows; it clearly shows they are crooks. There is no watering of terms like 'undocumented' workers - they are illegally in this Country once they broke that window or climbed that wall. It's symbolic; if nothing else. But, I do believe, that it will stop the hoards (the invasion). Most do not carry ladders on their backs as they cross the hot wastelands of our Southwest. Even if they did; they still have a long ways down from the other side. If there are areas that still have problems; maybe we could consider a double wall?
They don't need to carry ladders on their backs. The coyotes can just store them there close to the wall. Once they are over the wall, getting down would simply be a case of using the right gear.

Furthermore, the wall doesn't address immigrants crossing over via tunnels and by sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
As far as your parents property; I have nine neighbors (which includes one bad neighbor). I put up one two hundred and fifty foot log row on the bad neighbors side. He has not crossed over since I put up the log row and that is only five feet high. He can go around the ends of the row; but he would have to trespass through another neighbor's property and then he has two enemies. Fences are a deterrent. With your parents the fence says that this is mine and that is yours - even if they can simply open the gate.

That's because your neighbor isn't that determined in crossing over to your property. Just like those who are not that determined are already dissuaded by all the work one has to do to cross the border. Those who are crossing the border are determined people. They're not going to get stopped just by a wall.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:20 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,582,317 times
Overstaying can be reduced easily by holding Universities and Colleges responsible if a student doesn't attend the school on a daily base or at least 90% of the time.

No student visa should be given for online courses unless 80%-90% is in school education.

Many student visa holders never show up and only come here to overstay and get entry.

The remaining legal aliens who overstay is a minimum percentage but of course should be minimized as much as possible.

However unless the visa holder is from a corrupt country most legal aliens will have valid credentials that have been checked. The issue now is the refugees that don't have a passport and no proof who they are and Europe already admitted that after the fact they figured out that a very high percentage didn't even come from the country they claimed to come from.

That is scary!

The illegal who enter illegally will never be checked upon entering...

Old 06-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
So if the extra height to the white house wall isn't about security, but as you say, privacy, what happened to Obama's 'transparency'?

Damn, it's confusing to listen to liberals.

Obama's transparency is about government policy.

Where did you get the weird idea that "transparency" means you get to watch the First family up close and personal?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Anybody who argues that fence is about privacy has never actually seen it.

That fence is about security - keeping people out.

Of course part of the function of the fence is to keep people out - at least those people who aren't determined and don't care.

However, the fence is not a good tool to keep out determined intruders, that's why the Secret Service are there.

You guys consistently confuse those who are determined to cross the border with those who don't give a shift. The lazy, indifferent, don't care, whatever crowd are already dissuaded by the vast land and work you have to do to cross the border. The people who are crossing over are determined folks who worked hard to get to the border in the first place. A wall isn't enough to stop these people, just as the Secret Service knows the fence isn't enough to keep out someone with a sure determination to breach the White House.

If you say that the wall is meant to keep out indifferent crossers, that's redundant - they are already being kept out with or without the wall.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:35 PM

18,755 posts, read 18,005,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
They don't need to carry ladders on their backs. The coyotes can just store them there close to the wall. Once they are over the wall, getting down would simply be a case of using the right gear.

Furthermore, the wall doesn't address immigrants crossing over via tunnels and by sea.
Others have shown you the articles that stress that walls do work; no need to again post those links. All you have to do is click on the information provided. Most of these illegal immigrants do not have the "right gear" with them or access to the "gear". Besides, if you are talking about multiple walls; our agents can apprehend them in the process of crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
That's because your neighbor isn't that determined in crossing over to your property. Just like those who are not that determined are already dissuaded by all the work one has to do to cross the border. Those who are crossing the border are determined people. They're not going to get stopped just by a wall.
One five foot high log row is one good deterrent. If it falls; it can crush your bones. If you knock it over; you can still break a leg crossing. In the summertime yellow jackets like to build their nest in log rows or under them.

Of course somebody can take the time to remove the logs and then cross. But intruders are inherently lazy; regardless of what our press claims. Just look at the number of illegal immigrants that take advantage of our federal and state programs - that is not ambition! As far as my log row; it has worked for fifteen years. That neighbor used to stand on our property and treat it as his; now he doesn't and he even has a backhoe (if he really wanted to remove it). But he also knows that I could photograph him 'stealing' our wood - so it is working and effective!

Old 06-29-2016, 01:43 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,066,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Mark Suckerburg walls off his mansions, and now is walling off a huge piece of land in Hawaii.
I thought they didn't work.
Anti-Trump Open Borders Advocate Zuckerberg Buys Hawaii Property - Puts Up Wall

Maybe it's to protect all the Syrian refugees he has allowed to squat on his land.

Typical limousine liberal.

bill
Yeah building a wall nearly 2,000 miles with sections of very harsh terrain is equal to building a wall around a much smaller property.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,474,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Sorry for the confusion, front door means through border checkpoints and airports. I thought that was clear....I guess not....
If they can ALL come in the front door, why are so many not using it?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,277,238 times
Quote:
If they can ALL come in the front door, why are so many not using it?
A small percentage of illegals try crossing at random spots along the desert. You would have to ask those that do that why they didn't just go the easier route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies