Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Not sure what exactly will get you 10 years in prison in Arizona? Is it illegal to do background checks on others when doing a private party sale?
you cant be that dense can you? if you buy a gun, and give it to someone that IS NOT ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN, you can get ten years for that. if you buy a gun and sell it TO SOMEONE THAT IS NOT ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN, you can get ten years for that. its called a straw purchase and it is illegal, even if it is legal for you to buy the firearm in the first place. please think before you post.

Quote:
If the money is already there to enforce background checks, then the motivation should be there as well since it should be a requirement to enforce such laws. Law enforcement isn't meant to be a fun job that people pick and choose what they want to enforce based off what motivates them.
its not the LEO on the street that is the problem, its the upper management, and the DOJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 02:07 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you cant be that dense can you? if you buy a gun, and give it to someone that IS NOT ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN, you can get ten years for that. if you buy a gun and sell it TO SOMEONE THAT IS NOT ALLOWED TO OWN A GUN, you can get ten years for that. its called a straw purchase and it is illegal, even if it is legal for you to buy the firearm in the first place. please think before you post.

its not the LEO on the street that is the problem, its the upper management, and the DOJ.
And how does anyone know that gun was originally yours? Since guns aren't registered, there seems to be an issue with how to track someone sold a gun to someone who cannot own a gun.

Basically the only way to catch someone now would be through an undercover sting operation. Having a gun registration would make it easier to see who originally owned the gun that was in the hands of a criminal and do an investigation to see if the original owner broke the law.

I never said anything about LEOs on the street, I just said law enforcement, that included those in upper management. Sorry if that was confusing and I wasn't specific enough for you.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Well by that logic, we should register single white males seeing they tend to be the ones doing mass shootings....but lets be honest, that line of logic is ridiculous and unnecessary....also why I tend to ignore these idiotic gun threads.

And yet here you are....again.

Spouting idiotic, unconstitutional, gun grabber rhetoric.

Again.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
[/b]

And yet here you are....again.

Spouting idiotic, unconstitutional, gun grabber rhetoric.

Again.
And yet I have said nothing about "gun grabbing" since I think most gun bans are actually pointless and uncalled for. I have pointed out that anything in the Constitution can be changed, including the 2nd Amendment. Making changes to amendments isn't actually unconstitutional since the constitution allows changes. And the only thing idiotic here is these false claims you seem to be making.

If all you have is rude comments with no substance, then I won't bother commenting on your posts anymore.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:43 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
And yet I have said nothing about "gun grabbing" since I think most gun bans are actually pointless and uncalled for. I have pointed out that anything in the Constitution can be changed, including the 2nd Amendment. Making changes to amendments isn't actually unconstitutional since the constitution allows changes. And the only thing idiotic here is these false claims you seem to be making.

If all you have is rude comments with no substance, then I won't bother commenting on your posts anymore.
What purpose is served by registering guns?

What do you do about the millions of guns already owned by Americans that predate the registration or the millions more that predate the 4473 form requirements?

How do you keep Joe Shmoe from selling a 40 year old shotgun to a friend or a father from handing down a 22 to his son that his father handed down to him?

And more importantly.... why do you want to?

These are why private transfers are legal......not a "loophole".

Old 06-29-2016, 02:50 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:

The second amendment is settled law. Get over it.

Time to move on to something really important to you, like allowing cross dressing men pee in girls bathrooms.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
What purpose is served by registering guns?

What do you do about the millions of guns already owned by Americans that predate the registration or the millions more that predate the 4473 form requirements?

How do you keep Joe Shmoe from selling a 40 year old shotgun to a friend or a father from handing down a 22 to his son that his father handed down to him?

And more importantly.... why do you want to?

These are why private transfers are legal......not a "loophole".
There is absolutely nothing that can be done that would have a 100% instant effect. That doesn't mean something should be done. For the guns before registration, we offer a voluntary registration. For every gun transaction, registration of that gun would be mandatory. Eventually you get to the point where most guns are registered.

As for the 4473 form, no time like the present for actually start checking those, which requiring a background check for each gun transaction would solve the issue with 4473 forms that predate registration.

You can't keep anyone from giving a gun to another person without a background check. Though if registration existed, then that gun would still be registered to the original owner until the registration was changed on the gun. If a father gifted a gun to his son without changing the registration and didn't do a background check, that gun would still technically belong to the father and if it is ever used in a crime, he would be the one who could also go to jail for breaking the law. It would be in everyone's best interest to change the registration and do a background check on each gun transaction to remove themselves from any potential wrongdoing that could happen with the weapon in the future.

Why do I want to see gun registration? Accountability. Far too often people like to pretend they aren't held accountable for crimes that are committed because they didn't know. There are lots of things that can get you fined or sent to prison even if you claim you didn't know, this should be one of those things. This society has become extremely careless with weapons.

Even because something is currently legal, it can also be a loophole. Loophole doesn't mean something is illegal.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:13 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
I wonder how many years the court battles would last if they tried forced registration of guns? In my state, gun registration is against state law.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The second amendment is settled law. Get over it.

Time to move on to something really important to you, like allowing cross dressing men pee in girls bathrooms.
Prohibition was once settled law, our Constitution allows us to change any amendment. Get over it.

This forum site is an "entertainment site" not a site where I expect any real change to come from. If you don't like what I have to say, feel free to put me on ignore, it won't hurt my feelings.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I wonder how many years the court battles would last if they tried forced registration of guns? In my state, gun registration is against state law.
Did your state also once make gay marriage illegal? I will state this again, nothing would happen overnight and would require time for any change to actually happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies