Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:07 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
How in the world would you monitor private sales?

Many states already do it, after a fashion. In MI, where I grew up, you had to have a permit to purchase a handgun, full stop. If I was selling a handgun, as a private seller, it was my responsibility to fill out and keep "my" portion of the buyer's permit, that way I could demonstrate that I had sold the firearm and to whom I had sold it, if it were used in any sort of crime.

Not that tough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx
Good for her, that is the point of having a gun in the house to protect the family. Thankfully she and her children weren't arm.
Yes well SHE IS LUCKY he wasnt armed!!

Old 07-01-2016, 02:38 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Many states already do it, after a fashion. In MI, where I grew up, you had to have a permit to purchase a handgun, full stop. If I was selling a handgun, as a private seller, it was my responsibility to fill out and keep "my" portion of the buyer's permit, that way I could demonstrate that I had sold the firearm and to whom I had sold it, if it were used in any sort of crime.

Not that tough...
Yes, Washington State passed a law requiring a background check on ALL firearms transfers, even if you just LOAN a gun to somebody, a background check is required, and when he returns YOUR gun to you another background check is required.
Since the law was passed, have you any idea how many such background checks have been done? According to a gun collector that I know who lives there, NONE!
Have you any idea how many prosecutions there have been for not doing a background check on a gun transfer?
Again, NONE! In fact, many law enforcement personnel in Washington State say the the law is unenforceable, and they won't even bother to try to enforce it!
So, what has the law accomplished?
That one is easy: NOTHING!
IMO, a law that accomplishes nothing should not exist, it should be repealed.
However, that is exactly what most laws that are passed in the heat of emotion are: "We MUST do SOMETHING!" Even if it is wrong and useless, which such laws often are.
Yet, some people demand more of them.

EDIT: Now we know of TWO states that have such laws or rules. That hardly qualifies as "many"!

Old 07-01-2016, 08:37 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Registering weapons has nothing to do with being innocent or guilty. We register our vehicles, that doesn't mean we are all guilty of road crimes.
Yes when legislatures come out and say "We need to change registration to reduce firearms ownership" it isn't at all about controlling firearms or busting into a constitutional right. Having people pay $400 for a 3 year permit isn't at all restrictive. Having the only place you NEED to go back and forth to over and over again for ONE purchase open only Mon-Fri 8-4 making sure that you need to take a day off from work to buy a gun isn't at all about preventing people from getting a firearm.

Give me a break. And cars aren't an enumerated right, just a little ConLaw 101.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Yes when legislatures come out and say "We need to change registration to reduce firearms ownership" it isn't at all about controlling firearms or busting into a constitutional right. Having people pay $400 for a 3 year permit isn't at all restrictive. Having the only place you NEED to go back and forth to over and over again for ONE purchase open only Mon-Fri 8-4 making sure that you need to take a day off from work to buy a gun isn't at all about preventing people from getting a firearm.

Give me a break. And cars aren't an enumerated right, just a little ConLaw 101.
I didn't say any of that, nor would I support any of that. This is why I usually don't waste my time with this topic because it is often times pointless to try to have any sort of real conversation.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:24 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Gun access has little to do with crime. As I posted before, our sheriff encourages people to carry and many people do. Go into any business here and you will see several open-carry and I know there are more that conceal carry, like me and my wife. I cannot remember the last armed robbery here and we have had one murder in my county in the last seven years. I could easily buy 20 guns a day through private sales on Facebook. The majority want them for defense or hunting or target shooting

Old 07-02-2016, 08:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

Not that tough...

How many firearms were made and sold before a registry to know who bought what?
None of my firearms have any ID #'s. They never had them.

Take that back... The Barrett I recently bought from my wifes uncle, has a number....

Old 07-02-2016, 08:42 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How many firearms were made and sold before a registry to know who bought what?
None of my firearms have any ID #'s. They never had them.

Take that back... The Barrett I recently bought from my wifes uncle, has a number....

I'm not claiming it's a fool-proof solution, I'm simply answering the question I quoted. Nothing more.

If we don't require background checks, then we might as well do away with any legislation we have that determines who can and can't purchase a firearm.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:46 AM

DIY: Shovel AK - photo tsunami warning!

Old 07-02-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not claiming it's a fool-proof solution, I'm simply answering the question I quoted. Nothing more.

If we don't require background checks, then we might as well do away with any legislation we have that determines who can and can't purchase a firearm.

I believe the 2nd amendment clearly outlines who can keep & bear arms.
Back ground checks were not part of the deal.

It doesn't say, "the privilege of citizens, 21 years or older, who are mentally stable and non-felons".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies