Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 11:42 AM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

The problem here, is that you've set an arbitrary standard, based only on what you personally find to be most-important. And by your standards, every school in the country should have nothing but black teachers.

I'm not going to say that this doesn't happen more to black people. But, it isn't limited only to black people, trust me. Part of the issue could have been age, or it could have just been a confused teacher. It seems like most of your examples are you assuming something malicious without evidence.
Come on now. You're going to tell me what I actually experienced in my school?

Look, my school was 25% minority. Don't you think it's odd that before my principalship the rate of minority teachers in the school was approximately 1%...just 7 miles outside of D.C.? Don't you think I know the comments that were made better than you who don't even know which school I was at?

And no, I'm not saying every teacher should be Black. Don't be ridiculous. But when you hear principals talking about looking for good role models, do you think only Whites are good role models? Do you think Black kids ought to occasionally have a good role model that they can relate to? Don't you think it's odd that beginning with my principalship and continuing with my successor that we were able to find great Black teachers to make up 10% or more of the professional staff, but the principals before us could only find 1%? Do you think maybe that a lifelong Southern belle type woman who became principal who went to a university that once owned slaves, but then got liberal and only rented slaves might have been influenced by the White dominant culture at that college? A college that in the 1950s got significant grants from the KKK? A college whose president from 1960-1971 was a key player in Virginia's "massive resistance" official policy that literally shut down many public school systems in the state rather than desegregate, might have been influence by a certain kind of sentiment at that college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,911,671 times
The mindset of most people on here is that everything is equal and that blacks play the victim card. They need to get over it and stop playing victim..

Typical responses..

Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Look, my school was 25% minority. Don't you think it's odd that before my principalship the rate of minority teachers in the school was approximately 1%...just 7 miles outside of D.C.?
You said that your school should hire more minority teachers in a bid to help the struggling minorities bring up their test scores. That is basically a form of racism.

That doesn't mean that the other principal wasn't racist as well. And the truth is, we are all a little racist, even when we have good intentions.

In any case, I never understand why people care so much. You only have to care about what other people think, if you want to live with them.

I don't really care if the people in Zimbabwe are racist, because I don't live there, and I don't want to live there.

I don't understand why it's so important for black people to live near white people, and to want to force white people to accept them and like them. White people don't even like each other. They've been fighting and killing each other in Europe since forever. Around 60-80 million Europeans were killed by other Europeans over a period of like 30 years. And I seriously hope their little union fails(it is already crumbling).

Old 06-29-2016, 12:10 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
they do. act like a thug and you are going to be treated as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
The mindset of most people on here is that everything is equal and that blacks play the victim card. They need to get over it and stop playing victim..

Typical responses..

Old 06-29-2016, 12:11 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
its been passed down from generation to generation and its not going to help them unless
it stops. They need to stop blaming everyone else for their problems and start moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, where did that slave mentality come from? Ever asked that question?

Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,543,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, so have black Americans (picked ourselves up and turned things around). Based on what I stated above (not many whites know anything about real black Americans) you and others just may refuse to believe this. The so-called "victim mentality" is actually not a prevalent mindset amongst black Americans. If it were, we would never improve and in the past 50 years (only 50 years mind you, my mom is in her early 50s) there would not have been a nearly 180 degree turn around in poverty, crime, or educational achievement of black people if we had a widespread "victim mentality."

On the red, is it your contention that black people should just shut up and not highlight discrimination in the workplace, housing, or financial services then....

We have "survived" in part due to highlighting all of the above and would not have survived had we just shut up and let ourselves be terrorized and financially ruined by discriminatory practices. Taking a stand and being a voice of reason is a huge aspect of black culture in America. Without us and our big mouths and our "agitations" in regards to discrimination, America would never have lived up to its so-called label as the "land of the free."
Another misinterpretation regarding what I wrote-I am saying that if we are trying to believe that it will be fair or just we are setting ourselves up to be upset, and that cannot be good for us mentally or emotionally. When and if does happen we can be surprised or grateful and maintain our glimmer of hope for continued justice, but I would not set myself up being optimistic when you know the histories of these institutions you speak about.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But when you are the most looked down on segment of society, the most hated, there is a problem.
'
Then whose problem is it really??

Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
its been passed down from generation to generation and its not going to help them unless
it stops. They need to stop blaming everyone else for their problems and start moving forward.
Sounds like white guilt to me! I have what I need and want for now in life and helping others to get what they need or want. The many generations before me taught me what to do, and so I had to carry the torch and pass it on to my children and they too will continue to pass it on. The gift of resiliency is powerful!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
they do. act like a thug and you are going to be treated as one.
Is that all you have? WOW!! Further explanation needed here!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, I have no doubt that race plays a role in hiring, but it honestly goes both ways. Historically-black schools tend to hire black teachers, because they can better-relate to the black students. I mean, I'm part Native-American, and I even cringe at all the white teachers at the schools that are predominantly Native-American.

The problem here, is that you've set an arbitrary standard, based only on what you personally find to be most-important. And by your standards, every school in the country should have nothing but black teachers.

I'm not going to say that this doesn't happen more to black people. But, it isn't limited only to black people, trust me. Part of the issue could have been age, or it could have just been a confused teacher. It seems like most of your examples are you assuming something malicious without evidence.
Absolutely not. More white teachers are in urban school districts. HBCUs are very diverse.

They sincerely need more black teachers, especially males and there are many programs out there for minority male teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies