Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 04:59 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why would anyone care about that anyway?

If a white guy gets an Asian girl, why should he care what Asian guys think. I dated Asian girls in college and in high school...I never even entertained the thought that Asian guys might be upset. That's their problem.

I understand what you're getting at, but it's kinda unnecessary.
FWIW it seems like I'm seeing less of this today than I did a few years ago (and I have a Vietnamese sister-in-law and Filipino relatives). Not sure if it means anything, whatever the reason seems to be getting a bit less common.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
I'm not Asian...Im mixed...black African and white American. but I "moved back" too, and I'm hardly the first. Lots of first generation Africans move back or are in and out of the continent frequently.

This being 2016, it's not like you have to be stuck in one place for long lengths if time.

Well, personally, beyond a better sense of belonging..and a duty to the place that raised me...economic opportunities are better in Africa. I mean, in Africa, the GDP grows like 8% on average...whereas in America the GDP growth is...what, 2%?
Also, well...lets be honest. Africas problems need to be solved by those who understand Africa. There's more work to be done here. In the US "everything has been done".

And the American mindset gets to me. People are, like, mean..or too involved in their own life to care for others. I was really lonely in the US.

Plus American dominance doesn't need my help. It's both natural and societally healthy for American dominance to die. I want a new world order.

Add in a nice house, old friends, good food, nice music...and I don't understand why people would want to stay in the States. I only go to visit and sight see, and to make boatloads of cash via trade.

Just a different perspective
Very interesting, thanks for your perspective. I didn't know about the growth rates there, 8%, that's incredible! Is this continent-wide or does it vary a lot from region to region?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:04 PM

On a side note, I've heard a huge number of Chinese immigrants are also going to Africa to work (it's apparently one of the most popular destinations), many I guess in mining or agriculture but more and more in professional fields and high-tech. With growth rates like that, sounds like they have good reason to seek their fortunes there.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I don't think this is true. Asian men and black American men both have negative/positive stereotypes.

Like the previous poster mentioned too often in this country Asian American men are de-masculated in a sense, they are referred to as having smaller members and of being feminized or geeky and shy (FWIW, I did date an Asian American once and he was none of those things so I know they are not based in reality, IMO most stereotypes are not based on truths unlike people seem to think they are).

On the flip side, Asian American men are portrayed in film and media as evil dudes (communist leaders out to kill everyone, kung fu proficient killers, or some evil magician sort of guy) and thieves out to bootleg and steal everyone's secrets and ideas and take all our jobs away (i.e. Chinese) and these are pervasive negartives associated with them both this paragraph and the latter.

Black men, as we all know, are portrayed as criminals and uneducated, however, black men are fetishized for being "larger" and women buy into these characterizations and lust after black men for it. Black men are also thought to be "cool" and the embodiment of what is in style. They are seen as physically strong and athletic.

So both Asian American and black American men have negative stereotypes and positive stereotypes.

And FWIW marriage trends are reversing for Asian American women, more of them are now marrying Asian American men, personally I believe it has to do with the nasty fetishes that many white American men place on Asian American women. You'd be shocked at some of the stuff my Asian American female friends and co-workers have told me has happened to them or been commented to them about. Some don't even really actively participate in social media because they are frequently messaged out of the blue with propositions of sex or d**k pics by random, nasty men.
Sorry took so long to respond been very busy, but this is a great post, really lays out the fine points about how different minority groups are perceived. And yes I totally agree with your last paragraph, I've very much been seeing this too.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:57 PM

39 posts, read 18,090 times
Delurking here to pipe in with me and my girlfriend's own experiences with this. I'm a Chinese-American and my gf is Indian-American, both of us US born but I guess you could say we started gradually moving out of the states around time the great recession hit, first to Hong Kong & since then a succession of cities in Chinese mainland.

I'm on a tight schedule so I gotta break my answer down into a few posts, but long and short is, we moved to Asia, now permanently for what were originally just job and economic reasons. I'm a research scientist, and partly because of cultural differences and Chinese policy to become a world tech leader, this is one of the golden jobs in China. I have much more prestige and higher salary in China, surprisingly, more freedom too with lower living costs than in US, where even with my doctorate and great experience the jobs were low paying and not at all prestigious. So even without the great recession in the US, China is just a better place to do science. You do have to demonstrate your skills and publish a lot in Mandarin, but they do a good job of getting you up to speed even if you don't have Chinese roots, my gf for example is working in a related field and got fluent in Mandarin after a couple years, also much better compensated than back in the US.

The short of it is, we're tying the knot and staying to raise our kids here, and if you're wondering, no they don't have the one-child policy anymore. Yeah it was a surprise to my parents for a while let alone hers, but they're realizing how much the country and region have changed since they left years ago.

And as far as the healthcare which looks like a lotta yall have been talking about, my take on it is, all the worries and problems of US healthcare at first weren't a factor for us at all in leaving. It was just the job prospects. But the healthcare scamming and Americans going flat broke from medical bills, yeah that is one of the reasons we've decided not to come back. I wouldn't say it's a major factor, but it figures in. We've known too many peeps back in the states who lost their shirts from a dumb medical bill, nobody went totally bankrupt that I know of but people who worked very hard a lotta years and saved up a lotta money to do things like start a business or buy a house, then got scrwed by some BS clinic bill or getting pregnant and lost what they'd saved up. My gf and I have worked our butts off for 10 years to save up our money to live well, so why would we put that at risk by all the random BS that's always happening at US hospitals and billing if you get sick or injured? Don't get me wrong China's medical system has its probs and people sometimes run into financial stress here, it's not as good like what they got in Europe, but it's not the lunatic system like in the US either. Gotta run but that's the meat of it.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoJeff View Post
Delurking here to pipe in with me and my girlfriend's own experiences with this. I'm a Chinese-American and my gf is Indian-American, both of us US born but I guess you could say we started gradually moving out of the states around time the great recession hit, first to Hong Kong & since then a succession of cities in Chinese mainland.

I'm on a tight schedule so I gotta break my answer down into a few posts, but long and short is, we moved to Asia, now permanently for what were originally just job and economic reasons. I'm a research scientist, and partly because of cultural differences and Chinese policy to become a world tech leader, this is one of the golden jobs in China. I have much more prestige and higher salary in China, surprisingly, more freedom too with lower living costs than in US, where even with my doctorate and great experience the jobs were low paying and not at all prestigious. So even without the great recession in the US, China is just a better place to do science. You do have to demonstrate your skills and publish a lot in Mandarin, but they do a good job of getting you up to speed even if you don't have Chinese roots, my gf for example is working in a related field and got fluent in Mandarin after a couple years, also much better compensated than back in the US.

The short of it is, we're tying the knot and staying to raise our kids here, and if you're wondering, no they don't have the one-child policy anymore. Yeah it was a surprise to my parents for a while let alone hers, but they're realizing how much the country and region have changed since they left years ago.

And as far as the healthcare which looks like a lotta yall have been talking about, my take on it is, all the worries and problems of US healthcare at first weren't a factor for us at all in leaving. It was just the job prospects. But the healthcare scamming and Americans going flat broke from medical bills, yeah that is one of the reasons we've decided not to come back. I wouldn't say it's a major factor, but it figures in. We've known too many peeps back in the states who lost their shirts from a dumb medical bill, nobody went totally bankrupt that I know of but people who worked very hard a lotta years and saved up a lotta money to do things like start a business or buy a house, then got scrwed by some BS clinic bill or getting pregnant and lost what they'd saved up. My gf and I have worked our butts off for 10 years to save up our money to live well, so why would we put that at risk by all the random BS that's always happening at US hospitals and billing if you get sick or injured? Don't get me wrong China's medical system has its probs and people sometimes run into financial stress here, it's not as good like what they got in Europe, but it's not the lunatic system like in the US either. Gotta run but that's the meat of it.
You ain't a "regular" Chinese person; you're an American who has a strong education AND you stepped up and learned the main Chinese language. From what you said; your wife is the same way as you.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:33 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Maybe the Asians are deserting the sinking ship.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:10 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
And FWIW marriage trends are reversing for Asian American women, more of them are now marrying Asian American men, personally I believe it has to do with the nasty fetishes that many white American men place on Asian American women. You'd be shocked at some of the stuff my Asian American female friends and co-workers have told me has happened to them or been commented to them about. Some don't even really actively participate in social media because they are frequently messaged out of the blue with propositions of sex or d**k pics by random, nasty men.
I'd be shocked if there was any truth to your insinuation that white American men are more prone to "nasty fetishes" than Asian men. If Asian American women are more likely to than before to marry other Asians, this is almost certainly due to there being larger, more coherent Asian communities and more Asian men in America to choose from now. This is the normal pattern as minority groups increase in size and societies become more multi-ethnic. When a group comprises a very small percentage of the population people integrate with the majority and marry out. But this becomes less and less common as their numbers increase.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:13 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
And yes I totally agree with your last paragraph, I've very much been seeing this too.
Oh really? Do tell.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaoJeff View Post

Thanks for your thoughts, sorry I'm in a bit of a hurry too and can't respond at length, but wondering when you say the pay rates for your job are higher in China than the US, do you mean relative to cost of living or higher overall? As a general average for example, for a city that would have the sorts of jobs you'd work in the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies