Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM

47 posts, read 23,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinayTamara View Post
Your second point so true among Filipino community too, those of us with higher level degrees and professional education get treated like royalty back home in PI, and to an extent also in rest of Asia, whereas seems like a lot of times they're ignored, or even resented in America itself. It's like in America the companies are always trying to push wages lower and lower and lower, and since someone with high achievement and education would generally command a higher salary, the business model in North America and Britain these days has no place for them. I hear same thing about Filipinos with degrees form U. Toronto in Canada, or top universities in Britain, little respect in those countries since the trend is to push wages lower and lower, whereas get treated with so much respect in Asia where they prized. Weird irony, it's like the mind-set of US companies and countries like Britain and Canada that follow US model, is to degrade the value of workers as much as they can, so they lose their best people. Germany is the opposite, free university there and they work hard to retain people who train. And Asia and PI obviously like that too, they prize talent.
Plus even Brazil and Argentina are starting to do this big recruitment of international talent, not many Pinoys used to go there but more and more we are coming to the cities in those countries because they value professionals and skilled people, especially are nurses. And we get paid what the natives do, so there isn't down pressure on wages either.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:05 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinayTamara View Post
Plus even Brazil and Argentina are starting to do this big recruitment of international talent, not many Pinoys used to go there but more and more we are coming to the cities in those countries because they value professionals and skilled people, especially are nurses. And we get paid what the natives do, so there isn't down pressure on wages either.
I know they have tons of Chinese and Japanese down there, also IIRc a lot of Koreans also in countries like Colombia. Read something about how one of the big cities in Brazil, has like the largest Japanese population in the world outside Japan, and a larger population even than many big Japanese cities!

Old 04-22-2017, 12:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Most Asians in the US are all trying to cram into California, NYC, or the coast of Virginia which is the highest cost of living areas.

If you want to live and survive you have to do what every other color of people in the US does that can't afford it..move to a lower cost of living area. What you're observing is a California cost of living problem, not a US problem.

You can't say you can't survive in the US if the only city you're looking at is San Fran. You don't get some sort of special cost of living adjustment just because you want to live in the only part of the US that has a climate like your home country. Everyone wants to live in that type of climate thus it's the most populated state in the country.
That's why the narrative that Asians are the highest paid minority group in this country is totally false.

Asians are nearly 100% urban or suburban, which explains their high average salaries. When their salaries are broken down by the high COL where they live, the picture tells a different story.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:57 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm going with if you work for or want to work for an American company overseas, you may have an advantage (promotion wise) if you already speak the language. American business is booming in China, for example, so I would think if you speak Mandarin or Cantonese, you have a leg up with an American company. Since American public schools don't teach those languages, I'm thinking the biggest talent pool comes from Chinese Americans, in my example.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
I know they have tons of Chinese and Japanese down there, also IIRc a lot of Koreans also in countries like Colombia. Read something about how one of the big cities in Brazil, has like the largest Japanese population in the world outside Japan, and a larger population even than many big Japanese cities!
That'd be Sao Paulo

Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Most Asians in the US are all trying to cram into California, NYC, or the coast of Virginia which is the highest cost of living areas.

If you want to live and survive you have to do what every other color of people in the US does that can't afford it..move to a lower cost of living area. What you're observing is a California cost of living problem, not a US problem.

You can't say you can't survive in the US if the only city you're looking at is San Fran. You don't get some sort of special cost of living adjustment just because you want to live in the only part of the US that has a climate like your home country. Everyone wants to live in that type of climate thus it's the most populated state in the country.
Many parts of the south has enormous similarities with many east asian climates. If you really look at so much of the vegetation it has an enormous similarities with parts of east asia. So many of the hardy fruits and vegetables, trees , obviously stuff like kudzu and camellias but so much of my garden is stuff you see in east asia , yuzu lemons,hardy kiwi, asian pears etc. So much of the vegetation of the south has roots in Asia. Asians are the fastest growing group in the south as well, sometime close to 80-100% increase

Old 04-26-2017, 03:52 PM

1,094 posts, read 498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Many parts of the south has enormous similarities with many east asian climates. If you really look at so much of the vegetation it has an enormous similarities with parts of east asia. So many of the hardy fruits and vegetables, trees , obviously stuff like kudzu and camellias but so much of my garden is stuff you see in east asia , yuzu lemons,hardy kiwi, asian pears etc. So much of the vegetation of the south has roots in Asia. Asians are the fastest growing group in the south as well, sometime close to 80-100% increase
True, certainly down in Texas where I saw this a lot, in fact it was a tide of anecdotes of some of the Asian-Americans I knew down in Texas returning to Asia that first got me interested in this topic some years ago. Atlanta has a sizable population too far as I know.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:45 PM

47 posts, read 23,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Yes the Fil-Ams in the food industry say this a lot, some of us got agricultural plots down in Florida and Louisiana for this reason, we can grow many of the crops we are accustomed to in the tropical climates of PI. This also maybe why so many Filipinos today are immigrating to Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, north Argentina, Panama, Nicaragua and even Venezuela and Ecuador. Part of the new immigrant wave to Latin America is for the health industry, nurses and home workers like so many other countries, but in those countries a big attraction is the ag sector. The tropical climate in that part South America and central America is a lot like Philippines, and there is so much rich agricultural land that we don't have back home in PI that draws more and more of us there.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:09 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's why the narrative that Asians are the highest paid minority group in this country is totally false.

Asians are nearly 100% urban or suburban, which explains their high average salaries. When their salaries are broken down by the high COL where they live, the picture tells a different story.
Housing isnt a cost. Its an investment. "Breaking things down by COL" is just a way for working stiffs to accept crappy pay and benefits because housing is cheap.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

It's not false, there is just more going on, also nothing wrong with being a mostly urban group. Jews are famously more urban than rural. They too earn high average incomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies