Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:01 PM

11,989 posts, read 5,243,014 times

Advertisements

Attached is an article from Brookings on the browning of America overall and in selected states.

Nationally, the group over aged 55 is 75% N/H white.

Those age 35 to 54 = 61.5%
Millennials (18-34)= 55.8%
Post-Millennials (under 18)= 51.5%

When you look at Millennials on a state by state basis, minorities (including Hispanics) account for over 50% of all millennials in the following 10 states: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico and Texas.

When you look at the post-Millennials, those under 18, half of more of all children are minority in all 10 of the aforementioned states, plus in three more: Alaska, Mississippi and New York.

Diversity defines the millennial generation | Brookings Institution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:04 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,502,043 times
It's a good thing native born millenials can afford to support all the welfare seekers entering the US.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:06 PM

26,202 posts, read 14,824,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Attached is an article from Brookings on the browning of America overall and in selected states.

When you look at Millennials on a state by state basis, minorities (including Hispanics) account for over 50% of all millennials in the following 10 states: Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico and Texas.

When you look at the post-Millennials, those under 18, half of more of all children are minority in all 10 of the aforementioned states, plus in three more: Alaska, Mississippi and New York.

Look at the US Census too.

1950 US Census was 87% white. They are saying that by the 2050 census it might be 47% white.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,754,598 times
Demographic changes occur in every society over time. The issue is more one of how fast that change occurs and whether the emerging populations quickly assimilate or are otherwise culturally compatible with the established generation. What I see happening in the US presently is that the need to assimilate is being downplayed and in the case of at least the Arab and African Muslim immigrants they are not culturally compatible. This does not bode well for the long term stability of the country.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:11 PM

20,225 posts, read 19,787,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It's a good thing native born millenials can afford to support all the welfare seekers entering the US.
As long as they continue to pay into the SS system and help fund my and my wife's golden years, they throw the rest of their cash at anything they want.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:38 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,653,647 times
The reality is likely going to be more complex than these numbers suggest. For example, and I realize this is anecdotal, but I teach many, many students who similarly defy easy demographic categorization, my Chinese-American fiance has two adult children with a white ex-wife. Recently, his daughter married a red-headed Irish boy whose father is Lebanese. Her brother is in love with and will likely marry a Japanese young woman who currently lives in Japan. Their children, if they have them, will clearly have a difficult time ticking off one box in particular.

This trend is one that I've seen growing and expect to continue to see grow. And I don't care a bit. The borders of countries are geopolitical constructions more than anything else; demographics have been changing all over the world since the proverbial *dawn of time.*

Old 06-30-2016, 12:53 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,686,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

This has been pointed out in a number of different places and it underscores one simple fact: White people in the USA aren't making babies while Hispanics and others are. Yeah sure, some of it is from immigration. But most of it is due to whites having smaller and smaller families.

It's an interesting thing. We're frequently told, "Have less babies! The world can't take it anymore!" And yet it is birth-rate that will determine which demographics will ultimately become the majority in all democratic. Thus having the highest birth rate means you're taking over. Low birth rate majorities are quite stupidly and willingly handing over control.

Funny how that works, isn't it?

Old 06-30-2016, 01:22 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,221,355 times
In 1965--in a total overthrow of our excellent immigration laws-- our glorious Washington leaders decided to import millions upon millions of unskilled, extremely poor, highly religious (and therefore heavily-breeding), people from our poor neighbors to the north. This "peaceful invasion" sent crime, welfare, education, and crimininal justice costs soaring, and didn't contribute to the economy--unless you think swamping out the value of labor is "contributing to the economy." Even the value of skilled labor was destroyed by the influx of unskilled people desperate for jobs, and the outsourcing of manufacturing overseas. The American working class was wiped out.

Now we've lost America's work ethic, single motherhood is the norm (and the taxpayer pays the tab), few people work and half the population is so bored they take drugs and allow Big Government to go on a power-grab using an "opiate epidemic" as an excuse! What little taxes Social Security grabs from unskilled part-timers isn't going to pay for the Baby Boom, who rightfully expect retirement money after giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to Washington--TWICE (and the till is STILL empty after Washington couldn't put aside a dime).

Old 06-30-2016, 02:26 AM

30,542 posts, read 21,703,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
The reality is likely going to be more complex than thesas ie numbers suggest. For example, and I realize this is anecdotal, but I teach many, many studentas ns who similarly defy easy demographic categorization, my Chinese-American fiance has two adult children with a white ex-wife. Recently, his daughter married a red-headed Irish boy whose father is Lebanese. Her brother is in love with and will likely marry a Japanese young woman who currently lives in Japan. Their children, if they have them, will clearly have a difficult time ticking off one box in particular.

This trend is one that I've seen growing and expect to continue to see grow. And I don't care a bit. The borders of countries are geopolitical constructions more than anything else; demographics have been changing all over the world since the proverbial *dawn of time.*
Touche' my family has had an Anglo/mex mix for 4 generations, and more recently Thai and Philippino Additions. Dont see any downside unless the people dont see themselves as American.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:03 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,085,786 times
So what's the point of this thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies