Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let me ask you this, do you think Obama should be bombing people over there?
I think a better question is do republicans think we should.

Wait a minute what day is it? Did Agent Orange say he's gonna bomb the hell out of them today?

Seriously, Obama is doing his best to not bomb 'people' (Agent Orange disagrees, saying ISIS and their families should all be killed). Obama's trying to target ISIS with the fewest civilian casualties possible.

Someone asked earlier why ISIS is 'allowed' to have parades, etc. Why don't we kill them then? Because they are parading amongst a city full of civilians. But, whatever.

I am, of course, against war of any kind unless it is absolutely necessary. Especially war in the Middle East, which, in my opinion was NOT AT ALL necessary. It seemed I was one of the very, very few who was totally against the US entering Iraq in 2001, and I was very depressed that Bush went ahead and did it. I KNEW all this crap was going to happen. Anyone who lived through the Vietnam years probably did, too.

I suppose there are secrets, hidden agendas, and undercover motivations for us to be there. Neither you nor I will ever really know the truth. If anyone is to blame, I guess it would be mainly the British (and other allies) who carved up the Middle East after WWII with absolutely NO knowledge of the culture, different sects of Islam, or anything else about the area.

I believe that both of us would hate any country or people who invaded our country, bombed our cities, and destroyed our government. We are just lucky we were born in a superpower country. Actually, I'm not sure if that's lucky or not. Many times, out of frustration, I wished I'd have been born in some small, unassuming country that didn't have to be the world's police.

Well! That's a lot more than I really wanted to say!

I did my part in the 60s protesting the Vietnam war. If you don't like our involvement in the Middle East, you, too can start protesting. It's a proven method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I think a better question is do republicans think we should.
So, you won't answer the question?

I understand that it could put you in quite the awkward position of wanting to demonize Republicans for war in the ME while supporting someone who is continuing that war and dropping bombs on people who are not directly threatening us. Additionally, you are probably going to vote for Hilary, and she voted for war and will continue to drop bombs in the ME.

Yes, we know why you won't really answe the question.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
How does one declare war against a band of "terrorists"? That is the equivalent of declaring war on drug users...silly is it not? There is no "Terrorist Nation". And how would one prove that this fictional "Terrorist Nation" has initiated force against us to justify this declaration? A lunatic idiot who blows himself up is hardly an "army" of a "foreign nation". This is really a police matter more than any imaginary war.

Even if you consider the terrorists as a group, like say the crips. You could if they were on our soil retaliate against members committing crimes justifiably. However, you couldn't just murder every member of the crips indiscriminately without evidence that every member was indeed initiating potentially deadly force upon people. I mean such a "crusade" might just be explained as a mass murder of everyone who identified themselves as a crip or was identified as having sympathies for or agreements with the crips. Brownshirts anyone?

Obviously invading and bombing any number of sovereign nations states abroad arbitrarily striking "suspected" or known members, affiliates, or sympathizers of the "crips" is beyond ridiculous and immoral. Unilaterally decreeing that we can kill anyone anywhere that we deem may be someone that we don't agree with or like.

The seeds we are sowing with this nonsense are going to bear very bitter fruit for a long long long time.
We did against the Barbary pirates, also not a nation state.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
So, you won't answer the question?

I understand that it could put you in quite the awkward position of wanting to demonize Republicans for war in the ME while supporting someone who is continuing that war and dropping bombs on people who are not directly threatening us. Additionally, you are probably going to vote for Hilary, and she voted for war and will continue to drop bombs in the ME.

Yes, we know why you won't really answe the question.
If you actually read my post, you would see that I did answer your question. Too many words???

We should get out of the Middle East. I'm not being put into any awkward situation at all.

You didn't read my post...nothing I can do about that. Not reading it, though, does give you the opportunity to say negative things about me. Seems that's all your reply was.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
We killed 250?

That means we MIGHT have killed 25 (if we're lucky).

I quit believing this crap years ago. You should too.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this, do you think Obama should be bombing people over there?
Hell no.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Here they are getting bombed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwSQXS4zgg

Old 06-30-2016, 02:07 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nothing to do with Muslims.

Nothing to do with democracy.

All to do with the petrodollar, the toll paid to the US on OPEC oil trade.

Saudi Arabia is not a democracy and there are no human rights outside the vast royal family and those directly connected to it. Nonetheless, Saudi has been a US ally for 70+ years. Saudi is the glue that holds the petrodollar together.

Imagine if the standard for oil trade was the Ruble. The USD would need to be converted to Ruples to pay for oil. Imagine what this would do for the value of the USD. Imagine the impact on your lifestyle.

Iraq decided to go off the petrodollar and in doing so acquired a target on their back awaiting an opportunity for the US to invade and take Saddam out. The fabricated story of chemical weapons on the heels of 9/11 created the opportunity.

What was sold as a short term situation eventually cost the US $ 6 Trillion when interest on debt and veteran benefits are factored in. The Bush Admin and Iraq agreed to a withdrawal of troops. The Obama Admin honored that agreement.

There is no shortage of people who seem to believe that the agreement should not have been honored and the US should have remained, against the wishes of Iraq.

The US spent years and $ billions training the Iraqi military. When the bad guys came, the military shed its uniforms and went into hiding or joined the enemy.

Nothing to do with democracy and all to do with preserving US imperialism and lifestyle.

Politians and war lords have used religion as a tool to control the masses, since forever. What better way to motivate the masses to do your bidding than persuade them it's God's will.
A few points:

1) Of course Islam is involved. Yes, oil is involved, we would have no reason to be screwing around over there if there wasn't oil (which is why we are mostly not in Africa). But to say that Islam is not involved with terrorist acts is ridiculous.

2) The Muslims have been attacking non-Muslims since Big Mo dreamed up his get-rich-and-powerful scheme. One of our first foreign military actions was against the Barbary Muslims.

3) The people who say that we shouldn't fight over oil are incredibly naive. After water, oil is the second most legitimate resource to fight over. Our civilization comes to an end without oil. Oil is absolutely worth fighting and killing for.

The problem is that is not solely what we do. We pretend like we care about democracy, and some of the dumber neo-cons might actually believe that. So we end up wasting blood and treasure when all we had to do from the beginning was use the military to secure our national interests. The problem is the fact that we nation-build, not necessarily that we use military force to protect our national interests.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:13 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
U.S.-led coalition aircraft waged a series of deadly strikes against Islamic State around the city of Falluja on Wednesday, U.S. officials told Reuters
Sorry, but I don't believe it.
All credibility is lost.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:52 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
So that will easily make 500 more join the ranks of those who will hate the U.S.
You can't kill all the terrorists but you can kill the reason they want to become terrorists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies