Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 08:36 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I understand Toyota is getting in the Tank business. Hope they open a plant here in Texas.
Dude if I'm going to buy a tank it's going to be from Ford. This is America.

Actually I wouldn't be opposed to owning a tank if I could take it out on the road and stick a license plate on it. I would love if someone tried to give me road rage then, I'll be the queen of the roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Yes, I revised. My point still remains. Automatic weapons. Clearly when shooters can get them they want them as seen in Paris and Belgium. But its rarer to see mass shootings with automatic weapons because there is a higher degree of regulation attached to obtaining them.

So my point still stands.

Increased regulation or banning WILL make it harder for criminals to get guns.

There are 270 million guns in America.

So unless you plan on confiscation of those 270 million weapons (something the gun grabbers keep saying they don't want) increased regulations or bans will have very little effect on a criminals ability to obtain a weapon.

On top of that, the most commonly used type of gun used by criminals are cheap "Saturday night special" type of handguns, something that you never hear anti gun activists railing against because it doesn't grab the headlines like going after "assault weapons".

Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
reading idiotic strawman posts like this definitely have me agreeing with Bill Maher

you talking about guns is like the Pope taking about vaginas

LMAO!!! Amen brother.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Exactly. And why are all the other kinds of guns still around? Because they've been legal and less regulated all this time so a surplus in the public realm has been allowed to build up.

So of course, gun violence is not going to stop until these guns age, breakdown and slowly naturally decrease in numbers once banned or more regulated. But if you never ban or more regulate them, the supply will never dry up.

Notice, as you admitted, the civilian supply of more regulated guns is very low and their use low. And that's due to a long history of being more regulated than other weaponry.

Your theory might work if we didn't have CNC machines, Bridgeports, Lathes, Welders, 3d printing etc. Face it, the ban ship has sailed 50+ years ago. Hell, if you drive a modern vehicle, chances are you have several "projectile launchers" riding around with you. It's called a seat belt pre-tensioner and it even has the shape of a gun. So again, a ban is nothing more than a feel good Band-Aid. Nothing more.
You do remember a incident in a high school in Columbine right ? That happened while there was a so called "assault weapon" ban....

Old 06-30-2016, 08:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
No, you proved my point. It's harder to get a machine gun which is the whole point of increased regulation.

Duh.
I didn't know you have a point.

Yes, banning all guns would reduce gun violence.

And?

Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
BS!!! If you think that criminals are going to respect gun bans then you are about as ignorant as they come..
The whole point of this thread is to address that assertion. Yes, they will respect gun bans because, for the most part, they will have no choice. Just like they have little choice about accepting less access to more regulated guns like fully automatic machine guns. Because they are more regulated, it's harder for mass killers to access them even though they want to use them when they can get them, as seen in Paris and Belgium.

But because of stronger regulation, it's more difficult to access fully automatic guns.

Now don't pretend I didn't just walk you through that.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:43 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Fertilizers used for bombings is quite common. There should be a ban on fertilizers.
Quite common, huh?

And guess what, the next time a McVeigh comes along fertilizer won't be easy to access. And guess what else? Not everyone needs access, so it would be easy to control who gets it.

But of course, everyone needs an AR 15 for "home defense"

Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
But high regulation apparently does. What about fully automatic machine guns? They are very rare in mass shootings.
Honestly, there would probably be less casualties at these mass shootings if the murdering thugs used a rifle in full auto. Since you know absolutely nothing about guns or shooting, you will never be able to wrap your noodle around it, but any avid shooter or military person will know this.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I didn't know you have a point.

Yes, banning all guns would reduce gun violence.

And?
There's no "and".

That's all I wanted to hear.

My work is done. This house is cleaaar. :

Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Honestly, there would probably be less casualties at these mass shootings if the murdering thugs used a rifle in full auto. Since you know absolutely nothing about guns or shooting, you will never be able to wrap your noodle around it, but any avid shooter or military person will know this.
Right. And that's why the terrorists in Paris and Belgium chose automatic weapons when they could get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies