Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wow, they get you coming and going.

In Texas we have high property taxes, sales tax and toll roads, but no state income tax. Also, our highest bridge toll in the Houston area is $2 to get over the ship channel at Beltway 8.

$16 to drive over a bridge? I hope they get you breakfast the next morning.

Personally, I prefer toll roads since everyone who uses it pays for the actual use.
Thankfully I have never lived in NJ and never would. for more reasons than taxes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 08:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wow, they get you coming and going.

In Texas we have high property taxes, sales tax and toll roads, but no state income tax. Also, our highest bridge toll in the Houston area is $2 to get over the ship channel at Beltway 8.

$16 to drive over a bridge? I hope they get you breakfast the next morning.

Personally, I prefer toll roads since everyone who uses it pays for the actual use.
George Washington Bridge I think is $14 but the Verrazzano is $16 and it's the only way from Staten Island to other boroughs in NYC. All the tunnels from Jersey to NYC are $14.

You'd think there wouldn't be horrible traffic 24/7 with those prices. I'd like to see the accounting behind it, really.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
When I lived in NJ I used to commute to NYC by train. The train system was quite good and cheaper and faster than driving in. It usually though was not at 100 percent capacity. Yet amazingly enough there were many who would drive into NYC rather than use the train. Of course, when we had a large snowfall all those drivers would then take the train which pushed it over-capacity. I would have two or three trains not stop at my station due to being full. I was actually glad when prices went up on the GWB and the tunnels in the hope that more people would use NT Transit so more trains could be added.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
George Washington Bridge I think is $14 but the Verrazzano is $16 and it's the only way from Staten Island to other boroughs in NYC. All the tunnels from Jersey to NYC are $14.

You'd think there wouldn't be horrible traffic 24/7 with those prices. I'd like to see the accounting behind it, really.
Is that how the elite try to keep the poor out of the suburbs?

Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

the GWB was $4 one way (into NYC) in the mid to late 90's. now its $14. that's a heck of an inflation jump

ETA: actually, it's $15 now. unbelievable

http://patch.com/new-jersey/hoboken/...land-tunnels-0

they blame it on post 9/11 security costs. what a bunch of BS. the Fed gives NY a TON of money for security.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
When I lived in NJ I used to commute to NYC by train. The train system was quite good and cheaper and faster than driving in. It usually though was not at 100 percent capacity. Yet amazingly enough there were many who would drive into NYC rather than use the train. Of course, when we had a large snowfall all those drivers would then take the train which pushed it over-capacity. I would have two or three trains not stop at my station due to being full. I was actually glad when prices went up on the GWB and the tunnels in the hope that more people would use NT Transit so more trains could be added.
Ahhh, now I see, it's how they force people to use mass transit.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
For the record NJ had one of the lowest gas taxes in the country if not the lowest, this hike will put them into the average range.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
the GWB was $4 one way (into NYC) in the mid to late 90's. now its $14. that's a heck of an inflation jump

ETA: actually, it's $15 now. unbelievable

Toll Hikes Take Effect in N.J. On Sunday: Includes GWB, Lincoln and... - Hoboken NJ Patch

they blame it on post 9/11 security costs. what a bunch of BS. the Fed gives NY a TON of money for security.
It really is absurd. And I thought the Philly bridges were bad, going from $2-3 a few years ago to $5.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 AM

596 posts, read 428,328 times
Washingtonian checking in. We're usually first or second with highest gas taxes in the country. When we're second we like to raise the gas tax so we're first.

Hopefully we're still first, so the taxes don't jump up....again.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For the record NJ had one of the lowest gas taxes in the country if not the lowest, this hike will put them into the average range.
True but before this NJ had among the lowest gas prices in the region. Now people from out of state will think twice about filling up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies