Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
And when it comes to Jersey, that's a GROSS understatement. Corruption swallows up a whole lot of tax money.

Also blows though private donations. Jeff Suckerberg's 100 million to Newark schools comes to mind, lol.

Google the School Construction Corporation boondoogle. That's just one instance. over 8 billion smackaroos to the so-called under performing districts and...............well here's the initial findings of the Inspector General's initial report:

http://nj.gov/comptroller/news/oig/p...ary_report.pdf

We have a lot of low information voters how don't know what School Construction Corp or Abbott Schools decision is or what they've amounted to.
Hmmmm....very interesting.

If it's so corrupt, why are conservatives always running off at the mouth about Chicago or Illinois? I'm beginning to think (actually, i always thought it) that half this country is just as corrupt or even MORE corrupt than the places that have the reputation for rank corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 06:22 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmmmm....very interesting.

If it's so corrupt, why are conservatives always running off at the mouth about Chicago or Illinois? I'm beginning to think (actually, i always thought it) that half this country is just as corrupt or even MORE corrupt than the places that have the reputation for rank corruption.
Don't liberals also mouth off about corruption in Chicago and/or Illinois? Hopefully not just if it's Repub corruption.

My opinion is, both NJ and IL have a loooong history of political corruption.

Who is worse? Who cares. It just screws the hardworking taxpayers.

Many NY politicians are in this guys crosshairs now:

Cuomo’s team on ‘lockdown’ as Preet Bharara digs deeper | New York Post

Old 07-01-2016, 08:14 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I was born and raised in NJ and just sold my NJ home. It is becoming a rich person's state. Some homes on the Ocean pay 90 thousand a year in property taxes. Many towns have multi million dollar homes and they pay high taxes. Gov . Corzine a dem. pushed up taxes. The dems in the senate like to spend. It is a liberal state. Illegals get discount college where out of state Americans pay full tuition. NJ is messed up. I was fortunate to live in a beach town that did have a public beach and large marina owned by my town which kept property taxes in check. They were high but not extreme.
Paying tolls still has stop and go traffic, one part of the parkway was known as death valley . Cars flipped over was a norm till they lowered the speed to 55 on that stretch of the parkway.
Aren't real estate taxes mostly governed by local municipalities? NJ has many republican towns where the tax rate is higher than neighboring democratic towns.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Aren't real estate taxes mostly governed by local municipalities? NJ has many republican towns where the tax rate is higher than neighboring democratic towns.
Yes they are. One problem is that the state also disburses other tax moneys to the school districts and that's the part that's way out of whack.

There are 590 or so school districts in NJ. Each with their own administrative bureaucracy. Nothing at the county level like many other states.

Additionally, the 16 or so Abbott (underperforming) districts get better than 60% of the cash the state doles out with little to no oversight. It's a real mess

Old 07-01-2016, 08:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
What roads is the gas tax going to fix? Only interstates/non-toll roads and state maintained streets or what?

That is pretty steep for a gas tax. I'd probably look at moving back to PA in your shoes.

Our local city wanted to raise our local income tax to fix the city's streets, yet they couldn't tell us which streets they were going to fix and when. So I voted against that tax as did the majority of the city. Oddly enough, there is still a lot of road construction fixing streets this summer.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I went over the GW bridge when it was "only" $13 and asked what's next, my first born son? I think if they are going to charge that much, they should give you a lottery ticket.

I live in Tennessee. I have yet to pay any toll in 9 years here. Our state parks don't charge to enter, either. Plus, I have never had my car inspected in 9 years. Gas is currently $2.13 where I live.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:51 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
If people weren't aware, NJ had really cheap gas before.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I went over the GW bridge when it was "only" $13 and asked what's next, my first born son? I think if they are going to charge that much, they should give you a lottery ticket.

I live in Tennessee. I have yet to pay any toll in 9 years here. Our state parks don't charge to enter, either. Plus, I have never had my car inspected in 9 years. Gas is currently $2.13 where I live.
Yeah? Well we have great pizza.

Seriously, we did downsize the car inspection racket to emissions testing only

Old 07-01-2016, 08:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
If people weren't aware, NJ had really cheap gas before.
Yes, I used to make sure that I was near empty when driving through so I could take advantage.

It was one of the few benefits of living in NJ over NY. Now that is gone.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:57 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
The other absurdity is the abuse of the farm credit. Many wealthy large land owners put one cow on their property so they can call it a farm and pay almost no real estate tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies