Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

Yawn. Currently Tesla cars are still doing better then the human average on deaths per mile driven. The OP wants to spread alarm, but people need to face reality, In its INFANCY, the self driving Teslas have driven more miles per death then humans typically do, and its getting BETTER every day.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 PM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
According to sources, the white side of the truck with a brightly lit background, could not be detected by human eye or Tesla computer. There is a good possibility a video exists, since the owner had previously posted a video of his car automatically avoiding a crash. So we may have an opportunity to see if this statement is a cover up or reality.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=tesla
I have to raise the BS flag on that one. Unless it's in a blizzard a 40 foot long by 8 foot tall white box is quite visible to the human eye. Not to mention little things like the tires and undercarriage of the trailer. Sounds more like Tesla screwed the pooch and didn't do a responsible job of engineering and testing their system. Unless we're going to ban white car and trucks. But since it's Eldon Musk's baby I suspect they will get a pass.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I have to raise the BS flag on that one. Unless it's in a blizzard a 40 foot long by 8 foot tall white box is quite visible to the human eye. Not to mention little things like the tires and undercarriage of the trailer. Sounds more like Tesla screwed the pooch and didn't do a responsible job of engineering and testing their system. Unless we're going to ban white car and trucks. But since it's Eldon Musk's baby I suspect they will get a pass.
Does not compute. The frontal sensors in most such systems include radar so it should have at least braked hard. May turn out an interaction between the operator and the system.

Should be an interesting report.

Most important thing is to get the data and the understanding.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:03 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yawn. Currently Tesla cars are still doing better then the human average on deaths per mile driven. The OP wants to spread alarm, but people need to face reality, In its INFANCY, the self driving Teslas have driven more miles per death then humans typically do, and its getting BETTER every day.
'Self-driving' cars do not have anywhere close to even an infinitesimal fraction of 100 million vehicles miles on the road.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:12 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
_"Self-Driving Tesla Was Involved in Fatal Crash, U.S. Says"_
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/bu...stigation.html

The procedural (not to mention ethics) decision trees are barely, remotely begun, and the computer vision and situational awareness is basely primitive. Public road tests are being started decades before they should be, if ever. Hubris, delusion, avg. intellect are guiding principles in the development and deployment of cars like this.
Not really. Hubris, delusion, avg. intellect are guiding principles in purchasing cars like this and operating them in unsafe ways. That car was never designed to be "just take your hands off the wheel and read a book while we do the driving for you."

Old 07-01-2016, 12:37 AM

926 posts, read 978,405 times
i felt very emotional and broken hearted due to several factors:
- tesla is a great company, visionary ideas, i know thereare lot issues, but larger ideals are grand and this happened.
- i feel very bad of the owner who passed specially because he had faith in the system, praised it not long ago that it protected him from incident and this happened, the way it happened brutally is nothing short of breathtaking.

But what is the problem with AI, deep learning and robotic technologies today?
First of all, those new fields of science is great thing but applied to wrong thing. AI, deep learning is not being used for solving societal problems, why no-one is concerned or find a way for it to find the use in the application of
- reserving environmental damage
- poverty reduction
- medical research

But instead they are being used for such ****ing stupid purposes, lame and downright miserable:
- intelligent ad targeting users based on their online shopping behavior
- self driving cars so that drivers become more stupid, lazy and fat!!
- automated phone assisting system so that customers will never face with real person but has to interact with disembodied stupid, error-phone robotic interaction system.

Sometimes I feel nuts how the new technologies are being adopted. I guess I can draw parallel this to nuclear arm race. Instead of harnessing nuclear power for good of society, countries have used to threaten, bully each other. It is just human nature.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:27 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
'Self-driving' cars do not have anywhere close to even an infinitesimal fraction of 100 million vehicles miles on the road.
Tesla customers have driven 100 million miles with Autopilot active | The Verge

Over 100 million and counting for JUST Teslas.

Any more factually incorrect information?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Does not compute. The frontal sensors in most such systems include radar so it should have at least braked hard. May turn out an interaction between the operator and the system.

Should be an interesting report.

Most important thing is to get the data and the understanding.
It will be-I want to know more about the engineering behind the system. What sensors do they use (radar? optical? ultrasonic?). It's possible whatever sensors were there were only scanning say 2-3 feet above the road surface and "looked" under the trailer and didn't detect it. If so, Tesla screwed up badly-in the scheme of autonomous vehicle scenarios this one is pretty predictable. Right now we just don't know.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:11 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Maybe they should change the name to Darwin?

Old 07-01-2016, 07:33 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Tesla customers have driven 100 million miles with Autopilot active | The Verge

Over 100 million and counting for JUST Teslas.

Any more factually incorrect information?
They have. IMO this is not yet a good enough result. But no doubt it will improve. Or I should say it BETTER improve.

"This is the first known fatality in just over 130 million miles where Autopilot was activated. Among all vehicles in the US, there is a fatality every 94 million miles. Worldwide, there is a fatality approximately every 60 million miles."

https://www.teslamotors.com/blog/tragic-loss

\
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies