Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Dems Right that America Should Evolve on the Topic of Pot?
Yes 8 66.67%
No 4 33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 07:08 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Bill McKibben, proposed a plank that read: "We will refocus our drug policy by removing marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act and allowing states to set their own policies."But that language was quickly tabled, and after some discussion, the panel unanimously adopted the following language:
"We believe that the states should be laboratories of democracy on the issue of marijuana, and those states that want to decriminalize marijuana should be able to do so. We support policies that will allow more research to be done on marijuana, as well as reforming our laws to allow legal marijuana businesses to exist without uncertainty. And we recognize our current marijuana laws have had an unacceptable disparate impact, with arrest rates for African Americans far outstripping arrest rates among whites despite similar usage rates."
It appears that the DNC is feeling the bern. I do wonder how far left they will go on some issues though. They want to get as many progressives as possible without alienating the independent centerists that will determine the election. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 07:13 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I'd have to be pretty high to vote for a Democrat.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I'd have to be pretty high to vote for a Democrat.
Well, at least you'd be legal. Most people just have to be pretty stupid to vote for a Democrat.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:21 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Well, at least you'd be legal. Most people just have to be pretty stupid to vote for a Democrat.
Unless the alternative is a Republican.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
I will add a poll. Since the first few comments didn't get us off to a good start.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:50 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Public opinion is largely shifting in favor of legalizing pot. Liberals are pretty much all for it, Libertarians have always been for it. Really, the only holdouts are pseudo-conservatives who never practice what they preach (like small government and individual freedom).

A huge chunk of people that I know have absolutely no interest in every smoking the stuff and they all agree that the current policy is absurd. I know few who really think it should be illegal and even if they do, think we expend far too much energy on dealing with it.

So yes, the Democrats are considering something that I actually agree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies