Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 07:21 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times

Advertisements

TSA = totally stupid a holes!

This is the federal government version of McDonald's. What an inept group of idiots. Their failures are many yet kept hush hush while their successes are few and far between. Here in El Paso they're pretty decent for the most part but in Chicago, you'd swear they picked up random idiots off the street, threw a uniform on them and started paying them.

I really hope that they can be dismantled in the future and have airport security returned to either the local law enforcement agency or a private company; either must be able to be held legally and financially liable for their hooligan like tactics.

Why are these TSA idiots unionized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, they should be glad the TSA is not packing weapons as she's have been shot down in record time...
The thought of that really scares me, if those TSA goons were allowed to be armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
1000s of dollars should be extracted!!!
I guess one could sue them but it's really the taxpayer who would be on the hook for that bill. They're not going to pay it and looking at the TSA idiots, they'd never be able to pay it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 08:53 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post

No, I think it's more that the majority of people know something you don't. In fact, I think it's safe to say that the majority of people know a lot more than you do, generally speaking, but in this particular instance it would suffice to say that anyone who took the trouble to actually read the OP would know far more about this incident than you do. Because the name of the woman who was assaulted by the TSA chimpanzee is clearly stated as "Cohen." Does that help you figure out the relevance of the name, or should I re-write my post in crayon?
Thank you. I wrote a more scathing response to our highly intelligent friend here and the mod decided to remove it. But that's the gist of what I said too.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Thank you. I wrote a more scathing response to our highly intelligent friend here and the mod decided to remove it. But that's the gist of what I said too.
He, like so many others, is just not getting the point of the situation. While the poorly trained, unqualified TSA agents go overboard with innocent passengers because they are unable to determine who is a threat and who isn't, the real bad guys get away.

Last edited by Minervah; 07-03-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 12:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
"""“Passengers can call ahead of time to learn more about the screening process for their particular needs or medical situation.â€""

She's been making the trip for 17 years. This ain't her first rodeo.

I hope the family sues them for a million dollars and wins.

Inbred, ignorant TSA worker.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:05 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
TSA pays, what, $12-15/hr. It's asking for a hell of a lot for basically someone who can't get a job that pays more than minimum wage. If you would, you wouldn't put up with a job that was as difficult to do as being a TSA agent is when you could just get a job at a call center for more money. I mean, that's crap work too but I'd much rather work in a call center than for the TSA.

So basically, that's your employment pool. People that aren't qualified to work at a call center or else enjoy having a position of authority to abuse people from. I don't mean to be entirely negative about it. It is a tough job but given it pays peanuts and everyone hates you and the pace at which they're expanding as well as churning through bodies... not sure what the average tenure is but the shortage of TSA agents is nothing new and only getting worse. Add it all up, and it doesn't surprise me in the least.

One of our clients handles workers' comp for Securitas so I get to meet a fair number of their employees. A lot of them took jobs with the TSA during the downturn. These aren't always the brightest people, although a lot of them are very intelligent but can't work in professional capacities here in the United States as the immigrated later in life and can't get their foot in the door here. A huge number work as taxi drivers and private security. Uniformly, they've all gotten out of the TSA as quickly as possible and back to private security. Top down TSA is just bad. The running orders coming down are to be very aggressive and heavy handed in security. There's a constant barrage of demands coming down from the top. They're severely understaffed and under pressure to do a nearly impossible job and do it faster with less people. Combine that with idiots and with a license to bully and encouragement to do so coming down from the top and well, it doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:29 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
TSA pays, what, $12-15/hr. It's asking for a hell of a lot for basically someone who can't get a job that pays more than minimum wage.
The salary band is $25.5K to $38.2K. I presume Memphis is on the low end of that so maybe $12.50 $13.00/hour starting pay. TSA compensation includes FEHB medical, dental, vision, and the other list of benefits that the typical completely unskilled worker in Memphis isn't going to get in a private sector job. The median household income in Memphis is $36,817. Unlike a lot of high cost of living places where the pool the TSA can hire from is the absolute bottom of the barrel, you'd expect Memphis to be able to hire somewhat more capable people since $25.5K with benefits as starting pay is pretty good money there.

I'm a road warrior. The TSA is a minor annoyance since what they do does very little to make travel safer. I try not to get all worked up about low income people who are lousy at their jobs.

In this case, I think anyone involved and everyone in the chain of command in Memphis should be fired with cause. This looks like a hiring mistake, bad training, and lousy supervision.

Old 07-03-2016, 03:51 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I read right over the young woman's name without it registering, but, yeah, now that you point it out, it's pretty obvious that she's Jewish, and I would think the TSA would be on alert for those kinds of clues.
Not that it applies in this particular instance but what should a name have to do with it? I could run down to the courthouse and change my name to O'Malley, Petrowsky, Petrucci, Goldberg or Smith and it would have, or should have, no bearing on whether or not I 'might' be a possible terrorist. I sincerely hope that such things are not used as clues, that's a frightening thought.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:17 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Well, Memphis is basically were the poor live in the area. Memphis metro isn't that far off the median income nationally. It's not as extreme as Detroit or anything but pretty classic poor inner city. Like I said though, basically people who aren't qualified to work in call centers. They pay more at the top of that band in Memphis as there's quite a lot of them. I wouldn't say it's low income people being bad at their jobs but if you pay absolute bottom of the barrel you tend to get the least qualified workers.

TSA is fairly in line for what most private security pays but it's about as nasty as private security can get. It's really all over the place as private security is very diverse. TSA definitely isn't one of those cushy jobs where you sit and watch cameras in a closed office buildings and walk around every two hours nor one of those warm fuzzy light security jobs that aren't much different than a candystriper or the old retired ladies do at a hospital. It's harder and more stressful than probably 95% of security jobs and the pay doesn't reflect that.

And yeah, it's the combination. Bottom of the barrel pay and you have to take bottom of the barrel employees. The direction from the top is very much bash heads aggressive security though. Kind of like the Starbucks workers that told the cop he couldn't use the restroom. It's some one who has been beaten on enough they're either afraid or incapable of thinking. Or the Best Buy cashier you have to tell three times you don't want the extended warranty on each item. They'd rather not be hardselling people on warranties but it's what they're told to do so they comply and harass customers. I've actually just walked out of Best Buy and left everything on the counter before. I don't really blame the cashier but it was ridiculous.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:20 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
[/b]

What do you mean the cops didn't have a choice? Since when don't cops have the choice on who they put in jail? Shame on them as well.
I think in this type of situation the TSA is the arresting authority. They just don't have any jails, so they call the locals who are basically just there to process them and detain them in accordance with our legal system.

So I don't think the cops have a choice on who the TSA decides to arrest. Perhaps a cop or someone else in the know can comment.

Blaming the cops in this case would be like blaming prison guards for taking custody of someone and putting them in jail. They aren't the ones who decide who goes in and who gets out. The cops in this case are more like prison guards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
*crickets*

Uh...ok...I've never heard of that name. You know something the majority of us don't?
No, I think your one of the few who doesn't know, since its the name of the family from the news article in the first post.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
TSA pays, what, $12-15/hr. It's asking for a hell of a lot for basically someone who can't get a job that pays more than minimum wage. If you would, you wouldn't put up with a job that was as difficult to do as being a TSA agent is when you could just get a job at a call center for more money. I mean, that's crap work too but I'd much rather work in a call center than for the TSA.

So basically, that's your employment pool. People that aren't qualified to work at a call center or else enjoy having a position of authority to abuse people from. I don't mean to be entirely negative about it. It is a tough job but given it pays peanuts and everyone hates you and the pace at which they're expanding as well as churning through bodies... not sure what the average tenure is but the shortage of TSA agents is nothing new and only getting worse. Add it all up, and it doesn't surprise me in the least.

One of our clients handles workers' comp for Securitas so I get to meet a fair number of their employees. A lot of them took jobs with the TSA during the downturn. These aren't always the brightest people, although a lot of them are very intelligent but can't work in professional capacities here in the United States as the immigrated later in life and can't get their foot in the door here. A huge number work as taxi drivers and private security. Uniformly, they've all gotten out of the TSA as quickly as possible and back to private security. Top down TSA is just bad. The running orders coming down are to be very aggressive and heavy handed in security. There's a constant barrage of demands coming down from the top. They're severely understaffed and under pressure to do a nearly impossible job and do it faster with less people. Combine that with idiots and with a license to bully and encouragement to do so coming down from the top and well, it doesn't surprise me at all.

$12-15 an hour is a King's Ransom in Oklahoma! I bet the Tulsa and OKC airport TSA make way less. There's folks with PhDs making $11 an hour there. Gotta love those red states. If they DO pay that at Tulsa and OKC then that explains why they are pretty good. Thats a fortune there so they can get the better ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies